3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio questions  (Read 495 times)

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
Ohio questions
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
My out-laws just moved to the Canton Ohio area, so now I have started talking to my brother-in-law about since we have to visit the area in the fall/winter time that we should look at hunting it. He is from New Jersey and a compound shooter (I am not close enough to convert him yet), and I am from Texas and a trad shoot just to let you y'all know. Is there decent public land in that area? I know very little about the area and I have not found a map of the public land in the area, there could be one that I have just not found. Can you get everything that I need OTC or is there a drawing for licenses? Since they are having a baby this Thanksgiving I think that it would be 2013 when we could do this. Please help me get started.

Thank you,
Chester
Ask me about CTO.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Hi Chester, I think that when you do some research, you'll see that there's a lot of public land very close to the Canton area...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
I live in Canton and there is great hunting in the area.  There is plenty of public land within 1/2 hour of Canton including Beach City and Berlin Lake.  There is also plenty of smaller parcels of land that are open to the public that are not on the odnr website.  Private land is also fairly easy to get permission on in this area if you are willing to knock on doors.  All licenses are over the counter, if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.  By the way where in the Canton area did they move to.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Steve at least for the first year, I don't know that we will have the chance to knock on doors. If it is something that we start doing yearly then we might.

I believe that the plant that he is working at is in Massilon, and I want to say Canal Fulton is where they live, but I am not sure about that. The smaller places that you were talking about, how does one go and find out about them. Also the other places, do you have to buy a permit to use them, or just walk on to them?
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
I would get in touch with Stark Parks this is the Stark county Ohio park agency.  they let bowhunting only on many of there county parks and lakes.  You might also want to concentrate on Beach city canal fulton is located on Rt 21 and Beach city is located @ 20 miles south of Canal Fulton on Rt 21.  No permits needed on any of these areas for deer.  I do know a couple of other areas that are managed by the Muskegun Water consrvancy that have good hunting and are not on the ODNR website.  I would be nmore than willing to show you and your brother in law some of these areas if you come up to hunt.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Chester, when asking the Ohio boys questions, TYPE SLOWER. They will need to get someone (probably from Michigan) to read the questions for them.  :bigsmyl:  I love deer hunting in Ohio. Reasonable tag costs, and BIG deer. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Leave it to a Michigander to throw insults where none are needed  :biglaugh:  ( Or is that a Michigooser?)

Chester, when you are planning to come contact me or Steve. There are a bunch of us in the area, between us we can probably hook you up with some good hunting.

Mike, if you can find your way down from your state you are welcome to join us  :D
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Thanks for the offers for help, and helping me narrow down my search locations. It most likely be 2013 before we are able to do it, since my BIL is having a baby in the beginning of Nov... bad timing on his part.

Looking at this years current season (should be similar to next year I am assuming) when would be a good time to come up?

If Michigan is so great, why did my outlaws move from there? Hahahaha
Ask me about CTO.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Grew up in Canton. Beech City is a great place to hunt squirrels. Never hunted deer there though. Coshocton is a couple hours from there and has TONS of public land.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Charlie, Coshcoton is a name that I found and was looking at yesterday.

I think that what I am thinking is 2-3 day hunting, and then back to the family stuff.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Big deer killed at Beach city every year, my neighbor killed a 160 class 10 pointer there on opening day of gun this year.  does not get hunted that hard during bow season except by duck hunters and pheasant hunters.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Chester, when asking the Ohio boys questions, TYPE SLOWER. They will need to get someone (probably from Michigan) to read the questions for them.    :bigsmyl:    I love deer hunting in Ohio. Reasonable tag costs, and BIG deer. Good luck.
• Nov. 24, 2001: Ohio State 26, Michigan 20 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 23, 2002: Ohio State 14, Michigan 9 (Columbus)
• Nov. 22, 2003: Ohio State 21, Michigan 35 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 20, 2004: Ohio State 37, Michigan 21 (Columbus)
• Nov. 19, 2005: Ohio State 25, Michigan 21 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 18, 2006: Ohio State 42, Michigan 39 (Columbus)
• Nov. 17, 2007: Ohio State 14, Michigan 3 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 22, 2008: Ohio State 42, Michigan 7 (Columbus)
• Nov. 21, 2009: Ohio State 21, Michigan 10 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 27, 2010: Ohio State 37, Michigan 7 (Columbus

Send me a PM when you get in the area and we will see what we can do with some private land hunts in our area. I can send you some maps of Public land also. Bow season is generally quiet in most areas. Things get busy during gun.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Wait, where's the score from 2011?  :bigsmyl:  I have hunted near Zanesville with a friend (yes, I have friends in Ohio). The country seems quite a bit different than Michigan. I like the turkey and deer season's down there better than here at home. I think you can find some fine hunting spots and some fine people to hunt with down there Chester.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Nov. 24, 2001: Ohio State 26, Michigan 20 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 23, 2002: Ohio State 14, Michigan 9 (Columbus)
• Nov. 22, 2003: Ohio State 21, Michigan 35 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 20, 2004: Ohio State 37, Michigan 21 (Columbus)
• Nov. 19, 2005: Ohio State 25, Michigan 21 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 18, 2006: Ohio State 42, Michigan 39 (Columbus)
• Nov. 17, 2007: Ohio State 14, Michigan 3 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 22, 2008: Ohio State 42, Michigan 7 (Columbus)
• Nov. 21, 2009: Ohio State 21, Michigan 10 (Ann Arbor)
• Nov. 27, 2010: Ohio State 37, Michigan 7 (Columbus

[/QB]
That's funny, I don't care who you are!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
2011 was the blind squirrel rule.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
How many of those wins were "vacated" for rules violations?  :rolleyes:  DON'T CHEAT< OSU can't stand the competetion!  :D  This has been a PSA! Now back to hunting, good luck Chester, this year or next. I would say go the week of the UM/osu game, the woods will be empty!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Gerardi:
2011 was the blind squirrel rule.
In reality I could care less about a football game I'll be hunting if I'm not working.  

On to the question there is a ton of public land just south of Canton that is awesome hunting.  As long as you go before gun season.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Is there public hunting near Atwood lake? You might want to look into it. That is just 35-40 minutes south of Canton. I did lots of Crappie and cat fishing there. I have seen many deer, but never looked into hunting it. I have always just fished there for some reason.....

Also, you could easily hunt down on the Conesville coal lands or Trivalley Wildlife Area in Coshocton County/Muskingum County for a few days and then go back to Canton. I have shot 6 deer in that area. All with shotgun, but there is plenty of good bowhunting to be had out there.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
:clapper:        :biglaugh:    Too much fun.

Attwood has a grass( small plane ) runway. The golf course side was shut down for hunting , but the opposite side is good to go. I have seen alot of good deer by the runway. I hunted that area for a season and good buck sightings were very common. Send me a PM when your headed this way in the fall.

Mike

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
This is a good thread for me to follow. I'm moving to Toledo for grad school this August and definitely need to find some areas to hunt! I know it's going to be different than hunting here in Montana, but it'll be fun nonetheless!
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©