3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF/Takedown vs. One-piece long bow?  (Read 273 times)

Offline Escoffier1974

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF/Takedown vs. One-piece long bow?
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Good Afternoon;

I'm new around here, and I haven't been able to find a comparison of ILF/take-down longbows being compared to one-piece longbows.  I'm looking at this from an accuracy standpoint for hunting.  

I've been getting back into shooting shape with an old, all fiberglass 45# recurve, which is fun, but not the most consistent (no real arrow rest/shelf, grip that is basically bicycle bar tape - no contour or ability to get a consistent grip, etc.), which I shoot instinctively.  I have looked at several of the ILF bows that I've thought about piecing together, and I've also looked at one-piece longbows like the Bear Montana (and others).  

I know the advantages of an ILF bow in terms of versatility and being able to take them apart for storage and travel, but those things not withstanding, is there an advantage of one longbow type over another?

Thanks,
D

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF/Takedown vs. One-piece long bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Hi, David, let me be the first to welcome you to TradGang.  As you may see I have been around here for a looooong time--I am member #85.  That however does not qualify my opinions to be worth all that much, but I think others may confirm my take on the question you raise.

I have shot longbows and recurves for a long time of all varieties and from my experience I do not think you will find any difference between take down (regular or ILF) and  one piece bows as far as accuracy is concerned--accuracy lies in the shooter for the most part.  Find a bow that fits your hand comfortably and points naturally for you and you'll be good to go.  Practice and familiarity with your bow will bring the accuracy along just fine as long as your form stays consistent (that's my problem   ;)  ) There is going to be a big trad shoot in Cloverdale, Indiana June 8-10,  You could see and try lots of bows from various makers or even find something on the trade blanket that might work and save you some money.

Where are you in Indiana?  I lived in southern Indiana for many years in the Madison area where I pastored a couple of churches.  Our son lives in Ossian near Fort Wayne and has an optometry practice in Bluffton.  I love Indiana--been in West Virginia now for 25 years though so it is beginning to feel like home. Again, welcome and happy shooting!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Escoffier1974

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
David;

Thanks for the advice.  I was kind of suspecting that one bow type really wasn't going to be better than another in terms of accuracy, but being new to this, I figured I would ask (it's also cheaper to ask questions than try and find out the hard way).  

Anyway, I'm just south of the Circle City in Johnson county.  We are imports to Indiana, but since we both grew up in the midwest, it feels like home already.

Thanks,
D

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I agree that accuracy is in the shooter, but an ILF bow is likely to have a larger/heavier riser, and more mass in the riser does help some folks shoot better.  A little easier to hold steady at the shot, perhaps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©