3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many use tracking dogs after the shot  (Read 914 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many use tracking dogs after the shot
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
This will be the frist year it is legal in Utah. I have a dachshund that might just get his frist chance this year. I have never trained him officially but he is O.C.D with wild game. I let him retrive a rabbit that was doing the death squill in front of my daughter when she was very young. Ever since he has been O.C.D. It's hard to shoot any kind of weapon around him because he thinks something is going to be dead. He has been know to retrive lead from a gun shot hundreds of yards out and always gaurds the meat pole like nothing other. I really think that this has been a silly law that has keep a good dog from doing his destiny. I hope to give the old boy a chance this upcoming season for his sake.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Haven't yet. Here(NY) we can if we lose a blood trail but we have to call one in
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Since I shoot low poundage recurves, all of my shots are 20 yards or less and I wait for my favorite broadside lung shot. If one of my self imposed parameters isn't there, I let the animal walk.

With the above two parameters in place, I get very good blood trails and no animal goes far without lungs. For this reason, I don't need a tracking dog.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Yep, into it bigtime!  We love tracking.  Search "Oskar" on here and you'll find some threads.  We've found 24 deer in the first 3 years with our standard smooth Euro. Dachshund that my wife trained.

PAVAN - its legal in Iowa now.  Last year was the first year.  I was involved a little bit with that over the last couple years.

Ryan

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
I envey you night wing. I have a hard time with the blood trail even if it gushing from my 1-7/8" cut GK heads.
When I had kids at home, I would just go get one of them. They grew up and moved away so I guess I traded my kids for a dog.
Taken as a whole, she is alot less trouble.

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
We dont have a dog for tracking, but if we have trouble finding a deer, we cross the creek and get my father in law, he is unbelievable at tracking, even at 71 his eyes see things that I cant see.
Boomer Sooner

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
My tracking dog doesn't discriminate between bow and gun shot deer.  if your a dog person like I am, we go help anyone that needs it.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Here in France, dog specially brought up to follow blood tracks are very popular and in each part of the country you can find a dog along with his owner who will gladly come if you need. They are all members of a specific association working with hunters (rifle and bow). For us it is really a part of the hunt, very interesting and informative.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Joey, your Lab sure can sniff out a rock roller.

Night Wing, glad to here of your success. How many deer you kill last year?
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
They aren't legal in Mass..but it is legal to walk your dog on a leash.  I seem to take a few walks late at night in the woods with my two Dachshunds (Tilly & Cash)...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by batman:
Night Wing, glad to here of your success. How many deer you kill last year?
I didn't kill any deer last year.

The severe drought in Texas took it's toll on our deer population. Our daily summer temperatures were around 103-106 degrees everyday from late May through August of 2011. Also, we had severe fires that wiped out thousands of acres where I hunt. One such fire crept to within 300 yards of my home in southeast Texas north of Houston. I didn't see any deer during daylight hours during the hunting season. Only saw them at night and they were far and few inbetween when they were crossing roads.  

Lastly, we have the "Rule of 13" for antler restrictions in some Texas counties and I live and bowhunt in these counties where the rule is enforced. Where I live in southeast Texas, our deer have high basket type racks so a mature deer sometimes won't have an inside spread of 13". In essence, TPW made our once legal buck deer, are now illegal to shoot because they won't make the inside rule spread. BTW, I'm no fan of antler restriction rules.

Got anymore questions since I think you're implying something?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Joe, not implying anything. I didn't kill a deer last year either. Sorry if  you missed my meaning. I'd invite you to take a chance on winning our turkey hunt on the st judes auction. would be a great time. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I bring out the dog regardless of how good the shot is. Just love to watch him do his job.
Bill

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Night wing, do you hunt Sam Houston or Crockett? I know there were bad fires in both places.
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by batman:
Joe, not implying anything. I didn't kill a deer last year either. Sorry if  you missed my meaning. I'd invite you to take a chance on winning our turkey hunt on the st judes auction. would be a great time. Don
Even if I won, it's too far to travel for me.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Breeze430:
Night wing, do you hunt Sam Houston or Crockett? I know there were bad fires in both places.
I bowhunt in the Magnolia/Tomball area which is about 38 miles north northwest of Houston. Our area got devastated by the drought first and then the very bad fires. I'm lucky the fires didn't burn down my home. I tend to stay away from the public land of Sam Houston since it's hunted very hard.

This spring, with the new growth coming up after the fires, I still haven't seen very many deer tracks. I think the drought got our deer in our area.

I feed corn on my property (I don't hunt the animals which come to the the corn) and the only animals in numbers eating the corn are fox and gray (cat) squirrels.

I think it will take 2-4 years for our deer population to come back to it's former self while hoping another severe drought doesn't return for this summer.

We still have our feral hogs though, but even their population has been hurt by the drought and fires.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
So what breeds do most of you own that cold/blood track?

I remember a choc lab at Willow Point in 80s named Buster that was a phenom.

I am very interested in the  short and wire hair dachshund or lacys.   Especially since they don't shed.

I have read the bible of tracking dogs. " tracking wounded deer " by John J. ?     Great book. About 400 Pages
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »

Just getttin into it myself, this black mouth cur pup of mine was just a couple months old and lead my wife right to this doe.....looking forward to this fall!
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Joey,
My two Dachshunds (smooth & wire-haired) are out of the Jeanneney line. Great noses and super pets.

Tilly...the Mom

Cash...Tilly's pup on top

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
I would love to have a good blood dog.  Only problem is I don't get to hunt enough to keep one trained.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©