3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Bow to Buy? What is the Difference?  (Read 335 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Bow to Buy? What is the Difference?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
There was a time when my groups where about 12 inches at 15 yrds. Then I shot a bow that shrunk them to 3 inches. Group after group. That bow made me good.

Buy a bow like that.

The only way to find out is to try some out.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline GRIZZSLAYR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Thank you all for your posts. I know that I am going to have to shoot some. I mainly was looking for individual experiences towards craftsmanship and overall fit and finish quality for the most part. Also, there is nothing wrong with Bear. He was a great guy who made great bows and they still do. I just want something a little more outside the everyday norm. I guess at this point it's time to pull the trigger, buy one, and start slingin arrows. I will look into the loaner program aswell. Any further thoughts keep the recommendations comming. I welcome all advice.
Active Duty US Army; SFC
1994-Present
Fort Wainwright, AK
OIF: Mar 03- Mar 04; Sep 05- Sep 06; Nov 07- Nov 08(101st Airborne)
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons" Gen Douglas MacArthur

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Grizz- I have a Kota TFX and like it.  I also have several other bows, expensive and not so expensive, and like them.  Please don't spend much money on a first bow.  As advised, get a light weight inexpensive bow to start with.  I probably have more bows than 3 or 4 people together should have, and I doubt that spending over $500 will get you a better bow.  As you spend more I believe you are getting better woods to look at, nicer finish to admire, inlays to drool on, etc.  Here's what you need to think about more than 'brand'- length, draw weight, mass of riser, high, med. or low grip and TD or one piece.  Good luck.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
A lot of great advise here as always but usually one big difference between today's recurves and longbows lies in the grip.  Usually the grips are quite different on longbows than from recurves. (There are some exceptions to this like the new ZipStick).   If you are transitioning from a compound to traditional, some think shooting a recurve is an easier transition due to the grip.  

All of the bows you listed are well known for quality fit and finish.  Each will feel slightly different in the hand and at the shot.  Proper tuning can help with much of this but even when each of the bows are tuned to perfection, they will have a different feel to them.  Buying a bow is much like buying a new car.  You really have to test drive each of them to see which one fits your needs, wants and desires the best!  

Given your situation / location I would suggest you work with a reputable dealer of used bows that will allow you to return it / trade it if it doesn't feel right to you.  There are several of these folks that help sponsor this website.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©