3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Flemish  (Read 523 times)

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
First Flemish
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Made my first flemish last night and it turned out to long. Did some research on jigs and seen where some plans mihgt be AMO. I noticed 3 differant jig measurements including mine and wonder if that is the problem. I'm talking my string was a couple inches longer than it should have been. Kinda sux becaause I put building a string off thinking how hard it would be and it really wasn't but its not right either. Now what?

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Flemish
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »
I just made a string jig from some internet plans.  The measurements are off about 2" if I follow the formula that came with it, so I've made adjustments by making more strings and keeping good notes on what I did.  Usually I will get it on the second try, but sometimes it takes 3 strings before I get one the length I would consider acceptable.  

Once I got a few strings made that turned out the right length, I used the notes I kept when making them to mark my string jig accordingly.  Now I use a flexible tape measure (the kind tailors use) to measure nock to nock, and they come out right.  The good news is, while I got my jig adjusted accordingly, I really learned how to make a decent string!
Ron

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
My string jig makes them 1" longer than they should be. If I want a 64" string I put my peg in the 63" hole and the string comes out just right. Everyone has a different formula for making loops  and this varies the finished string length. Once you get the right formula for your jig, your strings will come out just right.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
It just takes some practice, especially with flemish.  Everyone is a little different, so even using the same jig you might get a different length than the next guy.  I measure before I start my second loop--works for me.

Chad

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I built a jig.  Strings come out about 1/2 - 1 inch too long.  But I like mine tight twisted, sit it works plenty good.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Goofed up my post, sorrey!
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©