3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pro-fin arrow finish  (Read 218 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Pro-fin arrow finish
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Can you wipe the Pro-fin finish on over acrylic paint or does it come in a spray. Who carries the Pro-fin. Thanks, Don

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pro-fin arrow finish
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
I use Daly's for my primitive arrows and would recommend you dip it. It is already at a liquid consistency and you will get an even finish using that method.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
I use either Testor's or Krylon Short Cuts enamel because I get better color than the acrylics that I've tried and Pro-Fin will remove the silvers and gold almost instantly unless they are clear coated first with Krylon Short Cuts Crytal Clear. That is the only Krylon product that I have found that is compatible without making my whites turn yellowish.  

I'm not an authority on the subject, this is just what works for me...

Good luck,

Brad

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
The instructions say that you may wipe on. I have dipped and used a foam brush to apply it and both methods work well for me. That said I have not used the Acrylics for a crown just for cresting and I use them exclusively for that.

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Please excuse my lack of attention, I read acrylic but was thinking about enamel when I replyed...  I have used a foam brush to apply Pro-fin over water based acrylics many times, it works very well.  

Sorry for my mix up above.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
For the Gold and Silver use a water based/acrylic paint, let dry overnight and dip, the oil based Pro-fin or Poly's wont bother it.

This arrow is all Testors oil base enamel, the silver is Whispering Wind acrylic. The cresting was all done at once, then let set overnight, then dipped in Pro-Fin.

Dont know why but it only bothers the gold & silver paints, switched to acrylic and all is well.

Eric

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Those are some fine looking arrows there!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Thanks  guys, I am going to get some and give it a shot. Don

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Just a quick tip when using Profin, when you go to put the top back on the can, take a can of air ( like you would use on your computer keyboard) and turn it upside down and using the stray that comes with it, spray it into the can of profin to force out any air left in the can. Profin will go bad quick once it is exposed to air. I found out the hard way and lost a couple of cans, but this took care of the problem.

Rick

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Rick, which sheen of Pro-fin are you using? Satin, gloss?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
gloss

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Never had a problem with it going bad like that. That's why I asked.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Jason....dont understand why doing a double over coat (scuff coat) with the dalys when you're doing it  waterbased finish?   You gain little in durability overall to protecting crests.  The gloss is achieved with one coat or two coats of the waterbase....dries faster, and doesnt distort colors.  I 'scuff coat' mainly to give my caps/crest an even shine compared to the hole shaft.

Dalys is a great arrow finish but it does have a couple flaws.

First it burns.  Try a water based arrow...profined arrow...and an epoxy arrow.  And you'll understand what target burn is (In 3d targets).   I put them in order of burn..so its not as bad as most waterbases...but it still stinks!  

second, it yellows over white.  The  more coats you apply the more yellow/amber  your white becomes (I use white bands for part of my crest) and have built some white capped arrows.  Kind of a bummer to see it get a tinge of yellow.  I gave up overcoating with profin and only do it with waterbase..no yellow and things looks consistent which is what I'm after.

Third, if you're a slow dipper, you need to shake it up every so often or it CAN (not nessicarly will), cause curing problems.   I've had it happen a couple of times where stirring things back up in my tube ever couple of arrows fixed it.   Wait for bubbles to dissapate or scoop them out with a spoon and continue dipping.  I'm not sure if its due to older profine...afterall around here it could be on shelves for a long time.  or if its just the drying agents seperating from the actual finish.  Which ever it is, if you have issues with drying....mix it up it'll likely fix your problems.  

Lastly its slooooow to dry in general (not as slow as the massey finish though but not far off.  Depending on temp and humidity.   I've used heat in the form a chicken light OR a heater on different occasions to help speed things up . This slow dry time begs the question...if you're into wiping on and slower dry times, why not use the massey finish?  Its more waterproof, more durable, and doesnt burn.  You do have more compatibility issues however in paints and glues depending on if you epoxy the hole shaft or everything below the cap-crests, and/or try a scuff coat..if so overcoat with waterbase first and get off the cresting area fast or it can/will dissolve your silver and gold fine bands.   Fletch with tape is how I've gone about it....buddy of mine has a good write up on  using it for arrows.    Epoxy being more durable works very well for a scuff coat compared to profin.

PROS.

its a snastastic arrow finish!  high gloss and atleast for my purposes duarable enough.  I like dipping verses wiping on finishes but that is personal preference.  I've used it for awhile now and really like it and will continue to do so as long as I can find it!   It looks good over unstained shafts and the yellowing of my white crests is kept at bay by only going over the cap once, or not at all and using a waterbased to scuff coat.   I prefer it over the massey finish due to the compatbility conquest of playing with epoxy and not wanting to fletch tape feathers on. Fletch tape is nice when it works...quick and easy, its a royal pain in the rear when it doesnt as I found out last fall with close to 1000 caribou streaming by and not a shaft with feathers on board.   I reckon a guy could 5mn epoxy feathers on and not have this issue.  It's something I havent tried and if daly's gets harder to find (almost 400 miles to buy by the gallon, or pay outragous prices by the quart here locally WHEN/IF they have it!).

I'd also recommend dipping profin.  We end up thinning a bunch of other finishes down......profin comes the perfect consistency!   It is however getting harder to find for me anyways...like all good things over time!

I'm also using gloss and buy in gallons and quarts and SO FAR (knock on paint cans), mine hasnt gone bad.    Gloss finish is more durable than the the rest...if you dont want gloss grab some fine sandpaper/steel wool and scuff knock the shine.   Say 1000 grit?  I've never done it, I like shiney arrows  ;) .

Almost forgot to add....I'd highly recommend buying a strainer..the cheapo's at homedepot lows work well.  If you are emptying it back into cans, you can keep from  having issues by using the strainers over both the dip tubes and in the can.  If you choose to try wiping on...I wouldnt dip a rag into the can itself.  And stay away from steel wool if you can or be sure they care clean before you go about dipping...you can ruin a dip tube in short order if you dont!  The thing about profin I dont see as much in other finishes is getting a chunk of junk dried crusted flake in your finish on an arrow and having to cut it off and run another coat over the shafts.

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Dave, I talked to them at Daly's about it going bad and they are the one's that told me to get the air out of the can when resealing it. It didn't go bad over night or anything, just after it had been sitting for a while.

Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©