3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where to go from #50?  (Read 400 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Where to go from #50?
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I've got a #50 bow that I love, and have been thinking of adding a second set of limbs.  So would you go #55 and work into them or go down to #45 for fun easy shooting.  Mostly a deer hunter, but like anyone I hope to chase larger critters in the future.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to go from #50?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
If you can handle the weight go up for sure , if you are comfortable with less weight go down .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
I would go up.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
What's wrong with 50 or 45 ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Why think of ordering new limbs if you can't think of the change you want to effect?

Killdeer   :dunno:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Dang Killie, you'd cause a guy to think!   Lol
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
If you can handle the weight go up for sure , if you are comfortable with less weight go down .
x2
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Get both- cover all bases
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by bfrbmj:
Get both- cover all bases
A voice of reason... and an empty bank account, lol.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
What's your draw length, if your shooting 50# at your draw you don't have to do anything.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
A five pound move either way is not enough to spend the money on. You not only have the expense of the limbs but potentially a whole new set of arrows for the new draw weight.

Whatever you are thinking of killing with 55# I am sure you can do it with what you already have.

That being said, I started with 45# and ended with 45#. It took me 25 years, a lot of bows, and a couple thousand dollars to work up to 65# and back down again. So don't listen to me!  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
If you want to hunt larger critters, then 60# is an all around good weight. And ten pounds is doable, unless you're 70 years+. Even if you get lucky in your own state's elk lottery, 50# is just edgy. Yes, you can kill with 50#, but elk have heavy bones and you really don't want to shoot at a big hog with 50#. All threads here about hogs show that 60#+ with 650 grain arrows penetrates about anything.

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Maybe think about how old you are and hows your strength and health conditions holding up. If you have a desirable bow a set of extra just maybe around and if you don't then maybe it may be a waste of money for you and you could consider another bow either heavier or lighter.

Heavier or lighter limbs mean nothing killing wise its not the bow that does it its only delivered by the bow. Know you bows cast and if your arrows are matched and tuned to the bow your in good shape.

The lighter set of limbs you will enjoy more shooting a lot and the heavier limbs will cast the arrow more power but not that much increase.

You didn't say if you were thinking of the same length either you could go with shorter or longer and accomplish a couple things and you can probably add differant core materials to your limbs to speed them up also who knows it could be limitless and only you can deside that for yourself.

Also another set of limbs could totally change the look of the bow also depending on glass options or veneers again options other than weight changes and killing capabilitys.

Now you have a few more things to consider with limbs added but first I would consider will I be able to get any money back out of this or will I loose it and be gone.

If its a desirable bow the answer is mostlikley and if its not then you would have a hard time doing anything else with them and wasted.

Hope this helps.

Glenn / Cat

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm 32 and draw right at 28.  I think you all are right, i can already see running light, medium, and heavy arrows should be enough to keep me busy for a while.  Maybe i should save funds for more arrows and maybe help fund a hunting trip.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Or another bow later on from the classifieds, but you've got the idea.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Since you say you love the 50# bow, I will go out on a limb and assume you can handle it adequately. If so, you don't need to be especially eager to go up or down. String that sucker up and HUNT. This is a good hunting draw weight.

Going up to 55#, if that is your choice, may give you a slight edge in the hunting arena but could be a bit tiring on the 3D course or practice range, at least until you work up to it. (Just make sure you can still shoot with good form.)

Going down to 45# won't adversely affect your ability to hunt most commonly sought game, and it is more comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time.

If I were making the decision, I would go up. It is not usually that difficult to work up to 55# from 50# if your health is good. Just do so slowly over a period of several weeks.Can you shoot somebody's 55# bow a few times to get a feel for how hard you think it will be to get used to? If you think it is too much, then don't bother. After all, you do like the 50# bow that you currently have, so there is no real need to feel any pressure to change, unless you are like many of us and are looking for a good excuse to buy a new bow.
Sam

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
You're the only one that can determine how much weight works for you. Shoot as much poundage as you can with comfort and confidence.
"They're all trophies"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
If you can handle more weight and shoot it just as accurately as you can the 50# bow then by all means go up in poundage.
James Kerr

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Just food for thought-

For example: Setting up a 47# Orion w/ACS RC limbs will have the comparable performance of numerous 54# range bows.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©