3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Special HERO shots!  (Read 960 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Special HERO shots!
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
i knew I had this photo somewhere...

This is the first and only hunt which the four of us boys all got together to hunt elk.  We had done it for deer, and speed goats on occasional evenings, but not for elk.  That was usually just me and my dad, my brothers always having school or football or who knows what else they wanted to do it.  MY littlest brother is not pictured, he was just a tyke at the time.  I took this bull with my saluki Ibex, which my wife had given me as an anniversary present.  He came in so fast and suddenly that my brother and I hit the deck on top of each other.  Everyone was pinned to the ground, he caught everyone off guard.  We were all with in 5 yards of each other, laying on the ground!  Kevin and I are the only to who shoot stick bows, but it was his first hunt with a stick.  

So, when he came in we were all caught stuck to the ground laying low.  The wheelie boys had no shot.  But I was able to sneak an arrow out and shoot him wtihout getting off my belly, with all my brothers and dad so close they could hear me breathe!  what an experience.  Brings a tear to my eye.

You can see in the photo, this bull was close, I hit him from the gorund up at 6 yards or so, the exit wound was way high! thats called shooting them from the ground.  the wound channel is like a treestand shot in reverse.

I wish everyone wasn't so busy and would take the time to get out with Dad and I just once a year.
  Its not football anymore, now its school and their various important careers.

77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Awesome idea for a thread TJ.  Some of these are way above my league, but this place has provided me with memories I will never forget

My first turkey and my first trad harvest.  I was so excited to have done what was deemed "impossible" by all my hunting buddies.  I walked out of the woods that morning towards one of my trail cameras, hoping to get a pic for the scrapbook.  Turned out just like I wanted.  

It was only days later that I found this wonderful place called "Tradgang".

My first deer with a wood arrow made by my own hands.  I fletched it with goose feathers I collected, ground, and chopped myself.

My biggest buck to date with any archery equiptment.  I hunted hard and long through the rut and finally put it together in December.  The look on my face says it all.  I try to maintain some composure but its hard when you reach a milestone without compromising anything to reach it.

"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
I'm with you Tom, I've had 2 special occassions that come to mind right away.  Each left me with incredible memories.

This deer was taken the afternoon I buried my best friend and hunting partner.  The first time we ever hunted together, we hunted this property.  The night I shot the deer, I shot it from a tree he always preferred. I never hunted that tree in the 20 years we hunted together, until that afternoon.  Strange how life plays out.  The deer holds a special spot on the wall in my family room.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
I remember that thread Tim...it was a great Tribute to your Friend.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Number 2 would have to be that day in late January on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  My 12 year old son Tim had hunted all season with a longbow and he only had a few days left.  He had plenty of "almosts" all year but the shot had to be close or he wasn't going to shoot.  This doe came by just before dark and gave him a 12 yarder.  We searched for quite awhile before we found her in the river 30 yards off shore.  She didn't go far and the shot was perfect. We kept walking past her, never stopping to take a good look in the water.  

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
I remember seeing the pic of young Tim somewhere before. I also remember seeing the pride in OLD Tim's face. Great stuff.

There are ways to recover a wet deer without getting your pants wet too ya know.....
<----------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
One of my favorites...good friends, great hunt, and cool photo! Thanks Yohon for capturing the moment!

Link to Story   ;)  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=109459
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Adam and his 5x5

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Great one Bill !!!  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
That's a great one Bob.  One you'll look back on for a long time.  

All of these are really incredible......
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Bob wasn't that the pennisula deer? I remember that thread. You should edit your post and include the link to that one.

Awesome video Tracy! Heck the second shot's always harder than the first.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Edited as requested   :D
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »

My sons first hog!Even though it was a piglet this hunt i will never forget.He was so happy to get a hog before dad did.23yd shot with 45# Chiron long bow.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »

This is a pic of my Dad's first trad kill. This is very special to me because although my old man is a great hunter, he just doesn't seem to connect much. And when he does, no one is around to take a picture. I happened to get to watch the whole shot and everything unfold on this one. It is the only kill pic that me and my Dad are in. It's a very special pic. Thanks to my hero, my old man, who always put me first and took me hunting every chance he got  :clapper:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
The 2 loves of my life and my 1st trad deer from my 1st trad hunt.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Great idea for a thread TJ! Really love all the posts. Fun to see how many special trophies are does and small bucks. In a day and age increasingly overwhelmed by P&Y scores it is nice to see a bunch of like minded folks who appreciate the experieence regardless of any measurements!

This is a picture of my dad and I on the last hunt we ever went on together. Dad has been gone a little more than 2 years now. Dad taught me how to hunt and encouraged me but was never a bowhunter. This hunt was actually a rifle antelope hunt but I had an archery deer tag so I brought my bow along. I spotted this forkhorn mulie crossing the road ahead of us and stopped the pickup to see what he would do. He eventually got into a crick bottom about a half mile away and bedded down. I pulled the pickup over, gave my dad my bigger set of binos so he could watch and set off on the stalk. It ended up taking me a goood 45 minutes to an hour to close to 20 yards from the buck. I had no shot because he was bedded in some tall fireweed that obstructed his vitals plus he was quartering to me. I finally decided to push the envelope. I got all the way in to 5 yards when he jumped up to leave and I shot him at a whopping distance of 3 yards as he was attempting to escape! The deer went about 60 yards and expired. My dad got to see the whole thing through the binos! What a great experience and it gave him a chance to see what it was that I really love about bowhunting.
      This is a collage that a friend of mine made for me showing all of the pictures from that hunt. I gave this collage to my dad that Christmas. There wasn't a dry eye around the Christmas tree. I love to look at these pictures and remember all the good times we had hunting.

To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
This just keeps getting better!  :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »