3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whos Haunting Your Dreams Of This Fall  (Read 359 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Whos Haunting Your Dreams Of This Fall
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Im done turkey hunting for the year, probably wont do  a summer hog hunt and dont get to excited about bowfishing to do it more than a half dozen times, today, opening day is rained out. Between house work and other wastes of time Im jonesing hard to get my boots back in the fall woods and Im thinking of one deer in particular. "Karen"!!!!! I named her after my Ma in law for a few good reasons.

The wise old, nosey doe that knew what I was gonna be doing each morning before I even got out of bed and never looked at me without an evil eye. She took me to school at least 3 times that I know of. She wore out several wheelie hunters and a rifle hunter that she spooked on before she entered his shooting lane. I havent seen her since 11/11/11 when I killed a spike about an hour after she led 5 other flat heads out of bow range from me and commenced feeding while all I could do is watch. Im hoping shes still out there, I know she made it through late bow season from what Ive heard from the owner of the land that she haunts.

Yeah, she tough and onery but I got a few tricks up my sleeve for this year. Shes actually one of 2 deer that I  really want to kill this year but shes at the top of the list. I dont even know any other deer personally. I kinda like hunting without knowing whats  roaming out there and savor the mystery but she has my attention.

Who or should I say what do you hope to hang a tag on this year. Doesnt need to be a whitetail, any critter. Lets hear about them.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whos Haunting Your Dreams Of This Fall
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Being that I didnt hunt at all last season due to my back, and now recovered from surgery. I am gonna haunt the South Jersey deer population in every way possible.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
I missed a buck last year with a 4-5'' droptine at 15 yards! Never picked a spot and shot right over his back. Kinda glad i missed him because this year he will be a 3.5 year old. He was a 110-115'' 8pt plus the droptine, this year he should hit P&Y and I'm hoping he still has the drop! I also have 5 more bucks in mind that i saw in one weeks time that would have went 130-160'' last year. This should be a great year!!!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Hahaha I love it Izzy. Hope your MIL doesn't take up archery and join TG. Good luck with Karen...Does that sound weird?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Was after this guy last year, then he went ghost for a while.  he started showing up about a half a mile away in a guys back yard!!!  Think he is only 2 1/2 years old, so he should be pretty good this coming fall.  I only got to see him in person 3 times all last year, once at night, once during an evening hunt about 40 yard out in some thick stuff, and the last time I saw him my dad missed him whith his crossbow as we were tracking my buck      :scared:          :p       .  He was with the buck I killed the time I saw him at about 40 yards.

his smaller brother that almost got him  killed by my dad

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Aw TJ, we've come to a truce since Thanksgiving but the name already stuck by then. Its a nice name anyway so she'd prolly just be honored that I named that stately nanny after her.   :jumper:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Hes for sure nice!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Huntmaster your first pic needs to be resized(no wider than 640)
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »

The tall-narrow...he is 5 years old now. Here he is at 2 1/2. I passed him a dozen times. I kept praying he would live one more year.

*Prayer answered...except I passed him again twice including the last day of bow season. He was run-down and scrawny looking. I tipped my hat and prayed for an easy winter.

*Prayer answered. Except when it came time to hunt him I fell out of a tree and busted my hands. I passed him up with another weapon as my hands were healing. I just couldn't do it! I prayed for him to go to ground. Notice how his main beams are growing together now in the front?

*Prayer answered again. I found his shed the day I worked a great bird on my neighbors farm. So, he and I have a date...so long as nothing really fun happens to me again. Good luck Izzy. We all have our tormentors  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Welp, Its a black bear.  Im doing Bear Quest and a fall hunt in Maine this year.  with BQ being only 3 weeks away, I have tunnel vision lately!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
There are 3 black tail bucks in this shaky video, pardon the poor filming.... but look at the spread on the last one in the film clip. i've been hunting him for two years now. The same 3 bucks were spotted last week in the same spot. No horns yet.... but they are still there.    :thumbsup:  

Click on the grass to start the film.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I actually jumped a real tall rack 10 pt. dragging my buck out last year. He was bedded about 40 yards from my truck. I have probably walked past that sucker 100 times without knowing it.

I don't have any cameras but hope he made it through.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Big 6-point.  We caught him on game cameras starting last summer and even with the bad drought here in Texas last year, when most deer were incredibly scrawny until later in the season, this guy still filled out and was a total bruiser; beautiful set of horns.  Even healthy, most Texas deer aren't very big bodied, but this guy makes you stop and go, "Whoa..."

My oldest nephew missed an 80-yard rifle shot on him (shot right over his back -- see, we're not the only ones who forget to pick a spot, heh), and the next weekend, same deer shows up 20-yards from my natural blind.  But wouldn't you know it, the one lane I hadn't cleared of low-hanging limbs was between the two of us (last time I'll ever say, "Nah, they'd never come out of the trees in this direction").  While trying to manuever into position for a shot, he started walking and happened to catch a glimpse of me which spooked him, so he ran out of range out into the open, watched my spot for awhile (where I was stuck in a 'pose' while thinking up new cusswords in my head) before he finally bugged out.  Just remembering that moment makes me feel ill all over again.  He was spotted once or twice more later in the season, but always at very long range.  I hope he's still out there (our lease is surrounded by other leases filled with rifle hunters).
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I've got a good sized 8 pointer I have seen once a year for two straight seasons. I know where he wanders through so he will hopefully die this year.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Well I dream about a bull like this when I have my Big River in hand.  I called this one into 15 yds. about 3 months before my transition back to traditional archery.  I know the genetics are there and I know the bulls are there and I know my accuracy is there - we need to meet again!!

I wait all year for archery elk season and the chance to pussy foot through the mountains for 2 weeks.  Every year I am more and more confident in my traditional abilities.  It'll happen.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Almost a couple of times last year.

Or this buck I have been watching grow for 5 years now. here he is at two!

Then three!

Last year at Four, and he's still going.

Found his right side shed all broken up this spring.

I have alot of respect for this buck and enjoy everytime I see him alive chasing does and fighting.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Not a haunting, but a hopefull dream. Mike

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Mike. We all know that buck has no hope. Enjoy your hunting, he'll give you a run for your money Im sure.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Love the doe stories! I have to say, i used to get tore up about antlers, but when i started shooting a stick i learned that a trophy can be any sized deer. Good luck to all this fall!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline MulieMike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
My bad guys sorry for the BIG pic

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©