3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When to realize you have an addiction...???  (Read 475 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
When to realize you have an addiction...???
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
I've always known I have an addiction to hunting (different phases throught life), well yesterday I decided I might as well sell a couple shotguns.  Listed them online and within 15 minutes a buyer was on his way.  We both walked away thinking we got the better of the other (so in my eyes that is a REALLY good sale).  Decision was brought upon by the purchase of a trully custom bow built to my specs (Tall Tines longbow).  When I get it, believe me there will be a HUGE homecomming party to welcome it.

What all have you sold off to pay for your bowhunting addiction?  Just a question I ponder while thinking back over the years at what i have bought and sold and how I always find a way to come up with money somehow for what I want so as not to upset my overwhelming better half, and or go into debt to satisfy he addiction.

So please, tell us your ways because it just might spark the minds of others as to ways of raising a couple bucks to fund their next Trad Bowhunting purchase.

I'm looking forward to reading the responses to this thread.

Mike
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to realize you have an addiction...???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
I guess I have a hoarder's mentality. I could never part with a bow much less any of my guns.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
i go through phases.  I bought my first custom bow when I was young, single and made alot of $$. I was also very involved in "living history", and thats not a cheap hobby either.  I make repro engraved 18th c powder horns and sell them.  that $ goes to my hobbies. I've sold some guns, both modern & flintlick muzzel loaders.  ive also have owned several bows, that ive sold to buy other bows.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
I buy,sell and trade all the time so the bow addiction kind of supports itself. The consequence is that nothing is ever really safe around here, just about everything has a price.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
I KNOW I have a shooting addiction; I'm trying to support my hunting addiction; I try to give put the acquiring bows addiction last!
Jim

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm in denial all around.    :D
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Real simple for this ol' country boy. WORK WORK WORK. Its all worth it when that long brown box is sitting on the porch though   :jumper:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I've sold some firearms and other assorted hunting paraphenalia to fund this addiction.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I've got a Stevens 20 ga with a refinished stock on the local bulletin board right now.

But the real clue was last week when I was driving through the Public Development Authority and a guy was throwing away big hunks of ethafoam packing blocks that solar panels came in. I said, "Throwing those away?" he said yeah and I asked to have them. Then he said there's a whole pile of them over there if you want them. So I filled up my tahoe... had to make two trips. Now I have a pile of polyethylene blocks in my yard the size of a VW. Not sure how I'm going to turn them in to a target yet, but that there is a sign of a serious disease!
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
I knew there was a problem when I had to add extensions to my bow rack pegs!!!

Offline oz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
don't seem to have a problem with collecting bows or guns cannot afford them, the problem here is hours in the field, I knew I had a problem when 14 years ago my wife said the bow goes or the kids and I go.  I didn't touch the bow for 12 years until my son asked to take bow ed..  I have been better about the hours in the field the past 4 years, but it is a struggle to not be out, when I'm not out I want to be out so bad that is all I think about. I never quit hunting completely just archery, it was the one I was obsessed with.  I guess if I liked to work as much as I like to hunt I could afford more bows and guns.  

OZ

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
I sold my wife's car to buy my new ACS CX-she now takes the bus to both jobs; they are not that far. We need the truck for hunting-duh!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I sold my wife's car to buy my new ACS CX-she now takes the bus to both jobs; they are not that far. We need the truck for hunting-duh!
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
You are my new hero Bjorn!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Good one Bjorn.

I have sold ONE gun in my life and still regret it.  Bows?, now that's different, I go through those like water.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
I don't like how you use the word addiction, like its a bad thing.   ;)   I have sold bows, turkey calls, hunting clothes, and used refinanced mortgage money to buy bows. I've sold a gun or two that I no longer "needed' to help with a purchase, to build up my war chest for St. Jude's or Compton's. I wish I was talented enough to make something I could sell!    :knothead:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
I once tried selling my wife on getting a home improvement loan to go up to Alaska for a hunt.  My reasoning is that MY home life would have been greatly improved if I did it...I still have yet to make it to Alaska.

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Well I seem to have caught the bug a few years ago and i found my self donating plasma (freshman year of college) to pay for my Dwyer Endeavor, next semester is going to be Bigjim TC    :help:

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
Bjorn how you got away with that i will never know  :notworthy: . I realised i had a hunting addiction when i killed my first rabbit at the tender age of 6. I trap Possums in the winter to help fund my interests. The best part of it my mrs loves that i hunt. I am thinking about selling a shotgun to help pay for a pair of stalking boots. But maybe my mrs will buy them for me as my birthday is coming up soon.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Constantly sell in stuff to afford to go on hunts.  I've sold guns,  bows, made pedestals to sell, and am currently sell in my two horses and my horse trailer.  Excited bout sell in these since they will easily pay for next years moose hunt and with the money not spent on hay I can afford the down payment on the next hunt.  The easiest way I found though is drive a cheap truck so there is no payment.  I paid cash for mine 8 years ago and ever since I put 400 bucks a month into my hunt fund instead of into a truck payment.  Easy to justify!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©