3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weather rest vs off the shelf  (Read 669 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weather rest vs off the shelf
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
My "theory" why an elevated rest typically will give better arrow flight is the arrow has much less contact with the bow.  Less contact equals more forgiving for flaws in tuning or form.

And, I have NEVER seen any bow shoot better off the shelf than a rest.  That is not saying you can't get excellent arrow flight off the shelf.  Most of my bows are set up to shoot off the shelf.  

But, my BOW, the bow I trust over all the others combined, the one that I know will survive any conditions in the wilderness I come accross, the one that will shoot a broadhead where I want it with feathers  OR    any  vanes, the one that I would keep if I was only allowed one bow; that bow has an elevated rest on it.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I just put a Flipper II on my Habu. I like it!

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Since i started moose hunting 10years ago,i have use a bear rest and carry at least one arrow with vanes.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Here is a pic of the Hoyt rest on my camo TallTines.  That has been on there 2 or 3 years and has gotten a lot of abuse.  I will probably fix it up all nice before September.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Lil red rooster: I won't say you are wrong but here is my experience. Back in the 50's and 60's I shot a lot of competitive archery along with my love for hunting. Back then everyone shot an elevated rest and many used plungers as well. When compounds came around I shot them for a while and went back to my recurves. At the time the term "traditional" had been "born" and to be considered truly "traditional" you were expected to shoot wood arrows and shoot off the shelf. I did. Almost without realizing it I started to have accuracy problems and over the years, now that I look back, I was missing and wounding more game...something that rarely happened in the old days, including when I shot a compound. I put an elevated rest (and a plunger) on my bow and I noticed an increase in arrow speed, better accuracy, easier tuning and no wounded game. In addition, I found that shooting off the shelf there were some broadheads that  were just finicky that I just could not shoot. With an elevated rest it seems any broadhead will shoot well for me.  I know my story in anecdotal but when someone like Ryan Rothhaarr gets on  your bus you take notice.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Hey Ryan, better watch out or you'll be gap shooting pretty soon.  :)

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I switched to a modified Bear Weather Rest on my recurves years ago when on a hunt with Barry Wensel.  He showed me how he set his up and I simply duplicated that.  I have never shot better.  He told me how Paul Schafer set up his recurves the same way. Now, if only I could duplicate their hunting results!!  LOL. ~Steve

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Ttt
bryce olson

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »
Just bought a few different rests from the evil store to try. I have a NAP flipper on my ILF bow and I can't believe the difference in tuning it vs. tuning off of the shelf.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
I am still in the process of trying out a weather rest on one of my bows. I modified it by cutting off some of the bottom and some of the top. Basically it is a strip as wide as the finger.
I honestly can't tell that it helped or hurt my shooting. I can switch between bows with just a rug and with the rest without any problems or conscious adjustments.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©