3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Shrew compared to Thunder Child  (Read 219 times)

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Shrew compared to Thunder Child
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I have not owned a long bow in a long time.  I want to try a forward grip bow, and have been looking at (reading about) these two.  I will not likely have an opportunity to shoot either of them before I order.  

Can anyone give me some personal feed back of how they compare?  I have read the the grip design on the Shrew is very good.  Thanks for any insights you  can offer.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Shrew compared to Thunder Child
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
both are smooth and fast wait time on a custom might be longer for the shrew both have high resale values fine hunting sticks!

i have only owned one T/Child it was a little heavy for me but shot great owned several shrews my favorite is the shrew classic hunter but like i said both are fine bows good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
I have owned and shot both those bows side by side,Flip a coin,both are fantastic.Maybe a nod for shrews grip and a nod to Jim on the workmanship.My TC was a takedown and it can't be worked down like a one piece .You won't go wrong with either.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
I would probably wait until I could shoot them before ordering if it was me. I have owned a classic hunter and thunderchild of same length and similar poundage. Nice, bows, but very different. I still have the thunderchild, for what it's worth.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
I've owned both, and both are great bows, but I don't own a Shrew any longer and have three Thunderchilds (two 2-piece and one 1-piece all 56") with another 2-piece 56" on order... don't know what else to say.  

Love the Thunderchild!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
check the classifieds... first one of the two that comes up in your draw and weight range you are looking for, pull the trigger.  You can't lose here.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
I would say shoot them both before deciding! Everyone likes different things! For me, I regrets selling my shrews but don't have any selling my thunderchilds! The grip on the shrew fit me like a glove and the TC was like holding a club! Again nothing wrong with either bow I just prefered the grips of the shrews!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
In my opinion it will come down to the grip, which one feels better to you.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gufunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
I recently acquired a Super Shrew and have had a TC. They were both takedowns which i prefer. Both shot great and were comparable in that way but grips are a whole different story. I now only have a Shrew TD because with the bow bolt TD system they are able to keep the grip small which i like. The TC grip was just to big but the workmanship was second to none.
Excel 21" w/Kaya Tomcats 40#
Excel 21" w/SF Axioms #35
Morrison Phoenix 19" w/ Max 1 #48
Toelke Lynx 66" LB 50#
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ~ Ben Franklin

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the very helpful info.  I am on the back side of two rotator surgerys; left and right.  So I need a bow in the low 40's at my DL.  I have watched the adds but missed the only one I saw that would fit me.

I'd rather shoot first but may not get the chance.  It sure wouldn't be the first bow I bought for that reason.  :)

Thanks again guys for the info.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
I have never shot a Shrew, but I hear they are great Bows. I do own a TC and I like it a lot!!! It is a great hunting bow.

Good luck
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Owned both... Now all I have are Kanati's.   :thumbsup:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Owned both. FOR ME, and I can't stress that enough, the Shrew is a better fit. The TC was a great bow but it just didn't "fit" me as well. The Shrews I have all fit me better.

It's going to be tough saying which one is a better fit FOR YOU. Keep a close eye on the classifieds here. And as stated above, the first one that comes up in your price range, pull the trigger.

Have fun and good luck.
Romans 8:28

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Question related to Gofunk's comment:

Does the sleeve-type takedown system   require  a larger diameter grip or does the TC just have a larger diameter regardless of whether it's one piece or two piece?

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
Question related to Gofunk's comment:

Does the sleeve-type takedown system   require  a larger diameter grip or does the TC just have a larger diameter regardless of whether it's one piece or two piece?
I have small hands and the handle on my TC 2 pieces is as small as my 1 piece buffalo bow. Hope this helps.

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
You could actually have a smaller grip in the sleave than you can on the bow bolt. I seldom get asked for a small grip. Most ask for medium, large  and sometimes med-small.

If you have shot a Thunder Child, chances are it was built to order.

bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©