3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 20feetup safety harness?  (Read 380 times)

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
20feetup safety harness?
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Anyone here used the safety harness system from 20feetup? I'm thinking about picking it since it seems to suit my tastes much better than what I have been wearing. I like how its all contained down around your waist and should allow a little more range of motion for shooting.

http://www.20feetup.com/Harnesses.html

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 20feetup safety harness?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Basically the same concept but way cheaper.  May want to check it out.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/climb/harnesses/alpine-bod-harness

BTW, cut the gear loops off to prevent you from trying to hang from them.  Not rated for those weights.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
I have "fallen" out of enough trees teaching bow hunter and hunter education to know for a FACT that almost without doubt, a person suspended by their waist is gonna be sucking air (or not at all) and face forward or even face down, depending upon their upper body weight distribution.

I would personally have to see it in action. .  with several people, not just their model, to believe it.

Just saying
ChuckC

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
ChuckC is 110% correct.  To put this into persepective here, my Unlce died after falling off of the second step up on a ladder.  He fell backwards, and died of massive head/brain trauma.  To intentionally not use a fallarrest system is playing with your life, and the effect it can have to your family.  A full body harness.  NOT a waist belt.  A waist belt with turn you upside down in the case of a fall, and if not rescued quickly, you will die.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
What do you guys think about this video?

and this one?

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
IF I were still hunting in trees, this is what I would use--developed by a ER physician to prevent death from suspension trauma which can occur within 30 minutes of hanging suspended by a full body harness.  www.mountaineer-sports.com
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Jeff. . I watched it (the first part of the first video) and stand PARTLY corrected.  With the tether strap in front it changes the dymanics of hanging. .at least some. .   however. . a large part of what we teach is to keep the tether strap short. .  ie.  limit the fall length.  How do you do that and still allow the ability to hunt easily with a bow ?  Also. .  you typically fall. .usually face first  not let yourself easily down into the seated position.  

Anything is better than nothing.  Some things are better than most.

I will watch the rest later at home.  
ChuckC

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
The black diamond equipment support (pulls from)is ABOVE the belly button and will not turn you upside down, but almost assures you (in a conscious state) that you will be facing tree after a fall INSTEAD of backwards as with a harness.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Look at this thread on GriGri 2 self belay devise.  I convinced Whip to get one while hog hunting this past week.  They were on sale for $72 shipped this week at EMS.  If I fall, I'm not going to waste my time trying to get back into a stand.  I'm just going to lower myself to the forest floor. If you are injured, it only takes one hand behind your neck to activate the lever...tippit

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=110494
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Amen to that Tippit.  I ALWAYS use a safety line when getting up and down from the stand after the first assent to set the line.   After all, what's a life worth!

But IF I do fall, and I want to remain hunting, it's easier to climb back in the stand with the mountain climbing harness. Thank goodness I haven't really had to check that out yet, but I have hung from the tree and practiced getting back on stand.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
As part of our treestand safety classes, we (another and me) "fell" from treestands.  We did this a lot, and finally made a video, which begot another video, which begot the one you see from NBEF.  

I wore a standard (at that time) belt and Jack wore a Seat of the Pants harness.  I KNOW what happened to me, and I SAW what happened to Jack.  

At no time, ever, was Jack not able to easily turn around and reclimb the tree, using his already placed steps. And he typically continued on with his speech while he was doing so. Since he placed his tree strap high, as we taught, he was just barely below his treestand at all.

I really don't understand the premise of not being able to save yourself while wearing a safety harness (unless you are unconcious).

ChuckC

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Chuck,  I mostly use climbing stands.  I have never fallen out of my treestand.  My concern and the reason I use the harness David Mitchell talks about is if the stand fails.  If a climbing stand breaks or fails there are no steps or ladders and no stand to get back in to so you either hang or cut yourself free and take your chance with the fall.  Nice peace of mind knowing I can quickly and easily lower myself to the ground.  The 20feetup harness looks interesting as that is the type rock climbers use but I still need to be able to get down.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Interesting thread, which has caused me to think. I too hunt out of climbers and have a nice vest from Underarmour.  I've been thinking should my stand fail, or I can't get back into the climber/platform, how would I descend?

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
The great thing about the GriGri 2 is it is a Descending belay.  Getting back into a climber platform or a fixed stand can be tricky especially when you're a Senior Citizen.  If the stand breaks or slips down the tree, you're going to be hanging there. The video shows the guy doing all sorts of maneuvers...but when you fall there is going to be quite a jolt to the body.  I want to make sure I can get to the ground quickly & safely.  I'd prefer to hunt another day if I fall...in 35 years I've never fallen (Yet)!

Whatever system you're using, practice what it would be like in a fall...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Tip,

I'm going to pick up one of the GriGri 2's also. Thanks for the info on it. I had honestly never even considered something like that. I think it would work great with this 20feetup harness.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Jeff,

I think the 20 feet up system looks like it would do the job. if you get one, please post a review on it.

Charlie
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Charlie,

It'll be later this summer but when I do get it I'll let you guys know. Bill is showing a simliar harness of the Tippit Safety System thread. Maybe be cheaper and of the same quailty.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
You can get Tree Spider Livewire Descent System with the new Tree Spider Harness.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Has anyone actually jumped or fell using this new rig ?  I really question how that is gonna feel on your back when you come to the end and stop ?  If you fall asleep and pitch out face forward or even sidewise, will you come right out of the rig since you are facing downwards ?

Does this come with some sort of descent system ?  If not, what makes you think it will be any easier assembling one while sitting, tied from the front than from the back ?

Lots more questions to ask.

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©