3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Air Travel with Bows  (Read 263 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Air Travel with Bows
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I am not a computer savvy dude. I would like to know how to go about looking for affordable airline tickets. I thank you all,
PM or Post.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Air Travel with Bows
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Kayak.com will let you see several options at once

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Southwest airlines is cheap. Or use a search site like kayak.Travelocity ect.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Right on Guys, Thank You.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
We use nothin but Expedia.  Dirt cheap to Hawaii and back 3 times now.  You need to either buy really early, or go on one of their last minute deals to get awesome pricing though.  Even went to S. Carolina thru them this spring.

There is also Orbitz, travelzoo, Priceline just to name a few more.

Where are you guys going?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Here ia another tip.

Let's say you find a good deal on Expedia and let's say it's on Delta. Make sure you go directly to Delta to see if they have it cheaper. It has happened to me before when I have done that after I bought the tickets on Expedia found them cheaper when I went directly to the Airline.

Good luck.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Chuck

You coming to CO for an elk hunt?    :pray:     :p
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Southwest Airlines with Plano fishing rod tube.
Bow and arrows- no problemo.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I agree with using expedia, orbitz, travelocity and the likes but it does pay to check with the airlines directly as 69recurve said.
Just bought tickets today for South Africa so now I'm ready to go.  :biglaugh:    :archer2:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
make sure when you use these kind of sites you check on how many items you can take(bags) and what weight restrictions they have because you might end up saving on the flight but paying extra to get you equipment there and your game home that would not make their rate worth it.  also check on if the deal includes carry on and/or checked.

my two cents

Tim
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I travel a lot and have always used kayak.com for 2 reasons 1 I haven't seen them beat and 2 the price they give you includes all the taxes so unlike most of the others the final price doesn't bite you at the end.
   I also live away from a city so at times cheaper for me to buy different legs of my trip on different airlines but you just need to be careful and flexible doing that as airlines do adjust flight times and won't coordinate between airlines as they will  within themselves but I did save $500 per person doing it that way in April .unless your a flier though it's worth the extra money to buy from your beginning to final destination at one time. Good luck
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 05:28:00 AM »
As previously mentioned, check kayak.com first, then the airlines website directly.  And take a take down bow, it is much easier and less hassle than a one piece.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
I'm a frequent flier and have been using Delta almost exclusively for 16-17 years. Sometimes I use Orbitz or Expedia to make sure I'm getting the best deal from Delta. I prefer to fly with Delta because the sky miles add up to free flights over time. On Delta I can check 2 free bags that weight up to 70 pounds. (One free at 50 pounds is the standard).

The tip above to go directly to the Delta site after getting a quote from one of the web searches has worked for me as well. I do this more to improve my connections. Most of the time Orbitz offered the same as Delta. I have even called Delta (800 221-1212) to check on flights and sometimes get a better quote.

I had never checked Kayak before. I just checked for an upcoming trip to Baltimore and Kayak was $1 higher than Delta.com.

I have rarely found SW cheaper for me. But this is likely because I have only one choice of airports (Louisville) in my area.

Years ago I was allowed to put a TD riser in my checked bags and the limbs in my carry-on. I've even packed handguns before. You have to declare that they are in your checked bag (which bag) and pack the firearm and the ammo separately. When you arrive to your destination there will be a "red card" (delta at least) in the bag containing the handgun.

You should make sure you book what you want. Change fees on Delta these days are $150 plus the difference (if any) of the flight you change to.

One final tip. No matter how you might think you've been mishandled (missed connection, late flight, etc.) kindness works wonders with the gate attendants!  I've seen people in front of the complaint line go ballistic (or would that be heavy FOC?) and get no where (literally). I've stepped up next and received an alternate flight or as much as $600 credit towards my next flight. You'll never be able to out-bad the worst these attendants have seen sho shock and awe only makes you less important to them.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Chuck, I think it depends on where you are trying to get to.

I do know Delta has a Hub in detroit, but a buddy of mine, is looking at flying to Mpls. and mentioned a new airline flying out of Detroit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©