3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When you shoot a deer....  (Read 601 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
When you shoot a deer....
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Does it walk off slowly or bolt outa there?

Seems like all the animals I've ever shot bolted. Hogs might be the exception....a lot of them just waddle off.

Deer and African game lit out like their hair was on fire.

My experiences include my wheel days.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When you shoot a deer....
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Only deer I killed w/ a bow was a compound. Arrow deflected off of a rib and hit the spine. He dropped so quick, I wasn't sure what had happened.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Think ? If I shot you with an arrow wouldnt you bolt off...LOL I have seen them stay still and slow walk after a gun shot,not an arrow
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I've only killed two with a bow. One gut shot and one 8 second death run. The gut shot was straight meat and stomach so all she did was hop 40 yards and bed down. The short death run was a shot I pulled forward and it quartered through the shoulder and into the heart. She ran very hard which I would attest to the amount of shock that was delivered from getting hit through a shoulder at very close range. My dad taught me that as long as you hit mostly meat and not much bone like a straight double lung shot with a sharp broadhead deer may just trot a few yards and look around.
These are just my observations and things I've been taught. I'm interested in hearing from the more experienced bow hunters out there.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
All the deer I have killed with my bows have died running or ran about 50 yards stopped and fell over dead. This includes heart, double lung, liver, and gut shots. I have only heard of one instance where a deer slowly walked off after being shot with an arrow and that was from a crossbow.
James Kerr

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
From what I've read, most if not all deer heart-shot (gun or bow) will run like crazy. One in particular I remember, I hit head-on with a .30-06. He tore up the ground running in about a 30 yard circle,dead on his feet, and fell practicly in the spot I had hit him.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
One deer I shot ran twenty yards then stopped, stayed in place for about ten seconds then dropped.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
I have only had 2-3 out of a whole bunch over the years walk off slowly. One actually walked about 30 yards and started feeding then fell over. That shot went between both ribs.

I had a few drop in their tracks back when I thought I had to climb 20'.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Almost every one I've shot have bolted. I've had a few bound off then stop and look back but that is rare for me. Don't ever remember one that just walked off and never ran at all.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
All have bolted, but sometimes not very far.  I've seen quite a few go only 30 yards or so, look around, and fall over.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Every deer that I've shot ran like they were scolded except for a few spine shots were the deer was directly below me.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
I shot a rutting buck that just flinched a little, then when back to grunting and walking. He even stopped and nibbled on some brush. Double lunged him, he walked about 50 yards and tipped over.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
The last 3 Deer I've shot all reacted differently. The first I liver shot as it was walking pretty fast. It made one jump and then slowly walked 30 yards and bedded down. Recovered 2 hrs. later after jumping it up while trying to get another arrow in it. Shot with a Magnus 2 blade.

Next one made a 40 yard mad dash and literally went head over heals twice. It was shot with thru the tip of the shoulder then into the heart with a Snuffer.

Last Buck was working a scrape line. I grunted him to about 7 yards and put a 2 blade Magnus thru both lungs. Went between ribs on both sides somehow. He made 2 big jumps then stopped looked around then tried to work another scrape. He started coughing then started walking away. He went about 50 yards total.

I think it mostly depends on the placement of the shot and what organs or bones are struck as to how they react.

bretto

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I shot a doe once that started scratching at her chest leisurely with her hind leg then just kind of walked a few yards and crumpled. By the time it occurred to me to nock another arrow, she was down. Only deer I've shot from a tree.

Almost all have run about 50 yards and piled up.

I had a bad hit on a small buck once that bedded down at about 60 yards and I sat there and watched him just before sunset. His head never went down and I got about 35 yards from him and took the shot and missed and he bolted. I was up all night tracking him, but I got him about 3/4 mile away.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I've had them act all kinda ways..lope with tail up, stop and start twitching tail and looking around. Wide open with tail tucked..just fall over with paralyzing spine hits, etc. Never had one just walk off that I can remember.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
I double lunged a doe ten or so years ago. The Zwickey Eskimo zipped right thru her. She buck jumped at the shot and then stood there licking at the blood coming out of her nose. She turned, walked away and piled up after about 40 yards. It seems that heart shot deer always take off running in my experiance. I believe if you hit bone with the loud whack sound they are going to run.

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
They usually bolt, had one run into a tree and drop right there once after a heart shot.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
This is my experiance also. Never had one run into a tree however. I bet that was a sight.

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by wooddamon1:
They usually bolt, had one run into a tree and drop right there once after a heart shot.
The buck in my avatar was heart shot. It spun ran down hill about 30 yards out of sight and dead centered a tree. Was an awful sound but I knew he was down.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
The only deer I've shot hopped up in the air and took 3 slow bounds, then stopped and stood still.  I had a complete pass-through; he took a few steps, laid down, and that was it.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©