3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Bear experts  (Read 395 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Bear experts
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
It's probably just my OCD kicking in but I'm rethinking my gear after todays 3d shoot.  So what's it take to harvest black bear?  Are they deer tough or elk tough?  Sorry easterner here with zero bear experience!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Bear experts
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Not even deer tough.  They are thin skinned and easy to penetrate and kill.  A sharp BH in the right place and it's over very fast.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
They die quickly if hit right. I'm with Mike, I think on the whole, deer are tougher.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Me too, took a p and y bear in alaska , 10 yrs ago ,145 gr head zipped through and was over in less than 10 seconds!
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
I've guided for them and have taken 5 with the recurve. Thin skinned, but full of fat in the fall. Spring.... lean and mean.
The fur is heavy and very thick. Hit them low in the kill zone for better blood trail.  Quartering away is ALWAYS best, broadside is good, dont shoot at quartering towards you or frontal.
After the shot, DONT MOVE A MUSCLE. For 30 minutes at least. The longer you can sit without moving the better. This is where most hunters screw up. Make a good shot and dont let 'em know you are there. They wont go far. If you get on them while still alive, they will run on adreniline to the north pole. Seen it a ton of times.  Sit TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bear hunting isa so much fun, you will have a blast! A 45# recurve will take them, but shoot the heaviest you can accurately. If you can shoot heavier, do it.  You never know when they shift and you hit bone.
 Good luck!!!!!!  Take a deep breath and calm! Draw, pick a spot,shoot and watch while sitting absolutely still and quiet. It will seem an eternity but do it. Convince yourself beforehand. Sit still and your bear will be dead as a doornail close by if you've made the shot. If not a good shot, even more important to sit. Leave the bear alone. Let it stiffen up. It may die overnight.
David M. Conroy

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Easiest animal I've found to put down quickly. If you don't hit the shoulder they are relatively easy to penetrate. From a tree, half way up behind the shoulder will do just fine. Don't shoot them angling towards and have a sharp head.

Unsure of the shot...back out! Death moan...no need to wait any longer!

Any bow over #40 will do as long as it's tuned and your arrow is not too light....keep it over 500 gr. if your bow is light.

Last rule....post pix when you get home!

Ryan

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Currently shooting a 655gr. Arrow out of a #50 recurve.  Thinking of dropping down to a 530gr. Arrow, both tuned to perfect bullet holes in paper.   Will be spot and stalk, Montana fall bears.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
I wouldn't begin to say I am an expert, but I did get some experience last year.

My 53 pound recurve with a 600 grain arrow and sharp 2 blade head took care of the small bear in my avatar. We killed 12 bears with bows anywhere from 45lbs to 65lbs. There were 2 blade, 3 blade and 4 blade heads used. All set-ups worked well.

Shoot accurately and it will be fine.    :thumbsup:

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
All what is said above except I feel quartering away is not as good a shot as directly broadside.  The bears chest is more conical than a deer plus the ribs are wider.  The arrow has more tendency to skip out.  Broadside you know it's going in just stay away from the shoulder which is wider than a deer...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
So how do you shoot these critters?  Pictures i've seen seem to suggest the vitals are higher and further forward then deer, that sound about right?

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I usually wait till the bear exposes the vitals when it arise the front leg or make a step,then I shoot a little in front.No one of mine,2,made more than 40 yards.Both were pass through shots but I had bows of 61-65# and arrow in the 650 grains range.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
I have killed 6 of them and I shoot like I was shooting at a deer....tight behind the shoulder and broadside is preferable. They are very easy to kill if  you get both lungs and a liver shot is also deadly but needs a bit of time. In my experience the lungs are further back than most diagrams I have seen. I can't emphasize enough that you need razor sharp heads as blood trails can be difficult, but not always. Some bleed well, others do not. In my experience with Hunters Point, if a bear makes it more than 75 yards you probably will have a much longer trail than you want. You want to get both lungs, that's why broadside is the way to go.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Of the 3 bears I've killed and two by my buddy, all went between 30 and 60 yards. All but one was with super sharp Zwickey Delta two blades and one with a 3 blade Razorcap. As noted above any deer equipment with super sharp heads is more than adequate.  Most important thing is shot placement.  I've been on two trails with other hunters that went forever with lost animals. If you're hunting over bait, my advice is to take your time and get the perfect broadside or next best is just slight quartering away shot (broadside preferred). Again, if at a bait, don't rush it! Relax, take a deep breath. Draw and let down if you have to and then make a good shot.  You'll have a short to no trail if you double lung them.  My Michigan bears were all delicious, but you have to cool the meat quickly.  Keep them out of the sun for sure with that dark fur that soaks up heat.  Good luck.
P.S.
Don't get too high in a stand. My stands were all set around 10 feet up and were 12-15 yards from bait. Too high that close and you change your shot angle to where you're not getting a solid double lung hit.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
I've got the sharpening thing figured out, if my hairless arm and legs are any indication.  Appreciate all the help guys!!

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Bear seem to have the lungs further back than a deer. I've been lucky enough to make decent shots on bears but almost shot too far forward trying to keep tight to the front leg. I've seen two bears shot halfway back and have both lungs taken out. I intend to shoot bears from now on a few inches back from the leg, giving me plenty of margin off the front leg.  Broadside shots from a low stand centering the ribcage will get both lungs and make a short trail.
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Here ya go. Bear are one of the funnest critters to hunt  :thumbsup:

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Iam shooting GT 35/55 total weight 472gr. 10.8gr. per inch . bow is 43#@24" I draw 24 1/4"
I have the short draw affliction.  :bigsmyl:  
Will this do for Black Bear, going in September. :thumbsup:or down for arrow?
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
tb, I'd have to say you are on the low end edge.  More of any or all would help.  An exit hole is important for a bloodtrail.  If you go with that setup, choose your broadhead carefully and have it RAZOR sharp.

Where in IL are you?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Also make sure your in the legal poundage for where your hunting. Some are #45 or even #50.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
Fletcher
  From Mackinaw, Ill a little town SE of Peoria maybe 20 miles. Myself and ranger 3 from Trad Gang will be going to Hunterspoint Guide service in Maine.
"Never to old to learn something new"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©