3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit pictures???  (Read 609 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suit pictures???
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Alright, I'm on the fence right now.  I have a leafy suit and have enjoyed the success I have achieved with it on, but I have set a goal this year, and I think that taking it to the next level by getting a ghillie suit is in order.

I have never had a problem with making things, and most are quite useful if I must say so myself, with that being said, I think it is time to get off my wallet just this once and splurge.  I'm thinking the Rancho Safari.  

What are your opinions of this suit, and most importantly, I (along with everyone on here) would love to see pictures of you in your ghillie while in hunting situations.

Thank you in advance,

Mike
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit pictures???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
look at my avatar.  I made mine from a leafy suit.  I just bought the dyed jute from bush*****om .  cut some slits, and ties them on.  custom tailored it to what I needed.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I have the RS ultralight ghillie.  It has less stuff on it than my buddies and no yarn.  I have had critters nearly step on me SOOO many times.  Plus, the long coat is made of a woven netting material so I can (and do) buy other colors of cloth and weave them thru to change the pattens and colors.  That is what ghillies are meant to do.   I hunt with it more every year and will not be without one.  You can make one,  but even at the RS price. .  it is a cheap, but well made investment.

If you get or make one. .  add another thread asking for advice and lots will tell you what they do to make them more user friendly, so you avoid the mistakes and "ooops" time.
ChuckC

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
this guille is from redrock from texas, very light, since i didn't want one that had to much green in it i got the desert camo and touched it up with camo paint to my liking, and added some artificial leaves to it on the outside edges to breakup the edges.

i think more green would have been better in this setting.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
If you make or buy one make sure to do this ONE thing above all else.

Draw your bow back with the ghillie ON, and cut back any of the jute or string that might contact the string, etc. This will prevent any hangups in the field. Also practice with it on.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
I am on my way out the door, no time to take pic's. I will try this weekend. I took a 1 piece camo coverall and cut strips from a Rancho Safari blind and sewd them in just the right places for shooting bow. I made a hat to match and applied the material to my ALICE military pack. I had enough material left over using in front or behind me when seated on the ground. All this rolls up into a nice roll including my 3 legged chair. I can't wait to hunt with it!!!
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
I have a pic somewhere of one of my old ones, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Knowing you're a crafty guy, I'd suggest making your own. It's not hard and if it doesn't save you a few bucks it will at least be custom built for your needs. You'll also be quicker to rip stuff off and add stuff on if you build it yourself.
Thom

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Find a suit you like that is quiet.  The most important thing is that you can shoot wearing it, and that you have the appropriate cover in back of you.  It is no different than other forms of camo, you need to blend with surroundings and keep still.

You see in this photo I am relatively outlined in the open:

In this shot you can see I am blended fairly well (except for the back quiver).

By the way this is a cheapo $69 suit for a big box outlet.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »

*This is a Bushrag I picked up last year. Marc Anthony is a wheelie-dude who kills a bunch of big deer off the ground in them. I bought a "green" one for turkies and it was magic this year. You can buy an extra "jute/camo" package and build yourself a hat as the hood on the jacket messes with my peripheral vision. Also I used it late last year and crawled to 30 yards of a bedded buck and doe. I didn't shoot as I was being stupid (picky) and let the the 4by4 and the doe do their thing while I took picks.

I like it cause it is light and worn with regular pants it breaks things up especially in honeysuckle. That is my favorite set-up. The shaggy longcoat looked awesome but man it felt heavy when I put it on so I bought this.
Mike Davenport

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »

Large bucket hat with fabric glue and some artificial leaves. Face mask has some strips tied onto some slits I cut on the left side. Sewed some camo screen onto the top to cover my eyes better. Burlap poncho with LOTS of fabric tied on. I use some elastic strips from a fabric store to hold it around my trunk and reduce the chance of it interfering with my bow.  It does take some fine tuning.  After building this one I would say it would be a lot easier to buy one but at the same time I think mine works just as well as the commercial models.
CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
I also have the Bushrag in the fall brown. I was amazed last year when I had a doe and good buck walk past me, stop and look then continue on with no concern. Someone mentioned trimming to avoid catching your string. I did that and will add this due to my experience with the buck mentioned above. Trim it out side in the wind. Little strings will blow around that you never saw before. They have an incredible knack for catching your bowstring during a shot. I can't wait to put it back on.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I've got the same brand as mike. But mine is the brown fall color. The one Mark designed is well thought out and is very lite. I spent more time in it last season than I did in a tree stand. Passed up numerous shot opportunities.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Curt (Guru) has a great build along for a Ghillie in the "how-to".

Eric

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I do appreciate all the info, especially all the emails and PM's explaining to me how to build my own, but I do realize my own limits and decided since Sunday is my 40th birthday I deserve to take ground pounding to the next level, so I just bit the bullet and bought the top of the line Rancho ghillie.

I have full confidence you are going to be seeing a whole bunch of pictures of the abilities of this ghillie combined with the beauty of the Tall Tines longbow that will be accompanying me on the adventures.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Good luck! You're gonna love that Talltines too!
Mike Davenport

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by wapiti792:
 :thumbsup:   Good luck! You're gonna love that Talltines too!
A trully custom creation it will be.  I'm going to see if Steve O is up for displaying his highly tuned picture taking abilities to unvail it to the world.  My pictures have been compared stick figure drawings.

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Likewise with the suit that Marc Anthony sells,fall brown color.
Also Rancho Safari lite wt. suit.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
No pic's, but I do have a corn ball video I made! Keep in mind this was my first and only time as a movie star     :knothead:    LOL

I've been real happy with mine. I have made a few mod's to the coat & hat. I cut off the roll up straps on the coat. They are on the inside of the coat & can get under your feet. I also put a couple snaps in the hat bill to keep it clear of the bow string. I now just stuff it all in my back pack, bunge the seat on the pack & go.  just dont let game get in so close you can't get your bow drawn on them, that's been my biggest chalenge.

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Mike,

I bought the Rancho and sold it. For me it was heavy and noisy. You may like it fine. I will try to post some pic's soon of my Rancho modifications. I can't wait to try mine. I made it this winter so I havn't used it yet. I made this one piece coverall so I could wear whatever I wanted out to where I want to hunt, slip it on and hunt. Pic's soon!
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic: