3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Caribou hunt pics and stories  (Read 468 times)

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Caribou hunt pics and stories
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Guys please post pictures of your caribou hunts... And some short stories.....

I'm going this fall and it's all I can think about! I need pictures and stories to feed my addiction !! Thanks John

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Caribou hunt pics and stories
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
Mr. rolltidehunter,
Where are you going?
Best Wishes

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
NW ALASKA

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Will try to do soon.  I have been on 3 great hunts and will try to scan some pics.  All of my hunts were before I had a good digital camera.  Caribou are addicting!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Can't wait Chris

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
click here  

Here's one for you..i am jealous! Good luck to you sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
I shot these two in 2006, 30 seconds apart. It can happen fast.

Tag out and this might walk past you at 5 paces, yep, it happened and it still haunts me.Pic was taken from my video camera. Choose wisely.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Oh Brian....  :notworthy:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »

Here is one of two that I took in the NWT back in 2001 when there was caribou. You will have a blast, one of the most exciting hunts that I have ever been on.
Mike

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Dream hunt for sure...   :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
Here they are!
These first two are from a trip to Shefferville, quebec in ? 95?  Hunted hard for 7 days and saw about 25 caribou. Got handed a horseshoe when this guy walked by at 26 yards and took an arrow. 4 rifle hunters with me on this trip and none got a bull!

Next trip Illiamna Ak in 99
Did a drop camp hunt for ten days. On the 6th day with things looking very bleak I got the opportunity to shoot this cow and took it.  As soon as we got to camp with the meat the super cub picked us up and headed to a more promising camp for our last 4 days.  The first day in camp I again struck caribou gold with a lucky stalk and a 4 yard shot on this pretty bull.  No other caribou were bow killed on this trip.

This is my last caribou taken.  This was from up in Northern Quebec with Tuttilik Outfitters in 2007?  Got lucky again on day one of a seven day hunt.  Happened to spot this bull a mile away and close in for the shot with my centaur. After this the caribou pretty well dried up and Its amazing how lucky I was.  Once again 2 other bowhunters and 4 rifleman in camp and no one else killed a big mature bull.
  Im really not lucky with most huntin so Caribou must be my thing.  My advice is enjoy the country more than anything and if a good one walks by kill it.  Be prepared to kill it the first day or the last  cause with caribou it really does seem to be feast or famine.  I still have never hit a good migration hunt where you see tons of animals but maybe someday.
  Have a great hunt!

"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
I went to Newfoundland several years ago. Had a great time.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by rolltidehunter:
Guys please post pictures of your caribou hunts... And some short stories.....

I'm going this fall and it's all I can think about! I need pictures and stories to feed my addiction !! Thanks John
John,
Have a great time this fall! I dream of going on a caribou hunt and seeing these pictures just fuels the flame, thanks for the post.
Regard’s,
Jim

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Be sure to check out the members video section here on this site. I have lost all of my pictures, but they are here in a slide show along with video my buddy took.....AWESOME bulls! The slide show and videos are under Bolin and Hammenstafer and just Hammenstafer. Enjoy and be sure to share your photos when you get back! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

Here are a couple I took in Labrador 8 years or so ago.  I love caribou hunting and would do it every year if I could.
    I agree with the feast or famine thing when it comes to caribou.  My hunt was great.  The first few days in camp, there were no caribou to be found.  On Sunday, you are not allowed to hunt in Labrador, so I went fishing.  There were some hard core fly fisherman up there with me that knew the ropes.  Since I grew up in Illinois, we don't exactly have alot of fly fishing opportunities so I'm not too handy with a flyrod.  These guys were there to catch trout, but the waters we were fishing were riddled with HUGE northern pike.  I thought these guys were nuts.  Everytime they would get a northen on the line, they were dissapointed.  They would rather catch the two pound trout!  They all laughed when I said "hell with the trout" and spent the entire day catching one giant northern after another on a fly rod.  Best fishing I have ever experienced.  Anyway, a few days after that there were still no caribou around.  The outfitter offered to fly us to another camp where caribou had been spotted.  Once we got to the next camp the action picked up.  I shot the first bull out on a very large island.  I hit him good but he ran and jumped in the lake and began swimming.  He did not make it too far.  Shot him with my trusty habu recurve and a woodsman head.  The next bull came a few days later.  I found a classic funnel type situation high on the backbone of a ridge.  Dead center of the ridge was a giant boulder I could use for cover.  Late in the day I heard the clicking of hooves and looked up and saw three nice bulls coming right down the pipe.  I let them pass by me and then shot the bigger of the three quartering away at about 15 yards.  My shot hit him a little further back than what I would have liked but I was able to keep him in sight and he went down quickly.  
   In my opinion there are few places as wild and beautiful as caribou country.  Caribou are not nearly as sophisticated as a whitetail but they are majestic animals to see in the wild.  It really gets your heart pumping when you look up and see giant velvet covered antlers coming your way.  Not to mention the fact that they are fantastic on the table.  Add some good late night campfires with a few beers, excellent fishing, and beautiful scenery and you have all the ingredients needed to create heaven on earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©