3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone shoot the Easton FMJ arrows  (Read 681 times)

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone shoot the Easton FMJ arrows
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Any of you guys or gals shoot the full metal jacket arrows? If so what do you think about them?
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline L. Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone shoot the Easton FMJ arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Best arrow made in my humble opinion. Just wish they were cheaper!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I shoot them out of a couple of bows,some 400's and 500's.I like them,you get the nice slick aluminum outer surface and the small diameter.Plus they have alittle heavier GPI.

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Shot them for elk last fall. Liked 'em. Heavy, slick and tough. I went to them for a 300 spine. Long draw and heavy broadhead. 770g total weight. Flys great,  hits hard.

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
i use them in my 70# bows,heavy,slim,close to center,lots of punch,drop anything with one.accurate too

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
They are fantastic. For everything but stumping. The Aluminum wrap tends to "sheer" from the tip on hard impacts. That being said, for targets and hunting you cannot find a deeper penetrating arrow.
Tyler C. Moore

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Never shot the fmj, but shot ACC's for years.  ACCs were the flip-side of FMJ...(Alum inside, carbon outside), so they would be similar. I loved acc's, very forgiving, quiet, small diameter, and shot a wide-range of bow weights/types well.  My 3-49's shot well from 45#-55# recurves and up to 60# compounds with 150 grains up front (50 gr outsert + 125 gr BH).

There are some 3-60's in the classifieds at 28" fletched.  I shot this spine in 55# recurve with 125-150 upfront and also in 60-65# compound. Most shafts took 2-3 deer each before it hit a rock in the ground after full penetration.  
3-39 are .440 spine,
3-49 are .390 spine
3-60 are .340 spine

I expect the FMJs to be as good.
CoilSpring

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
I like them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
I love em, I shoot .300 32" long. Zippercurve, put a footing on the front of your FMJ's and the problem will go away. They are the toughest arrow I have shot hands down.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Love them.

Use JB Weld for the inserts and you won't need to foot them.

Did a little test here:

FMJ Test

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I started using them as a compromise to carbon as they are much tighter in specs. I like them alot. Also if you shoot gap or point of aim I find that the black color and micro diameter facilitate a good sight picture. I haven't hunted with them but I do prefer them to straight carbon in my target shooting. I haven't broken one yet but I would presume that the straightness of the shaft will degrade over time just as an aluminum will. I've been using them since last summer and they are still straight.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Very good product. I've had a set for just over a year now only problem with them is I lost one. I "will" buy another set. I have a dozen of the older Grizzly Stix and they shoot the same and so far just as tough.
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I shoot the Axis N fused 500. Are the FMJ 500 the same in spine? If so they will shoot the exact same if I make them the same as my Axis N fused 500.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Craig, the FMJ's will be slightly heavier but i doubt you will notice the difference.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by bendbig:
Very good product. I've had a set for just over a year now only problem with them is I lost one. I "will" buy another set. I have a dozen of the older Grizzly Stix and they shoot the same and so far just as tough.
You can buy singles from some dealers.  Online I know the dealer in Pennsylvania sells singles.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
I use FMJ arrows in my A&H ACS.  Like the shafts a lot.  I use them with 3" 4 fletch.  Carbon shafts are a little tougher.  But the FMJ shafts are far more durable than striaght aluminum.   You can slap them together on a target and the won't bend.

Insert and weight options are rather limited.  Also, small diamter points are rather hard to find.  3 Rivers has 145 grain target points but bigger than that and you'll end up using a larger diameter front point.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Kentucky Jeff, I buy 175 gr points from 3 Rivers and there 100 gr brass inserts. The brass inserts can be cut. I also buy From them Eastons broadhead adapter rings for the shafts. They are a little big so I sand them down with my belt sander. Now my points have a perfect taper to the shaft.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Craig,  Thanks for the tip.  I've not seen the 3RA 100 gr inserts.  I use the Easton 75/50 grain inserts.  I knew about the adaptor rings too.  Just seemed a little too much trouble.  But good to know.

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Craig:
I shoot the Axis N fused 500. Are the FMJ 500 the same in spine? If so they will shoot the exact same if I make them the same as my Axis N fused 500.
A 500 is a 500 is a 500.  That IS the spine.  Weight is very close but all the MFX/Axis arrows that are spined 500 will shoot the same.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Steve O, I thought the same, but there are sooo many shafts out there, I guess a Easton 500 shaft in any of there shafts is a 500. I know other companies use 500 and they are really stiff.
Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©