3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NM Classic, what spine wood arrows?  (Read 314 times)

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
NM Classic, what spine wood arrows?
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I just picked up a Northern Mist Classic, 68" 50#@28". This is my first Hill Style bow:

I've adapted to the straight grip quite well. I thought it might be a bit of a challenge going from the grips on my Prairie Nomad and Whip, but I guess I'm fairly adaptable.

I'm a bit "tuning challenged" anyway, but shooting this style bow with a minimal shelf cut no where near center has me a bit intimidated when trying to pick the correct spine weight.

My draw length is right at 28", and I would like to shoot a 145 - 160 gn point. The arrows in the photo are 30.5" 60-65 with a 145 gn point that shoot fairly well out of the other bows, but seem to be too stiff for the Classic. What would be a good rule of thumb for picking the correct spine for this type of bow?

Thanks.
Chuck

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NM Classic, what spine wood arrows?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
If you want to stay with a 30" arrow and a 160 pt, probably a 55/60. If you want 28-29" go with a 50/55.

Might be worth putting a 160 pt on those arrows just to try and see where it gets you.

Steve's bows are cut a ways from center and dont need a stiff spine. Its also makes them a little more picky for the correct spine. Brace height around 6.5 is a good place to start.

Eric

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
A Hill style will generally shoot a 28" arrow with 125 point spined a little under draw weight. That would work out to a 55-59 cut 29" with a 160 gr point.  Your experience with the 60-65's tells me maybe more like a 50-54.  Depth of shelf cut has a bunch to do with the spine you will shoot.  A few test arrows should be a big help.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I do have three 55-60's to play with. I shot them full length with 125 gns, but it was a bit breezy, so i couldn't get a good read on the flight.
Chuck

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
Congrats on the new bow. I almost pulled the trigger on that one myself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©