3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood vs. other materials. Accuracy.  (Read 542 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood vs. other materials. Accuracy.
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
I've been shooting wood a lot lately. I have not shot an animal with wood for a long time. But I may do so this year. My question is this. We all know carbon is more durable. But are they really more accurate?  Seriously I cannot tell the difference. Im talking about a set of well made wood arrows. Other than durability I am having a hard time remembering why I stopped shooting wood while hunting.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood vs. other materials. Accuracy.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I spoke with a past World Champion the other day. He used wood arrows in a tournament and beat the "carbon guys"....I think if you have good quality wood shafts and they are made properly they can shoot as good as carbon or aluminum.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I've shot nothing but wood since the early '80s, accuracy problems are not with the arrows, but strictly with me.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Kinda what I'm getting at Snag. I mean is anyone really a good enough shot to be able to tell the difference?  Again I'm talking accuracy. Not durability or anything else. I do know this. The first deer I killed with a recurve was killed with a wood arrow I made myself. He was just a small buck. That deer sticks out in my mind just as much or more than the buck in my avatar that I killed with a carbon. In fact I remember a bunch of critters I killed with wood arrows. And I cannot think of one animal that I killed with a carbon arrow that I would not have gotten with a wood arrow. I do understand that in the long run you will save money shooting carbon but just curious if that is the only real benefit.  There is just something about taking an animal with a wood shaft you made yourself. Think I'm gonna go back to that this fall.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
A quality set of wooden arrows will shoot every bit as good as carbon or alluminum.
James Kerr

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
How can you shoot around trees unless you use wood arrows  :)

I love wood arrows.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
It is just easier to get a good set of carbons.  Once you know what your bow likes, it is easy to duplicate them.  I still prefer wood.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
We all "know" that carbon arrows are more durable than wooden arrows but don't tell that to my Douglas Fir arrows!  Shot a stump a couple of weeks ago after hunting for "swamp chickens".  The carbon arrow was trashed.  The insert was pushed back into the shaft and splintered  it.  Shot the same stump with a woodie and the arrow just bounced back at me without the Ace Hexhead.  It wasn't damaged at all.  I'm still using it today.
As far as accuracy goes, get yourself some good, quality shafting that is matched to your bow and if you make a bad shot, check your form!  When I do what I'm supposed to do, I can't tell any difference other than the wood arrows are not as loud.
Sooooo...if you want to shoot wood, have fun and enjoy yourself!  Its all good!     :thumbsup:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I certainly can't say that I shoot better than a wood arrow shoots.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
I've been shooting wood again lately and when I do my part I can't tell any difference between shaft types. I just love wood arrows, especially the ones I make myself.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Yeah, I shoot good enough to tell the difference between carbon and wood,     :laughing:  

I use carbon because of time, or lack of it, as far as wood being more durable than carbon, this I have to see , not doubting anyone but I have shot rocks and not damaged my arrows. The trick is to use an adhesive that won't let the nock push back into the arrow, and or use an aluminum footing cut from an aluminum arrow.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
I ve been shooting only for about a year,and only last month I discovered woodies.Much much better feeling and flight than carbons imho.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
I love wood arrows, I build them myself and carbons too.  As far as accuracy goes, I can shoot the woodies every bit as well as the carbons, I just enjoy building arrows, either type. I have done just about every type and style of fletchings and tips, and when you make arrows that really match your bow, they just sing.
Boomer Sooner

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
I havent picked up my carbons since I made a matched set of Surewoods. I lovee wooden arrows and in my opinion you are not loosing anything by shooting them. Shoot what makes you happy. They are all good, wood carbon and aluminum.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
If you can match the spine of a wooden arrow to the pound and keep them straight wood arrows are as accurate as any synthetic shaft. In my opinion the standard 6# group woods are sold in is insufficient.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Not to sound all boastful or anything but I can tell the difference.

I shot nothing but wood for 20 years and know how to make a good arrow. The problem is consistency within a given number of arrows. Wood is not a consistent medium. Never will be.

I tried aluminum 6 years ago and was blown away by the improved accuracy. Make a dozen arrows years later and they will fly just the same.

For now, I'm shooting aluminum for target and hunting. My woodies are getting shot up on stumps.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
I shoot wood ,carbon and Alum. Mostly carbon and wood. I find it a lot easier to tune wood than any thing else. I foot my carbons on both ends for stumping.......I have broke more carbons stumping than wood [cedar,poplar,lam-birch and ash] I just love wood arrows....they just seem right! Carbons are consistent, but wood is good!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
I think shooting is 60% archer and 40% gear. I have a ton of busted nocks,and a nice bunch of robin hoods to show how accurately functional wood arrows are. Wood forgives Carbon doesnt.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I am a strong proponent of bare shafting. As long as the arrow has correct flight, the material makes little difference in terms of accuracy. I started out in the '60's with cedar then went to microflites then to aluminum and then to carbon. Fiberglass was pretty tough but carbon has it beat. Any wood shafts I have had in the past were quickly made into tomato stakes.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
It's possible to be plenty accurate with wood.

Still, there's a reason the bigger tournaments won't allow other arrow materials into the longbow class.  Compare the scores between classes sometime.

I'm not saying there's a significant difference between aluminum/carbon and wood in terms of accuracy, but saying there's no difference isn't true, either.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©