3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fav-o-rite bowhunter and why??  (Read 1104 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fav-o-rite bowhunter and why??
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
As far as as a favorite...tough to say as I have great respect for many of them. Ron LaClair, G Fred, Fred Eichler, Gene & Barry, Paul Shafer, Fred Bearand so many of the tradgang members...the list goes on and on. BUT I'd have to put MONTY BROWNING at or near the top of the list.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Just sitting here thinking through a long list of good folks who have helped me, and while there are a few that really belong at the top of my list, I would have to say Neil Jacobson.  Besides being a very good bowyer, a successfull hunter, he has been a huge help in helping not only myself but many of his other customers be successful with traditional equipment.  There have been times when I have called and I know he is busy as all get out, and he always has time to answer a "dumb question".  A first class person, and a true asset to Traditional Bowhunting.

>>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
/The list is very long of "great" bowhunters of the past. The ones that come to my mind is the Thompsons' (Maurice and Will) from the "witchery of archery". Of course, they were able to hunt in ways that we may only dream about these days. They are my favorite because the writings in that little book set up traditional archery as a great past time and a way of life for some of us.
 Their hunts have inspired many of the all time greats of the bowhunting world and should be recognized for that.
 As for "today" , one that comes to me is Curtis Kellar aka Little Feather. I have never met him, but he does alot for all of us, setting up the hunts, telling us the great stories,  and giving opportunities to hunt that we may not have otherwise. Someday I will make it on one of his hunts with some of the greats from this site.  :campfire:

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
WHAT!!!!! no one votes for smiley  oh the shame of it !!!!!

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
Who’s my favorite Bowhunter?

Well, he’s the average working guy that’s out there everyday, selflessly giving of himself, his skills, talents, craft and experience to help others to achieve and enjoy the sport of Bowhunting as much as he has, and does.

He’s the one that tirelessly strives to promote the sport he loves, the contagious passion he possesses, the dream he’s cultivated, the dedication he exhibits and his intense desire for you and I to thoroughly share in it all.

He’s the supportive mentor, the excited listener, the leader by example, the one who never attempts to elevate himself by demeaning another, he respects your opinion and status in life, and will give more than you’d ever imagine without expecting a thing in return.

He’s as proud of the trophies you take as he is in his own, he enjoys listening to your stories as much as he enjoys telling his own, and will hold all things in nature with respect and honor.
Who is this person?

If you’ve read this and seen anything familiar in what I’ve described, I’ve no doubt but what it’s YOU!  You’re all my heros.
If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
All time with no question there are a few. Pope, Young and Ishi for starting it all.

Modern day it is Chuck Adams.

Qualifications for "my" list are simple. Would I walk across a crowded room to have a conversation?  Yes for the above.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
For me it's Bart Schleyer, and my dad.

Love you dad,
F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Tough question. Hmmm. Ok this is probably biased. My all time favorite is The one... the only... Fred Bear. I believe all of the above mentioned are great. The native's had to hunt to survive. Unlike today. I like watching the fella on Easton bowhunting Tv. Fred E. Have all of his tapes. Oh , I dig Chuck Adams too. Even though I have not seen him with a stick.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
Anyone who takes stick and string in hand and gives of themself,not counting a kill as success but just the experience of being afield with bow in hand. Holding nature to heart and respecting it all.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
Dianne Lotz!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
Fred Bear and no explanation is needed.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
I think my favorite is....well, ME. That's it..I am my own favorite bowhunter.
Yup! Ditto! No explanation needed.  :archer:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
For bowhunters I have only read about or met once or twice, it is a tie between Bart Schleyer and Monty Browning because of their adventurous spirit, as well as humble nature and attitude. I know that Monty is a Christian too, which means a lot to me.  My favorite bowhunter that I've spent time with is Bill Allard (aka BB or Bugling Billy) from Utah, because of his obvious love of bowhunting, adventure and nature, and his humble manner and respect for others.  My favorite Tradgang bowhunter is RC - that man can shoot and hunt, and is very successful on public land which is not easy!  Like the others I respect, he is humble and helpful, plus he is not afraid to show his love of God anywhere, anytime.  The first time I hunted with RC and Mudfeather, we went to lunch at a local diner and they both bowed their heads and offered a prayer of thanksgiving, as natural as can be because it came from their hearts.  That impressed me more that their considerable bowhunting skills.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
CHESTER STEVENSEN, wish I had being there to walk his trails.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
on the serious side, I feel as NSLB does...I really was blown away by the way Chester Stevenson hunted- got a map, a compass, a pot and a fork, a bow, some arrows, and a groundcloth, hopped on a train, jumped off in the middle of nowhere and hunted his way out two weeks later!

how many of us would have the courage for something like that, nowadays?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
In all fairness. I am of the same opinion as Dakota Kid and Danny Rowan. As archers and bowhunters it is all as highly individualistic as the type and design of bow we shoot, to the design of arrows we use.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
What Mr.Kellar, uh... I mean Gary said.

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
For me it`s Fred Bear. Don`t know if he was the best or not, but he had a great influence on me.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Hard to narrow it down to just one. I have only read about most of the famous ones but of them Barry Wensel would be close to the top. He was one of the first guys that I saw hunting with a recurve(October Whitetails) and really got my interest in trad archery going. It was many years before I made the switch but he and that video went a long way toward influencing my decision.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
I know it's already been said as there are so many to choose from and I have several favorites from years gone by, plus some great men and women that are still very much a big part of our tradition today as already mentioned.

However one of the more modern trad hunters I really like is Fred Eichler.  He get's so excited no matter what animal he is hunting and he truly seems to enjoy what he is doing as well as he has no problem laughing at himself when he messes up.  Even though he shoots a mechcanical bow on ocassion, he brings joy and excitement to camp no matter what the conditions.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©