3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cajun Get Away for St. Judes  (Read 458 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Cajun Get Away for St. Judes
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Hope this interests SOMEONE. It’s time for some good old fashion Cajun Hospitality to enter the mix. I believe that we in Louisiana are truly blessed in where we live, and that our culture is so uniquely different, that I want to share it with the people of Trad Gang.

I am offering up to a 3 day stay for two (preferable Friday- Sunday, could get there Thursday night) at my camp aptly named “Too Blessed to Be Stressed”. It is located on a private lake, just west of Krotz Springs, Louisiana in beautiful St. Landry Parish in the heart of the West Atchafalaya Spillway. If you care to look it up (Fly To “Three Mile Lake, Louisiana” on Google Earth), it’s the new subdivision being built on the northeast corner of the lake off of Louisiana Highway 71. Transportation from the Lafayette, Baton Rouge, or New Orleans airport will be provided if needed.

If fishing is your pleasure, my boat is fifteen steps away from the back deck. We should have no problem catching more than enough to eat, or we could easily catch 100 or so if things are right. It’s privately stocked, and contains bass, bream, and crappie, whatever you prefer to fish is fine with me. I would say that fishing is best from March on through about June (if you can stand the heat), but you can come anytime your schedule permits.

If hunting is your pleasure, my deer hunting lease is only 20 minutes away. Archery season is from October 1st through mid February. A few decent mid-120-130 bucks fall every year to keep us coming back. We kill about 50-60 deer a year and have killed upwards of 90 in a year. Truth be known, I would go back even if no deer were killed just for the experience of deer camp. You will be allowed to shoot any legal deer under my membership (one doe or one buck with 3 points or better) if you so choose, no need to wait on Mr. Big and our does taste great and make for easier packing through the thick stuff anyway. Hunters accustomed to Midwest “givens” with deer seen EVERY hunt need not apply, this is in no way a given, but you do have a better than average chance for a shot (unless the weather doesn’t cooperate). You are guaranteed a fun time and will meet some VERY interesting, fun loving, people at deer camp and you will come away from the experience with a few new friends.

Now for the REAL auction item ….. I will ABSOLUTELY promise you the most relaxing time of your life along with the best Cajun cuisine and hospitality our land has to offer. Deer, crawfish cooked several ways, frog legs, redfish on the half-shell, oysters, gumbo, jambalaya, cochon de-lait (Google it), king cakes, and a host of other Cajun gems are but a few of the potential menu items. YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT on this adventure, so don’t even THINK diet!!!! I have assembled a group of “guest” chefs (real camp cooks) which will include our own Kip Manual to make sure that you get to experience old fashion authentic style Cajun cooking that our part of Louisiana is so uniquely known for. For the ones who may have sampled Kip’s crawfish ettouffe at the recent hog/turkey hunt at Ray Hammond’s place or his cooking at Bear Quest V, you know the food itself will be worth the trip. Kip fashions himself as just an “average cook at best” when compared to the cooks I have assembled, not my words, his. These guys are MASTER camp chefs. Like a Canadian once told me after having sampled our Cajun cuisine for the first time and having eaten to the bursting point, “Fred, when it comes to food, I now feel that we Canadians live under a rock”!!!!

So come on down ….. leave your worries behind ….. and as we say "Laissez les bon temps roulez"!!! That’s “Let the Good Times Roll” for you non-Cajuns.

WARNING: This package is not about a big deer at ever corner or a fish on every cast, but it IS about experiencing a “joie de vivre” lifestyle that everyone should experience once in their lifetime!!!!!! I’ll throw in a beignet breakfast at Café de Monde in New Orleans if you don’t mind using up a morning. Friday night, I’ll supply the Basil Hayden and Crown Reserve, you supply your favorite cigar, and we’ll sit by the fire ring, eating ribeyes and telling lies until we can’t laugh another minute. Bid up for the kids guys, it will be FUNNNNN!!!!!!! Pictures of the camp and lake in the auction, we don’t rough it!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cajun Get Away for St. Judes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Good on ya Fred. Whoever wins this is in for one heck of a good time!!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
WE CAJUNS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE A LITTLE FUN!
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Aaaaaahhhhheeeeeiiiiiii cher
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline swamprat26

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Another weekend in God's country!!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Nice!!!!!!!

Bisch

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Hoping the Basil Hayden and cigars will make Killy drop a bundle for the kids!   :pray:      :pray:
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
I'll donate some boudin and cracklins for this Fred.
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I can't tell you how disappointed I am to find this posted on PowWow.   I've tasted Kip's cooking, and if that's what you consider average this thing is going to be over the top!

I was really hoping to keep this one flying under the radar and snag it cheap.  Now you've gone and given the whole world a heads up.  Guess I'm going to have to dig deeper.     ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I am from there and know exactly what the experience would be like...GREAT!

Cajun hospitality is hard to beat!

Offline David Spear

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Any chance of doing some duck huntin?
TGMM family of the bow
Member since 6/6/09

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Not Southern La but I lived in Bossier City for a spell (USAF). Louisiana is a place I miss alot, for the food and outdoors, but love to hate, due to the heat and humidity in the summer (uniform and boots on the tarmac - UGH!).

Well worth a trip no matter the time of year.

I'm sure this'll be a treat.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
KOOK - Don's Specialty Meat Market boudin and cracklins ..... we call it the breakfast of champions!

Whip - Kip is always telling everyone that he's just average, but I have yet to meet even one "average" cook that hails from Avoyelles or Evangaline Parish.  He's a heck of a guy and as we say "salt of the earth".  He's looking forward to sharing the camp with us that weekend.

David - There is duck hunting ..... if you can call it that.  No designated blinds, no calling,  just woodducks by the hundreds in the morning leaving the roosts as they fly to the bayous nearby.  You just have to do a little scouting and know where they are that week.  We like to make a short hunt so as not to mess up the deer hunting.  It can get pretty loud.   Didn't mention it because while the limit for all ducks is 6, you can only kill 3 woodducks per person per day and we don't get many greenheads unless it gets REAL cold (like 29 degrees!!!!!              :biglaugh:              ).  It's mostly a 15 - 20 minute .... can't load your gun fast enough .... speed demons zig zagging through the cypress trees kind of hunt, but hey, if you are up for it, I'm game.  We usually make a few hunts a year to get a dinner or too.  By the way, you have not eaten pot roasted woodducks better than mine, and YES I'm bragging!!!! There is always the afternoon to climb a tree with the bow for deer.  After all this is THE SPORTSMAN'S PARADISE!

Remember guys, bid HIGH for the kids!!!!!!
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Sure sounds like a blast. Got to keep an eye on this one.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline David Spear

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Fred, do stuff it with corn bread and cranberries?
TGMM family of the bow
Member since 6/6/09

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
David, that would destroy that "authenic cajun cuisine" that I am promising.  Part of being Cajun is embracing the natural flavors, not covering them up.     :biglaugh:    

BUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT, since I am determined to be a gracious host I'll let you prepare a dish, maybe we will both learn something about each others cooking that night.  BID HIGH!
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline David Spear

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Don't knock it till you've tried it. I've been down in LA. a few times to help restore power from hurricane damage the people and food are wonderful.
TGMM family of the bow
Member since 6/6/09

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Just messing with you David, I've eaten it before and it is good.  I mean how bad can anything be with corn bread and crannberries.

Reminds me of when we used to get together for a card game and duck cook-off after duck season every year when I was VERY mad at dem ducks.

One year I had a guy take a woodduck, put a 1/2 pint of oysters in the cavity, and cook it in a 100 year old dutch over (in an oven)at 475 degrees for 2 hours!  Never opened it, never looked at it, THAT'S IT!

I looked at him like he had bumped his head.  OMGOSH, the marriage between tastes of the duck breast and the oysters was heavenly! That was 20 years plus ago and I STILL remember that dish although I've never cooked it.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©