3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gorilla glue for carbon inserts??  (Read 623 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Gorilla glue for carbon inserts??
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Anyone use this. Some guys say they use the blue cap superglue version or job weld. Looking for something other than that dreaded 2 part in a syringe that always dries up after the first use.  Thanks.  Bill

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gorilla glue for carbon inserts??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
The Gorilla glue I used did not hold the inserts. It was the worst glue I have tried.
John

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Gorilla super glue gel, get the stuff in the small tubes, but don't ever expect to get your inserts back out. This glue is plasticised which makes it super impact resistant.  I've tried a lot of glue and this glue is the best. But when gluing in the big brass inserts, make sure you shove it in fast or it will be an expensive boo boo. Had some CX Heritages and the brass inserts were a little tight going in and ended up with two arrows that weren't like I  wanted them
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Gorilla super glue gel, get the stuff in the small tubes, but don't ever expect to get your inserts back out. This glue is plasticised which makes it super impact resistant.  I've tried a lot of glue and this glue is the best. But when gluing in the big brass inserts, make sure you shove it in fast or it will be an expensive boo boo. Had some CX Heritages and the brass inserts were a little tight going in and ended up with two arrows that weren't like I  wanted them
X2  Impact formula in the blue cap.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Gorilla Super Glue is what I use. Haven't had an insert pull out since I switched to it.

Offline Mic W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cherokee Scout:
The Gorilla glue I used did not hold the inserts. It was the worst glue I have tried.
Did you get the pieces wet first? Gorilla glue is activated with water.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
The blue cap is "Impact resistant" This is excellent glue....

The bad part about using epoxy or super glue is that if you plan on using broadheads on these shafts, you can not rotate them. I highly recommend hot melt glue for inserts.

Offline speedwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I use the blue cap impact resistent bottle.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by MicW:

Originally posted by Cherokee Scout:
Did you get the pieces wet first? Gorilla glue is activated with water. [/b]
Their super glue is different than their wood glue.  No water needed.  The parts must be clean and dry.  Jerry at SSAS has a water activated insert glue that works really well if you want to go that route.  I've had really good luck with both types and have never had a brass insert pull out.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I use gorilla glue for glue on broad heads and that works great!! I got tired of broad heads falling off inside my target. Only this is don't expect to get the heads off a broken arrow. So it should work for your purposes too.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I've used it but prefer epoxy. The "super" glue bonded on contact...i couldn't get the insert completely seated.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I have never used it, but use Low heat glue stick from 3R's and I don't have to clean the shaft. I only use brass inserts. Never had one pull out. Last week I missed and my arrow was stuck in a tree. It took 2 of us to pull it out and the insert never moved. If you want to save your insert it is so easy to take back out. I have been using this glue for a few years.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
I use the stuff in the tube with blue cap, its great if you never want to get the insert back out if not than I would use hot melt
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
I have used the blue cap super glue version and never had one back out.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
Bohning ferr-l-tite cool flex, low temp hot melt adhesive. Works great, and is made for use with carbon arrows. I haven't had a single insert pull out yet, and I've shot some pretty solid stumps!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »
The blue cap stuff is great. The original gorilla glue worked for some of my arrows and did not on others. I've moved to JB Weld because I can use it to bevel out my aluminum collars.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
The Gorilla Impact Resistant super glue works well.  Best super glue I've tried.  If you want to remove the insert heat will work.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
I've used the original gorilla glue to build double-walled carbon arrows (one shaft inside another) and gluing the front-weighted brass weights and inserts as well. because the glue expands, it also fills the shaft behind any inserts, keeping them from breaking loose and traveling. but, I washed all components with dish soap, scored all components (.223 bore brush inside the shaft, sandpaper on the brass inserts and outside of the shafts to be glued), and also used water on all components just before assembly. these weighed 1020 grains when complete, and passed through water buffalo. never had one come apart. heat will release the glue, but at that temperature, it scorches the carbon.  - Jay Campbell
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline Jonathan Wilfred Michelin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
Hello all i got some Maxima Blue streaks here and im lookign for a glue ot use i got soem Heavy Duty Hotmelt glue i use on my points havent had a pull off yet, links below, Im wondering what you all think, could you give me some advice?

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Painting-Supplies/Tape-Glue-Adhesive/Adhesives-Glues/Sticks/4-Heavy-Duty-Glue-Stick/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I2 047298?Ntt=hotmelt
Living the life my Dad taught me and loving using the tools ive learn to live a life i love

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 05:26:00 AM »
Go to Big Jims here on the sponsors list. Check out his video on the hot melt he sells. Good stuff.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©