3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: first trad turkey  (Read 633 times)

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
first trad turkey
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I tried last year to kill a bird with my Morrison and it never happened. After many almost hunts but no shots I traded the Morrison in for the 870 and killed a nice bird which was my first bird. But this year I wasn't going to take the easy road out and trade the bow for a gun. I had made my mind up I was going to use a longbow I built last august.

I watched a few toms the week before season and had 2 toms figured out. Like clock work 2 hens would lead them into a field at the same place about the same time every day. I had my ambush spot all  picked out for opening morning.
 Opening morning the 4 birds hit the field like usual, a little late but from the same spot. Much to my surprise I watched them do something they had yet to show me.... the fed off in the field the wrong direction. Away from my set up. I watched as the slowly strutted and gobbled their way out of sight. I had made up my mind after they walked away I was going to set up closer to where they enter the field not were they end up. I work 6 days a week and have very limited time to hunt and new I needed to get a little more aggressive this year then I was last year. So I talked to the boss and he was kind enough to let me come in a little late the next morning.
 So the next morning, April 24th found me in my blind at 5:30 and to the best of my ability in the dark close to the trail the turkeys used to enter the field. At 6:00 the toms woke up and started gobbling. 2 near me in the woods and one across the field by where I was the morning before. They hammered away all morning but once on the ground they threw curve ball number 2 at me, they headed straight away from me deeper into the woods. So being it was so early I didn't get to discouraged. I'd let out a couple yelps every now and again and soon. I had a hen join in with my decoys a little after 7:00. Now the toms sounded to like they were making a big circle and getting a little closer. Just as quick as the hen showed up she took off to another hen east of the blind by about 50 yards.
 I kept calling and soon it was obvious that one of the toms at left the other and was closing in on my set up. It wasn't to long and he let out a gobble that sounded straight west of the blind. I peeked out the window and soon spotted a red head in some tall grass indeed straight west on my blind by about 60 yards. I peeked to the east and saw the 2 hens still feeding and thought perfect he's going to have to pass my set up. It took him 15 minutes or so to strut his way into shooting range. At about 15 or so yards out I got my bow up and ready with some tension on the string. One he was about 5 yards from my decoy he started side stepping up to it. He was facing me in full strut at 11 yards. Once he bumped the decoy he stopped moving long enough for me to draw and find my anchor. Before I knew it my tree shark tipped surewood was on its way. The impact was so hard it knocked him back down on it butt, but to my surprise he stood back up with half my shaft sticking. No flopping around or trying to fly he just stood back up and took 3 or so little bunny hops and then just kind of laid down in the field. I couldn't see him because of the taller grass Infront of the blind so waited about 10 minutesi watched carefully but saw no movement so decided it check out my trophy.

Just as I had hoped down for the count! I was excited and in shock that it had all come together and I had indeed harvested my first turkey with Trad gear! I didn't even second guess myself as I drove right past work and kept going straight to the taxidermist. In all my excitement I forgot to measure his beard which is every bit of 9.5 maybe even 10 inches and his spur which are over an inch for sure. When I got the meat back from the taxidermist he had weighted him and said he tipped the scales at 23.6 pounds.
 My bow is a 60" hybrid longbow that's 55@28 and like i mentioned I was shooting tree shark tipped surewood shafts with turkey feather fletchings from last years bird.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first trad turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Congrats dlnwohio! Nice shot,and bird. I to killed my 1st ever with my longbow this year.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Very nice.  I think we should start a "Turkey Success Photo Thread" as there seems to be  a lot of successful turkey hunters this Spring.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Nice job as well riverrat! Its quite the feeling isn't it!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Way to go sir! Congratulations!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Yes sir it is. Right up there with deer hunting.
Love the early morning conversation you have with the Tom's and Jake's while they are coming off roost. And watching those blue heads appear out of nowhere it seems.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Congrats great job and beautiful arrows and bow
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Nice job on a big Ohio gobbler!!!

Online Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Congrats on the turkey,and that's a nice set-up to.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Nice work!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Woot!! Way to go man!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Good Stuff...Congrats!
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
A huge congratulations on your first bird with a bow you made yourself!!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
congratts!  :thumbsup:  show us your bird when you get it back from the taxi, please  :thumbsup:

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Congratulations David!...you did a great job! very nice story and pics!

Kenny   :clapper:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
NICE!!!
Congratulations
Glenn

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Arrow30 I plan on showing it off when I get it back. I should have my buck from last fall back in a week or so. I plan on showing that off and the story too. That was my first trade buck too. And thanks everyone for the complements! I really appreciate it

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Congrats!!!RC

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
great job!!!! i missed on this morning with a 12Guage   :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Congrats! Very nice.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©