3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Special HERO shots!  (Read 963 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Special HERO shots!
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Sometimes a kill means more than just the size or rarity of the animal. What's the story behind your special hero shot the picture doesn't portray.

>>>----->

In 2004 I had hung my stand at my family farm down in a little wood patch that was next to an old delapidated homestead.

You see this old home was build by my Great Grandfather. I never knew them but everytime I am in this little piece of woods I feel a deep connection with it and the land. It is littered with acorn trees and when they start falling it is a good thing to be there.

This is the only deer I have killed in the little woodlot by the house. I'll never forget this hunt, she walked around feeding underneath all these trees for a long time before I ever saw her. With the thick leafy canopy so low my stand platform was maybe 10' off the ground and I could hear her forever meandering around crunching nuts before she finally appeared about 15 yards away. Head down rumaging through the leaves for her prizes she feed her way right underneath me. I was 10' over her and the shot was maybe 5 yards.

In 2008 a friend of mine had 6 or 7 of us out to thin down his overpopulation of does. We had a contest for most and largest. Great campfire that evening with many close bowhunting friends. As I usually hunt alone, this photo brings back a bunch of good memories.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Special HERO shots!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Great pics and great memories.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »

This would be it for me.  I lost my grandfather a few years ago and I shot this doe after his funeral on the property he farmed his entire life.  The pants I'm wearing were my Uncle's who passed away unexpectedly when I was in college.  The last time I'd seen him, he had helped me look for my first bow shot deer on this farm, which he was taking over for my Grandfather.  He had just gotten interested in hunting that season and then, out of nowhere he was taken from us.  I've worn those pants in many states and on many various hunting adventures.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
That is exactly where I wanted this thread to go Duckbutt. Fantastic stuff Brother!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
One of my all time fav pics.
Adam was 45 mins into his first big game hunt 2 weeks after his 12 th B'day.

In CA you havta' be 12 to get a Pig tag. Adam had worked out all summer so he could pull back the bow-a St. Charles T Bird.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »

My first from my grandpas old farm. Grandpa has been gone awhile and the farm is state land now.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Great stuff guys!  Awesome idea TJ!

My "Hero" Dave with his first hog.  I've been working together from the start with Dave and culminating in a harvest sure is sweet!

For those interested in the rest of Dave's story, I have it here on the blog.  Scroll to the bottom, the blog is in reverse chronological order.

http://strictlysticks.com/category/fresh-start/david-boesing/

Aloha!
Ryan

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
My last hunt with Ken Jr. 2005 in NE

He passed in 2008.

His last deer 2006 in NE.

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Yes Sir, those are special HERO pictures!

God bless.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Hands down Hero pics!! Great thread  :thumbsup:  

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Great thread!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Lets see some more.  :campfire:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Holy WOW! Powerful stuff!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your very special photos and memories.  Perfect thread.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Great idea TJ.  :thumbsup:  Looking forward to seeing more !!!

Bill

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I am really liking this thread...
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
The 2010 season was like a revival to me  when it came to my bowhunting.  It had been since 1997 since I took my last and only deer since taken up Traditional bowhunting. The below series of pictures were all taken the same day Oct 18, 2010.  The morning hunt was uneventful till walking out I meet this joker.

At that time had one those moments when you just know there was more in store for the day.  And then while walking out to my evening stand theres and old rail road tie bridge that crosses a small creek and I see this fellow.

Although we have plenty of Alligators in MS it was strange seeing this one on the property as the water we have is only small drainage creeks and most dry up during the summer.

After climbing in the stand and getting settle I was just overwhelmed with a feeling that tonight would lead to an encounter, but I wasn’t sure of what variety after the copperhead and alligator. At sundown and only enough light remaining to see out to about 15 yards I was needing to get down, but hung in a few extra minutes knowing something was about to take place. About that time I hear rustling leaves and see the shape or shapes of something moving my way.  It turns out it was 4 doe’s and they came right under the stand and then moved directly  in front of the stand for a 13 yard shot. I was able to make good and the curse was broken! Such an emotion came over me it was a reverend spiritual moment I’ll not soon forget.

Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
This is a very good thread.  I wish i could add to it but i havent harvested anything yet with my traditional bows.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
Great thread!   :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
After some prodding from my buddy I bought a Super Kodiak and practiced all sumer with it. I was shooing great but still didn't have confidence in hunting with it. I hunted the first week of season with my wheels and had a couple deer in the freezer before I took the Bear out. I hunted 2 days with it and had a few deer out of range before I went back to the wheels. A few days later I had a gut feeling to take it back out. I had a great stand set up but all was quiet until about 9am when a neighbor came through for a walk only 100 yards behind my stand. I knew my morning was over but knew my best friend wouldn't be back at the truck until 10:00. At 9:30 I looked up to see a HUGE bodied deer headed my way through the foliage. He stopped around 17 yards, scent checked the area and turned to leave(quartering away). I came to full draw and sent an arrow. I hit him just high and he went down. I quickly sent another arrow and my aim was true and he lay still. I had to sit down and started to laugh, smile and cry. I have never felt emotions like that while hunting. I could barely form a sentence when I met my buddy at the truck. Even more special is the fact that he and I shot the same deer at the same time for our first deer many years before. The buck weighed 250#'s and was 6.5 years old. Quite a deer for my first and only 3 days hunting with Traditional.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©