3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where to go from #50?  (Read 401 times)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to go from #50?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
You are better off getting a second complete bow as opposed to buying an extra set of limbs. Consider buying a used bow from the classified section. For a youngster like you who apparently is athletic, you would probably be better off going up to 55#, which is enough bow for any animal in North America when combined with the right arrows and broadheads, along with accurate shots. If you want to shoot lots of arrows for 3D competition, a 45# bow could be perfect. Eventually, you will want to have bows in all three weights. Take your time to figure out what you really want to do with your bows and then figure out what kind of bow is best for each use.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Why think of ordering new limbs if you can't think of the change you want to effect?

Killdeer    :dunno:  
I'd go up, but Killy makes a great point. What is it you're trying to accomplish? After having expended much coin on bows ranging from 50# to 80#, I find that I enjoy shooting ~60# the most. That being said, I hunted last season strictly with 50# bows. Find what you like, find what you're comfortable with...and get busy hunting!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
Buy arrows and go hunting. I`ve spent up several hunting trips buying and trading bows and have finally realized that I can only shoot one at a time....RC

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
I would definetely go up in poundage.If you are young and strong you will be able to handle the weight.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »
whats the difference between 45 and 50?  Id say 50 and 65 or 70 would make good companions.

Give some thought to what killie said, that's the voice of reason.  If you don't have a reason, why do it?
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »
I worked myself up to my age, 57lbs @ 57 years, but in the last few years I have enjoyed working my way back down.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
My opinion, since you're primarily a deer hunter, go down in poundage.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
I'm so glad that I moved up from the 45-50# range bows. I started shooting a 60# Howatt Hunter and it improved my shooting instead of hurting it.

Right now I am shooting a 60# Browning Nomad Stalker that I got from Cyclic-Rivers(Charlie Jansen)and it seems its become my go to bow. Just like my hand reaches for it everytime I shoot.

Only way I'll go down in poundage is if I have to. I'd love to find a Browning in the 70# range.

Just do plenty of dumbell rows and rotator cuff work and get a heavier bow. You'll love it once you get to shooting it the same as the 50#er.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I'd keep with 50.  Ain't many animals in the world that you won't kill with 50 with the proper set up.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
If you don't plan on hunting buffalo or mastadon, why not just stick with what you have?  50# is plenty for just about any north american game.

If you just want to shoot something else, then flip a coin...

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
I love to sell bows, limbs and other things  but more importantly I enjoy helping people make the right choices long-term.  As others have said already, +/- 5 pounds of draw weight won't make a lot of difference in how effective you kill especially as a deer hunter from a kinetic energy and shock standpoint.  HOWEVER, If you can shoot 5 pounds more or less more effectively and consistently, you will kill more.  Any age shooter can feel a difference of 5 pounds.  Even a 2 pound difference can help some shooters be more consistent at all ranges.  Try a set of limbs or a bow that is more and less in weight and see if this helps you first before deciding anything.  Let the shooting experience be your only guide as to the value of the potential investment!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©