3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Special HERO shots!  (Read 964 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Special HERO shots!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
This deer was very special as well because it was my first with a longbow. I took it on a a piece of land that quite a few other guys hunted and the last day of the CT January season. No one had any luck getting near deer in the late season because the deer were in a bedding area well before daylight and impossible to approach. In mid January I went in and hung a stand right in the middle of it and waited a week or two. I came back the last day of season way before daylight. I even found a shed on the way in with my red headlamp. I knew it would be a good day. Before daybreak I heard deer moving around me. At sunrise I looked down and saw this young doe standing beneath me. I watched as she crashed just 30 yards or so from my stand, proving the shot was good. It was awesome to have a plan like that come together and to see the faces of the other bowhunters who ended the season with tag soup and had made fun of me for taking "that thing" into the woods after deer.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 02:51:00 AM »
This one is special to me.  Killed it last season... it's the first buck I've killed with a recurve after over a 40 year hiatus. Last season was my second year back and had my share of misses the year before.

Also killing it in my public land smokehouse..walking distance from where I live, makes it even more special.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Very good stuff guys!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Best hero thread to date!!!! Keep em coming folks!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Great stories....Great Pictures...  :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
This is my twin brother Donald, aka Nakohe.
This was a special hunt as I had just gotten him back into Traditional Archery after many years of absence. He killed this doe in Texas I think it was in 2003, on a hunt with me and I could not be prouder. But I think I created a monster,LOL he is so addicted to Trad Archery now,LOL.

"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
This is myself and my good friend Glenn "Smitty" Smith on his ranch this past November along with two other friends Eric Zuniga and our very own yononido from Austria. Smitty on the left, me, Eric, then Daniel aka yononido. This was a special hunt as it was the last time that I was able to visit with my dear friend Smitty's wife Cherry, she passed away after a long battle with cancer in January.

"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Here is my "hero" shot...

Traditional archery has always been more to me then just "archery". It goes well beyond just watching an arrow fly, all because of 1 man....

Back in 2008, Dad was in and out of the hosipital alot due to congestive heart failure. One afternoon I just happen to recieve my Black Widow Fall catalog in the mail, this gave me an idea.
 I grabbed it and brought it up to the hospital. I told Dad to pick out whatever he wanted. I didn't care if it was a longbow, or a Recurve. I didn't care what woods he picked or which grip he picked out . It wasn't about me, it was about me honoring a man who is responsible for the man I have become. I will hunt with it until I harvest a deer for him, with "his" bow. Wether it takes 1 year or 20, that bow would not leave my side during the hunting seasons until I honor that bow.
He had picked out a Osage PLX longbow. The next day I ordered it and Had them put his name on it under mine. I ordered it 58# because that is how long Mom and Dad have been married at the time. I had stayed up all night thinking about a dedication I can put on the bow for him. I had them put on "forever by my side in all the journeys I take".
A short time later I had recieved a call telling me that dad had started his journey home. I was there in his most vulnerable time while he made his journey home. We laid him to rest a week later. the next day I called Black widow putting his birthdate and the date he went home on the bow. 5 weeks later Dad's bow came. I took it to the cemetary and showed him. The first year I had some close calls, but was not able to close the deal. The second year, I had missed some shots. I went home dejected because I wanted this so badly. My wife had told me to relax, I wanted it so bad that I was putting to much pressure on myself. It will happen its just a matter of time.
A week later I was in the stand on a beautiful afternoon and I got presented with a shot on a doe, that to be quite honest with you, I got away with murder on the stand. I was fidgity, nervous, and if it was any other year without these circumstances, she would have bolted. I just felt that it was dads deer, a gift from him. Before I knew it, the arrow was in her side. After a short bloodtrail, I finally put my hands on Dad's deer....

Love you dad....
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
What great memoriess  :thumbsup:  very touching  :campfire:

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
This Thread is as good as it ever gets! All heartfelt and touching stories.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Lots of good stuff here...

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Sorry Dad's Log in  :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
This Thread was titled "Chris and I had a Good Weekend"
This was a special hunt for many reasons....which I will explain in detail....

I woke up Saturday not feeling great, but it was a good morning so I decided to go. Dad had to be at work kind of early, so I was on my own. I was going to hunt “The Skeeter Hole”, a stand over a salt lick that I had never hunted before. We had gotten over 100 pictures here in about a week and we knew the deer were coming to it good. It was one of the coldest mornings we’ve had this year. I got in my stand a good 20 minutes before shooting light, so I got everything set up. At about 7:30, I looked over my left shoulder and saw a small doe walking on a trail about 30 yards away. Suddenly, I felt a pretty strong gust of wind….blowing right to the deer. She stopped, pawed the ground, then blew several times and ran off.
I honestly didn’t have high hopes of seeing anything else after all that blowing, But about 20 minutes later, I heard something moving in front of me and then I saw them. There were 2 deer, a doe and a spike, walking right to my salt lick. They were coming right at me, so I knew I had better not move until they got there and relaxed. As soon as they got to the salt lick, both deer immediately put their heads in it. I eased up and got my bow off of my hanger. The spike wandered off and started feeding, but the doe was quartering away at 15 yards. I knew this was the best opportunity I would get, so I picked a spot, drew back to anchor, and released..........

For those of you that don't know the story of my Kwyk Styk...........

At the time of Chris' passing, we found out that Chris had a new Kwyk Styk ordered from Jack. While we were at Solana this year, Larry, Curt and Dad hatched a plan to let me take Chris's place in line for the new Bow. Larry called Jack from Solana and the plan was put in motion. I did not realize what was going on at first but when Curt let me Pheasant hunt with his Kwyk Styk, Cy, and then left it for me to shoot for a few months when they returned to New York, I started to suspect something was up. I had always been able to shoot Cy well and had my best day ever shooting and connecting with the Pheasants on the wing. I was also able to win the Twin Oaks Classic with Cy.

The Bow is wonderful....Jack built it with a "GURU" grip and the limb tips and Jacks "signature" Arrowhead are made from the Antlers of an 8 point buck that Chris took on Fort Benning.....I have a feeling that this Bow is gonna be in for a serious Ride. It's going to be Fun!
I want to thank Larry, Curt, Jack and Dad for making this happen.

So back to the story...

My arrow entered pretty far back..farther than I wanted. The first thing that entered my mind was "oh no...gut shot." The deer ran in a small loop and then it stopped and started walking very wobbly. It was about this time that I remembered that the deer was quartering away a good bit and I probably got the back of the lungs. She walked behind a tree about 30 yards in front of me and I heard the crash. I waited about 30 minutes before I climbed down...I don't think I could have gotten down any sooner because I was shaking so bad!  I nocked another arrow and walked to where I last saw the deer... There she was laying up in a pile of logs! It was a great day, and very special to me. I was using my Chris Kwyk Styk, Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows with some Chris arrow wraps, and one of Chris's VPA 1 1/4" 3 bladed broadheads that were sharpened with a Jewel Stick that Chris gave me.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Great stuff!   :campfire:

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Great Stuff. Thanks to all for posting.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
My brother David took this deer after hunting many years on the same property. I remember he was so happy this day taking a 5 1/2 year old buck that we were after. Mike

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »

The first deer I killed at ShrewHaven
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Great ideas for a thread Tom!  

Some excellent stuff here gentleman!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
My wife loves to bow  hunt. Every time she shoots something it is special.

Her first bow kill.

Her first whitetail.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I love this thread.  Much good medicine in this one.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©