3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip & Tippit--Road Trip from TN Classic to SC Hogs!  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip & Tippit--Road Trip from TN Classic to SC Hogs!
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
Well done story gentleman.  It is a pleasure to follow along on these hunts. For those  of us that are lucky to chase deer a few days a year, this is inspiring.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Really enjoyed the stories and the pics Joe. Sounds like everyone had a great time.  :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
Jeff seems to get along pretty well with a 737 for his primary hunting rig.   :biglaugh:  
Ya think?  :biglaugh:

Great thread guys.
Joe you've done a great job with words and pictures showing what these trips are all about once again.
Thanks for taking us along...

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
Gotta like stories like that. Thanks for sharing.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Just got back to Boston with the horses in tow.  Three flats on the horse trailer...maybe I'll go into tire changing tires as my next career  :knothead:  I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Awesome fellas!  Congrats to all involved in this epic trip and thanks so much for sharing!

I luv the "Bacon Strip"!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Curt, I love the "Bacon Strip" so much I keep leaving stuff at Jeff's house so I have to go back and pick it up the next time he is down here   :bigsmyl:  

In reality, the "fellowship" is what is best when I go down there. This time I was able to spend time with Jeff, Whip and Larry Surtees. I just missed Duckbutt by a day. The hog hunting is awesome also!

Benjy

Jeff, you sould have called me, I would have come up and changed the tires on the trailer for you!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along with you.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the stories, pix, & great times. Interested in Rebecca's knife sheaths. Where can I get info? The dog is about the coolest spamiel I've seen in a good while. Much obliged.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
Benjy,
Blew tire in SC, PA, and 15 minutes from home.  Two had picked up nails.  Luckily I carry two spares for both the truck & trailer.  Thanks to the smart phone, I looked up a tire store in Carlisle, PA where we were spending the night with the horses.  Got two new ones at 7:30 in the morning and started our 2nd day of travel.

Not only did you miss seeing Duckbutt...also some Pound Cake!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
We had a surprise when we got to the Bacon Strip.  Logging had happened since I was down in March. All the trees were clear cut behind the Sunset and my stand.  Both stands were on the ground.  The Sunset stand was where my son-in-law saw 75 pigs one night.  We knew the pigs were still around but not There!

It had been really dry all winter so we checked out a small water hole about a mile from the river to see if that might present a good stand site.  Unfortunately there was another hunter staking it out first!!

The little 6 ft gator was in the mud hole no bigger than a garage in size.  He had to have a long walk through the woods to get there.  It would have been fun to put up a stand and watch his traditional way of hunting.

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Great thread guys.  Sounds like a fun week.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Oh man, lovin every minute guys, one of these days....       :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
Well that was a good read!!  Great pics and stories.  More to come??  I'll check back to make sure.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
A most-excellent adventure!

Thank you for sharin' with us!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
That sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing the stories and pictures.  You'll love your spaniel Joe.
-Jay

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Each night I was on stand I had pigs around me.  The first night they came in after dark.  The 2nd night started with some black clouds but heck this is SC where we hardly ever get rain so no  sweat!  Oops, there goes my weather job at the local TV station as it rained for about 1/2 hour.

Just after the getting my rain gear off, in come two little pigs and then 5 more 50-125# pigs.  OK this is going to be fun since it was still early.  As they were munching corn, I heard a tree fall back in the woods and so did they skedaddling out.

The raccoons showed up next.  Southern raccoons are marked differently than the one here in MA.  They have a small black mask but the rest of the body is tan fur with the ring tail.  Northern one are much darker even black in the body.  Anyway they are fun to watch.  Plus being very helpful as they get very alert before pigs show up.  

About an hour before dark, a herd of porkers came in...20 total.  Larry had put corn out but most of it was near the road entrance and I was on the back of the feeding area.  All I could do was watch them eat, push one another around, squeal, and grunt.  It was quite a show that lasted 40 minutes.  Just at dark I had a good broadside pig at 15 yard.  The hit looked good into the chest.  At that point the group scattered every which way.

This is where a lighted nock is so valuable.  It is Not an Aid to your Shooting but most importantly and Aid for Recovery especially if you have a hearing impairment to know where to start looking for a escape trial.  I saw the pig take off with my arrow.  Then I saw the red glow of the nock slow down and go out.

When Joe & Benjy showed up to help track, we didn't find any blood but walked in the direction of my last sighting.  About 60 yards out Joe this  :goldtooth:  

This is what it was attached to!

Benjy made me a firm believer in Lighted Nocks & Toilet Paper trails on the ground.  I won't hunt anymore without either.  Even if the nock isn't in the animal, the blood trail usually starts where that arrow feel out.  Huge advantage to finding a good starting point.  Notice my White Arrow shafts.  They show up really well at dusk/dark giving you that last extra 15 minutes to be able to get a shot off!  tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
[qb] This is where a lighted nock is so valuable.  It is Not an Aid to your Shooting but most importantly and Aid for Recovery especially if you have a hearing impairment to know where to start looking for a escape trial.  I saw the pig take off with my arrow.  Then I saw the red glow of the nock slow down and go out.  

Benjy made me a firm believer in Lighted Nocks & Toilet Paper trails on the ground.  I won't hunt anymore without either.  Even if the nock isn't in the animal, the blood trail usually starts where that arrow feel out.  Huge advantage to finding a good starting point.  Notice my White Arrow shafts.  They show up really well at dusk/dark giving you that last extra 15 minutes to be able to get a shot off!  tippit

Those lighted nocks are super for color blindness also!! I dont hunt without them   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Doc Springer & WhipLasch strike again !!! What a team.
  Great Pics & Story Tellin boys.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©