3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When you shoot a deer....  (Read 600 times)

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When you shoot a deer....
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Shot a big doe once that was vacuming up acorns, double lunged she ran 10 15 yards and went back to eating acorns. Rear end started swaying and she fell right there. Most I've shot do a death run of 50 or so yards.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
The strangest one Ive shot was a small buck that jumped in front of a doe that I was shooting at right after I released. I hit him in the lungs, he sprinted hard for 50 yards or so, hit a tree and both antlers flew off! It was in December so about ready to shed I guess. Use an antlerless tag on him!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Had them do anything from dropping on the spot,running off or walking away and bedding down. It all depends on shot placement.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
the buck in my avatar i shot last year he was with another buck his size and several does.. i think there was 4 or 5 does with them. they were all around my stand eating acorns. i shot the buck and he did one big mule kick and  just stood there.the other deer just stood there too. they all started back eating. the buck got wobbly after a minute or two. he fel over and the other deer just looked at him and kept eating..... seems like with that many deer at least  one of them would of gotten spooked but they didnt... thats the only time this has happend to me

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
oh yeah and the arrow was hangin out the other side the whole time

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
I have had them run and I have had them kick, look around, and go back to eating.  

I believe if there is little noise to spook them, and you do not hit any major bones to cause a big impact, they are not in pain. .  

Something happened, they know not what though.
ChuckC

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Seems to me it depends at least in part where you hit them.  A gut shot will hunch up and walk or trot off, run a little ways and then lay down. The ones I've heart shot have run like crazy.  I've slipped one between the lungs on a few occassions and they have done some of both; run a short distance and pinwheel or just run and not stop till they dropped.

I don't remember shooting a pig that did not leave in a hurry, but I have not killed nearly as many of them.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I've had all sorts of reactions, too. The last doe I shot was a broadside double lung. At the shot, she made one big leap and just stood there. After a few seconds, she started to walk off and simply fell over. I shot her from about 16 steps, and she never got more than 30 yards from me. Field dressing revealed my arrow had slipped between the ribs on both sides.

If I look back, I think that every time I've hit a bone, or if the arrow stayed in, the deer took off. The ones I've shot that just stood there, the broadhead slipped between the ribs and completely passed through.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I ahve had most of them run like a scalded dog, had a small buck jump, lick the entry, kept eating acrons, fell over dead.  I had a doe get shot, liver hit, walk away 60 yards, bed down, put head down ... she was done.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I've killed well over 100 with the bow and 1 with the gun. All act a little differently. The gun killed one dropped without making a move. I've had deer run over 600 yards with a double lung shot like they came out of a cannon, Had them run a short distance and crash into trees, walk away slowly(usually gut shot), had them bolt 20 yards and stop and look back and even had a few never even lift there head from what they were eating and just tip over a few seconds later. Most of the double lung shot deer I have watched only lived about 12 seconds.........what they did in that 12 seconds varied a lot. I think at all depends on how relaxed the deer is and where the shot is.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
"I think at all depends on how relaxed the deer is and where the shot is."
  I agree skipmaster. I have had similar experiences. Two seemingly 'identical' shots on two different deer will likely yield different results.
  I shot a doe some years back that barely flinched at the shot, stood there a few seconds, then casually turned around and walked back the way she came in. I thought I had missed. About 15 minutes later, as I was starting to pack my gear up to come down, I heard a huge crashing sound. I turned around and watched her roll down the hill, where she had walked up, and she died in sight. "I knew I hit her". It was an 8 yard shot from about 25' up, and I only clipped one lung.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Can't remember a deer not bolting after the shot other than spined.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
I've hit two deer in the spine over the years which dropped (of course I missed my spot). Of all the other deer I've had only one react as if it wasn't hit by just taking a quick jump then walking 10 yards and toppling.

The others hit the road very quickly, sometimes with little regard for brush and small trees in their path. I have seen the vast majority of my bow-killed deer fall in less than 70 yards. The last 3 recurve-killed deer have died in less than 55 yards from my tree stand. Subtract the 16-21 yard shot distance and these deer went just a bit over 30 yards before cashing it in.

Offline Mic W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I have only one time had a deer stay still after I shot it. It was a very windy day and it reluctantly  came into a clearing to feed.After I shot it looked back then walked a few steps and then fell over. It had no idea what just happened and seemed to be confused as to what to do.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I've had them react pretty much every way that has been discussed so far.  A deer running with his tail tucked is a good sign but a deer running with his tail straight up does not always mean a bad hit. The deer that I have shot that just walked off were always gut shot. Thankfully that one has not happened to me in a number of years.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
had one bound three times then die and fall over. the rest take off like a rocket
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Well, sounds about like what I expected. Every now and again I hear about a deer that wnet back to eating and fell over dead a few seconds later....gota love that tracking job.

Never had that happen. Seems they all die on the run between 75-150 yds as long as I do my part.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
All of mine ran like their was no tomorrow...except the ones I spined(they dropped like a sack of potatoes).

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
All the above!  . . .  

I do think if you shoot when they are slowly walking (my favorite shot!), most do not react with the harsh bolt reaction. I do think the 2 blade head may have some affect on this as well.

I never stop a deer to shoot! In fact, I would rather they start to walk slowly before I draw. I have never really observed a deer that was relaxed and slowly walking "jump the string." And I have had a lot of deer just walk off, jump a bit then walk off, or bolt then stop to look back as they walk off.

My 2C
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline scottfix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Ive shot my share of deer over the years with a bow, and every one reacted the same way . . . .  ran like they were on fire.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©