3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver Dillema  (Read 206 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver Dillema
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Well, Since starting Trad in Jan, all I really thought about was the bow and arrows, and getting good enought to hunt. Well I have def. reached those goals, so I have been thinking of quivers.
  I have a hard leather back quiver, its a Ben Pearson, from im guessing late 60's, and that is what I use for 3D and target. But it is noisy and everytime I bend at the waist all my arrows go all over.  So, I tried a bow quiver but did not like it. Even in my compound days the quiver came off once I made it to stand, and with the Longbow it really seems to play into my shooting.  
   So I really would like to try a Bow Mate Elite, Safari Tuff or Dawgware side quiver.  Ive got an ad in the classifieds now.  
   But untill then, I was looking at the GFA side quiver and figured I have two old detachable quivers laying around and said to myself, "self, you can make that". Well long story short and 2 min later I tek screwed some old nylon slip buckle straps I had laying around to the exisisting quivers and BAM!!!! I now have two GFA's.  I used them outside just with some practice shots and I dont mind it at all.  I will take a test run throught the bush, no literally the bushes between my house and the neighbors, to see if i like how it flows.  
   For hunting situation I can see the GFA being a very good set-up, I mean its not like you are quick draw McGraw in the woods.  It seems to hold my arrows securly, in easy reach and safely.  Now putting them back in is not like the back quiver but in a hunting situation I dont need that, target practice its a pain, but oh well.

With all that said, I would still like to try the Safari Tuff Style quivers.  My DIY moment of the day was sponsored by Craftsman Powertools and Tek brand Tek screws, with the help of my 3y/o and 18mo old. Have a merry day ya'll
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver Dillema
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I like the GFAs because they are light and keep my arrows seperated.. I have 2 also one for carbon and one for wood arrows.. I shot bow quivers for several years but im liking a bare bow more these days.. The safari tuffs are nice quivers with great arrow protection just not my cup of tea.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Why would you say they are not your cup of tea? What is it about them that doesnt suit you?  
Also what Longbows are you shooting? I have a NM superior

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
If you like the back quiver you need to get one that is properly made and get it well broken in and you won't have the problems you mentioned.  There are many, many back quivers that just won't work in the woods for the reasons you named--too stiff and do not conform to your back and gently hold the arrows in place.  A properly made quiver will still hold the arrows in place even when you bend over and also hold them quietly.  

Other than my back quiver, my choice is my GFA--light, easy to maneuver in the woods, and holds arrows securely and quietly.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
I have not used the GFA, but it looks to be a good design, and Fred is a hunter's hunter, so no doubt he makes a functional quiver that will work well under hunting conditions. I have been using the Safari Tuff for a couple of years now, and I don't see any downside to it in hunting situations, with the possible exception of it being somewhat unwieldy when I am wearing a large pack. Other than that, it works great.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Thank you everyone so far for your input and opinions.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm workig on a couple of quivers for the St Judes auction like these. They might fit what you are looking for and it would help the kids.

This is my personal quiver.

TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
those look awesome I would love to win the bid on one of those great work, how long is the quiver just curious thanks brad
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »
I like my arrows to be seperated in a gripper.  The bow i am shooting now is a 66" 56# whisper.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »
Those are nice quivers. Really look good. I also use a GFA quiver, just like the way it is made.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Very nice looking quiver. I'll keep my eye open for them.

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Cant wait.  I will look for them.
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline max4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I really like the Safari Tuff.  Well made American craftsmanship.

It will keep you arrows dry, rather than an open top design.
passthru

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Benjy your quivers are awesome brutha!!..
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
A quiver is about as personal as your choice of bow and arrow.

They all have their pros & cons. Like David said, a "Proper made" backquiver is hard to beat, but they do take getting used to. The GFA is a good one too, as is the Arrow Master, Ron LaClair's Mantis. Heck there's a number of good ones. But you wont find the one till ya try a few.

Eric

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I have a GFA but will be getting an Absorkee from Farr West leather.  I'm having a hard time letting go of my bow quiver.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©