3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TreeSaddle Tactics  (Read 727 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
TreeSaddle Tactics
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I got a TreeSaddle two seasons ago and have not had a lot of success. I like the saddle and am convinced it can be a powerful hunting tool. I'd like to put together a strong thread that had a list of successful tactics and strategies. From my experience, I've found that remaining still CAN be more of a challenge. I tend to crotch down into the saddle to negate this. I have also found that having a tree with steps installed BEFORE the hunt is much easier to get in and out of than using sticks. I also tend to find that using climbing steps for a platform is rough on the feet after 3-5 hours. Using MORE steps creates the ability to stand on two at a time, and that works well. What have been your experiences?
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Scbenton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TreeSaddle Tactics
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Climbing sticks can get annoying but the edge you get hunting of the saddle far surpasses the annoyance the sticks bring.

I have gained some weight and wished I would have gone a size up, it tends to get a little tight around my waist.

Always place the strap as far as you can stretch your arms so you don't end up sitting lower than your base steps if you happen to put those on first.  This also allows you to get a little higher in the tree, by doing your base first then stretching to attach the strap.

Don't get in to an overly large tree that will inhibit your ability to maneuver all the way around the tree.  

If you use the sticks, find strap so that you can sling them over your shoulder, you can also tie jackets/extra cloths to the sticks as well.

If you have to go number one tighten the strap so that you can nearly stand straight up to go.

Can't think of anything else lookin forward to hearing what others members may say!

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I like to find tree's which have branches to stand on if possible, like a beech. This makes it easier to be comfortable longer. I also like not having to carry a stand if I have a long walk to my spot. I also like a tree that's leaning slightly away from me.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Back in the early 1970's we used homemade ones we called "swings".We went up the tree with screw in steps and put 3 steps in for the platform.They were at 9:00(left foot),3:00(right foot)and 6:00.You could swing to the left or right by using the "6:00" step.

The shooter was positioned on the opposite side of the tree trunk from where game would most likely approach.You could still swing and shoot 360 degrees as well as straight down.

The swing was set up so that the legs were bent but not 90 degrees.You could sit with all the weight on your rear or lock your legs when that needed a rest.The trick was,look around to make sure nobody is watching before a shift is made.

If game came in that you didn't want to shoot,you just relaxed your legs and melted into the tree trunk till it passed.It is a slick system.I have a lot of great memories hunting that way and these days am very glad we survived using homemade equipment like that.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I use the sticks, but I screw 4 steps in at 180 degrees apart about 10 inches above the top of the sticks, if you adjust your strap out to a sitting position then stand you will find it alot more comfortable,kinda puts you at a 40 degree angle back away from the tree while standing and you can go to a sitting postion with your knees against the tree, get the tree saddle knee pads,and you can also switch your weight from one leg to the other, alot of options and all are comfy,also quickly and quietly go to shooting position completely around tree.It takes some practice, now is a good time to start
John 3:16

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I bought one at the end of last season, but didnt get to use it much. One thing I did learn is to do your tree prep like John Eberhart. Way in advance.

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Color me ignorant but...what is this "tree saddle" you speak of???? I'm  a good picture learner!!
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline Scbenton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
The tree saddle is a harness of sorts... Sort of like a full body harness  that you get with a climber.  Except we're your bottom goes there will be leather or what ever else  material they use.

Google TrophLine Tree Saddle there are also some videos on Youtub aswell.

It's kind of hard to explain with out it seeming like its to complicated.  At first it can be cumbersome but in the end, I will always choose the saddle over any climber.  I also feel a lot safer in the saddle than any climber I have ever used.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
Find a bunch of strap on tree steps and cut them off of the individual straps.  Thread them on a nice ratchet strap and forget the screw ins.  It's like having multiple fixed position stands.  All I use for the most part.

X2 on setting up ahead of time.  I think I own over 200 steps at this point and some sets don't get hunted but once a year.  It's cheaper to have more options, but tends to take more prep.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
I either use climbing sticks or I prep several trees with steps before season. I also carry seven steps with me. Six are used for my platform and one is used for a handle to hold onto when I am in the stand. The handle helps me move around easier when I position for a shot. I also wraped my climbing sticks with foam tape to keep them quiet as I climb the tree to hang them. My binoculars hang on a long cord on my right side of my body and stay out of the way for a shot but they are easy to grab for quick looks

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
I was ready to sell my saddle because I had trouble staying still...mostly because of slight discomfort on the knees.  I got knee-pads...WOW.  It's amazing how a 3/8" thick piece of foam can make from being able to hold a position for only 15minutes to falling a sleep for hours with no loss of comfort what-so-ever.  

The several strap on steps on a wratchet strap are also necessary.  3/8" rods can really strain the feet.  A half dozen 2" wide steps are like heaven.  Good luck this season with the saddle...it can greatly increase your hunting success when used properly.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Scbenton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Who make the strap on steps to be used with a ratchet strap.  I have search and all I have come up with is how they were discontinued or recalled.  

Or is there another manufacturer that make something similar?

The screw in step don't really bother my feet to much, I generally wear military boots that have a stiff sole.  

Knee pads are def a must when using the saddle.

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
I had one, it wasnt for me. As stated knee pads are a must. I liked tree's about 1ft in diameter and a min of 5 steps. The more steps, the easier to manuver. I had ameristep plastic steps on a ratchet, cumbersome and did not feel as secure on some tree's. Sometimes rubber boots can make a squeak on steps and on more then one occasion I had that "ring" noise when my foot hit a step when moving around the tree. Do as John does and pick out tree's ahead of time if you can. Nothing worse then finding sign, climbing a tree 25ft, only to find out its leaning. They all look straight from the ground. Its a great product in theory, just wasnt good for me. I still set up tree's in the spring like John advises, but now I carry a lonewolf hang on with me. If I want to go mobile, I take my 4 sticks.
 I have 4 or so step covers that go on screw in steps so the steps dont kill your feet. PM me if you are interested.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Climb Paws have a platform called Top Paws that just strap onto the tree. I was ready to buy some myself.

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
That's why God saw fit that they invented Double bull ground blinds for a fat guy like me.
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I like Trees with limbs and crotches in them

And knee pads make it more comfortable
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I like Torres with limbs and crotches and knee pads
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
What are some things you guys have done to improve your shooting from the saddle (it is slightly different) and keep from moving around too much?

I thinking moving is one of my main problems in the saddle
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I tried it for about a year and as much as I liked the concept, I just couldn't get comfortable in the thing and it required way to much movement to shoot to the right. It costed me a shot and I sold it shortly after.
BCD

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I just don't understand all the problems.  If deer are close, don't move......prepare for the shot, don't get caught out of position......if you're getting picked off, go a bit higher......keep the tree between you and the deer and you can move to a right side shot by having the tree screen you.

The Saddle isn't for everyone, but think about how you need to be able to use it and adapt.  If you're trying to do the same things you did with a fixed position stand you will get frustrated and fail.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©