3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St. Joe River Bows = 100% custom!!  (Read 842 times)

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
St. Joe River Bows = 100% custom!!
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
A while back I asked Tracey to build me a new longbow but I wanted something she hadn't done yet. I'm a fan of the narrow limbed Hill bows but am way more accurate with the R/D hybrids.

This bow was to be almost entirely walnut. The catch was to make the limbs very narrow and deeper from their normal form and the riser/shelf was to be different from their norm also.

The shelf is just wide enough to hold an arrow and it sits right on top of my hand, I'm about 1/16 above my hand. Low wrist grip.

She was more than happy to take on the request and about a week and a half ago I got a chance to see it and shoot it! It was in the rough stages of completion but it shot fast and VERY smooth.

I got to watch Tracey work her magic on the grip with a rasp and we kept shooting till the grip was an exact match and the contact points were right on the money.

The hand cut walnut laminates match perfectly on the top and bottom limbs and on the back and belly. This had to be time consuming and a meticulous feat. I was there to witness the reveal when the tape came off the limbs and it was jaw dropping beautiful. There is even a knot that appears on all sides, top and bottom limbs.

I got a message yesterday that the bow is ready. OMG I SO cannot wait!!!!  I will get to take it into the woods for spring turkey, YAY!

I don't know of any bowyers that will change the design on the limbs and riser per request. I know many wood options, grips type and overlay extras can be added to most custom bows, but I don't know any that will stray from their basic form.

I guess what I'm saying is S.J.R. bows are truly custom, even down to how you want the limbs built.

I admire the patience Tracey has, she is VERY meticulous and picky, LOL!!! If you have the time to drive over and have the bow fit "to you", she will take the time to shape it so it fits like a glove.  

I get to pick up my new baby tomorrow and hopefully will have some pics up by Friday.      :goldtooth:  

BTW the specs are 60 inches long and 58@28. Walnut riser and limbs with bamboo/uniweft core. Red and black tip /riser overlays and a red I beam running through the riser. This bow is insanely cool.     :cool:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Joe River Bows = 100% custom!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Cool, can't wait to see pictures!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
SWEET Can't wait to see pics and see her perform!!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
I've seen a couple pictures Arwin, when are you going to unvail it to all of us?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
I've seen a couple pictures Arwin, when are you going to unvail it to all of us?
He hasn't even seen the final product yet Mike He will have it in his hands in about an hour
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
I can't wait to see the pics.  :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Custom'ness all the way with St Joe.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Can't wait to see the pics also, I've always like the looks of their bows.  This one will be extra special, you're going to love taking that to the woods.
-Jay

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Arwin recieved the bow late Thursday and was buy setting it up Friday and is Turkey hunting with it this morning so I will help with some pictures. He will have a few more soon I am sure

Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Nice bow, I'm sure Arwin will break it in correctly..
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Impressive.

Offline monsterchelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Nice bow
" Out of a mans heart, The issues of life flow"

Black Widow PSR-V
               47# @ 27
              Howard Hill Montana
               50# @ 27

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
OUTSTANDING looking bow. Oh to be young again and be able to shoot a 58#er. Have fun with it in the woods.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Very nice!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
This thing is a rocket launcher and SO very very very quiet. In all honesty, this IS the fastest longbow I've owned and over the last 10 years, there have been MANY longbows in my hand.

Tracey is an outstanding bowyer. The fit of the grip is amazing and the shelf sits perfectly on top of my hand. I can slightly feel feathers during each shot, which is exactly what I like.

58# is 8# higher than my normal shooting weight. I needed something that has flatter trajectory. I've spent the better of 2 months building up for the heavier weight so I won't hurt myself.

Gap shooting or arc shooting isn't one of my strengths, I just stare at my target and let it rip. That works great out to 18yds but after that I tend to get a little sloppy and my groups wander.

This way I can maintain my shooting method without having to guess as much. I don't shoot past 25yds in a hunting scenario but really enjoy long distance practice on stumps or 3-D ranges.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Beautiful Bow Arwin!...CONGRATS
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arwin:
Gap shooting or arc shooting isn't one of my strengths, I just stare at my target and let it rip. That works great out to 18yds but after that I tend to get a little sloppy and my groups wander.
That's exactly how I work as well.  People always ask me why I handi-cap myself with a stick...the last 23deer I killed with wheels were all closer than 15yds.  I then reply why do they always handi-cap themselves by not getting as close to quarry as possible?  

Arwin that grip looks exactly like the grip on my 58" ST Joe 'curve.  Narrow at the back with harder edges...really seems to find it's way into the lifeline of my palm and allows me to really heal the crap out of it.  Of course we did go opposite directions with our recent builds...I went uber heavy mass wise, while you went super light.  

I think I'm going to give a longbow a try though...I've got this 56" curve laying around that I may have to see about trading in on an instock model.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Congrats on the new bow Arwin...it is a beauty!

I hope you get to put it to good use.

I am EXTREMELY proud of the quality of bows produced by Michigan bowyers...

Great job St. Joe River Bows!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
REAL nice!  :thumbsup:  Hope to see you shooting it at Compton's or GLLI Arwin. Good luck with the turkeys. Break it in right!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Nice looking bow Arwin, now get on her good side and bring her down south to chase some pigs next year!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©