3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ashby and velocity?  (Read 405 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ashby and velocity?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
More to my point,  in spite of its ability to penetrate, there comes a point in time where too slow is just too slow. (example only. .  I don't know where that point is)  The trajectory difference is visible at anything other than very close range and deer have this innate ability to move quickly.  Although even 200 fps is not quick enough to defeat this every time,  we need to consider not giving it more help than it needs.

It doesn't take a lot to penetrate a deer, or even a black bear.

Breeze..  use a .17 HMR,   a very fast speck that will likely blow a hole in the intruders back the size of a golf ball.  Bullets are very different than arrows.  Heck, if they (.22 and .45) both pass thru, they are both wasting energy outside the body.

ChuckC

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Good point, Chuck. The broad head has to cut, not shock. And in the case of an arrow, two holes are better than one.
Interesting post and discussion.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
What Kirk said!! Although, I like 9gr/lb and penetration has never been an issue on any north american animal that i have shot! I have problems with finding my arrows after they go completely through.
     I shoot 60# recurves .

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I started shooting trad bows a little less than 2 years ago because I wanted something simplier.  However, being an enginer, I soon found myself reading WAY TOO much (and second guessing about a half dozen bows I went through, along with a multitude of arrows of different weights and broadheads)until one day a buddy of mine said "Fred, it's just two sticks and a string, sharpen that broadhead and GO HUNT!"

Not taking anything from Mr. Ashby, but it doesn't take "Ashby stats" to produce a kill on basically anything that walks North America.

Go have fun and quit worrying  ....  9 gpp on up, and mid 160 fps (even slower is OK) and I think you have a lethal weapon that I promise if you do your part, it will do its part.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Well said fred!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
amen!!
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Believe me, I was a BIG sinner when it came to drinking the kool-aid!  Now I just hunt.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
I appreciate all the help. This stuff is alot like my golf swing, some times you just need to listen to Mr. MacAvoy and "Just grip it and rip it". I am used to shooting a heavy arrow because of my draw length but I don't want to go overboard in any direction. In a few days I will give the report of my new bow, I am taking on the elk hunt. I love it. Thanks again
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
If early man had done this much mountain climbing over molehills, humans would have starved out of existence a long, long time ago. Sometimes, we get so caught up in the technical that we ignore the obvious. A reasonably powerful bow with a well matched arrow will work fine. I like awbowman's comments.
Sam

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Good point..personally I use a ported .44 mag. with a VERY healthy hand load. If the bullet don't get them the flash will give them a stroke!

More to your point some energy is  spent on the mass(body, it does not have to be bone) on impact I want to propel my arrow as high a velocity as possible. I shoot a fairly heavy arrow 800 grains. Maybe its misguided thinking on my part, I want my heavy arrow to go as reasonably fast as it can. Old adage, big object go fast is good. Don't mean to ramble.
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
I shoot light weight bows. 30-42lbs for most deer hunting. I've tried single bevels with poor results. I hit the last deer in the back of the lungs/liver with a single bevel and it went in about 3" and I lost the deer. The last two deer I hit in the same place with double bevels passed thru and skipped in the dirt upon pass thru.
My opinion, shoot double bevel if shooting light weight bows. Again, in my opinion, single bevel is a fad that's fun to read about, for high weight bow shooters who will ultimately come back to double bevels.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
I thought this was a thread about velocity and it's effect on things.Where did firearms and single bevel-double bevel com from? Am I missing something?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©