3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another newbie help thread...  (Read 161 times)

Offline edge32617

• Trad Bowhunter
Another newbie help thread...
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I know this message comes up a few times a month, I've searched a lot of the old threads and got a good general idea of whats good...

I also have been stalking the classifieds pretty reguarly. Just been really taking my time before I pull the trigger on my first recurve.

As of now, my top choice is a Sage.... The only negative I don't know if I care for is the take down limbs... Kind of have mixed feelings about it.I would want mine in a #40-45 range, I beleive that would be enough for hunting right?

Can anyone with the sage give me the long term pros/cons of the bow?

Also, caan someone give me "most recent" thought/Opinion of what they think is the better bow for a starter around/under $175-$200 (no more then $200)

I have a very low budget and know I can't/won't get the best wiith it, but I'm just starting out...

Thanks and God Bless

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another newbie help thread...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
40-45 WILL BE FINE FOR WHITETAIL SIZED GAME.

Sorry for the all caps...at work and everything must be in caps.

Try local craigslist. My daughter got a near mint Bear Grizzly (Grayling type) for $100 with arrows and old school camo sleeves. She gave it to her fiance' this past Christmas.

Haven't had my hands on a Sage to try yet.

Good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline edge32617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
40-45 WILL BE FINE FOR WHIETAIL SIZED GAME.

Sorry for the all caps...at work and everything must be in caps.

Try local craigslist. My daughter got a near mint Bear Grizzly (Grayling type) for $100 with arrows and old school camo sleeves. She gave it to her fiance' this past Christmas.

Haven't had my hands on a Sage to try yet.

Good luck.
Thanks Bud,

I havn't actually thought of craislist...

If I do go to another site and purchased a used bow, what are some of the specific things I'm looking for to determine whether its in a descent condition?

Thanks

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
Finish. (Dings, gouges, cracks, splits - although vertical splits in fiberglass are not nearly as critical as horizontal cracks/splits - stay away from horizontal splits). Beat up can mean neglected.

Limb twist, although some limb twist can be corrected. Look for it, but it ain't a deal breaker.

Limb tips and string grooves. Look for damage and lamination separation.

Ask how it's been stored. Inside and dry is good. Hot attic not so good.

Search several ways with key words - recurve, arrows, bow (you'll get lots of hairbow hits), Bear, Grizzly, and so on.

What part of Florida are you in?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
I've bought some nice, older bows and some not so old bows right here in the classifieds for between $90-$300 and have been more than happy. A lot of great sellers around this place. You can re-sell for what you pay in most cases if you find you'd like a different grip, length, or whatever after gaining some experience...

Older Bears, can't go wrong! Just watch for the stuff Bud B. described, some great deals pop up all the time.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I bought a Sage in February based on all the good reviews about the bow and like many others, have been surprised and delighted with quality for $130.00.  It's the first take down bow I've ever owned and don't care for the hand screw limb bolts that came with the bow.  I'm planning to order some bezels and flat head bolts the next time I place an order with *********. I think they'll look better.

BUT, all that said, the bow is great.  I got 35# limbs but shoot at 40#s with my 30" DL.  I currently have Easton's Traditional Only 600 spine, full length arrows from 3Rivers and they shoot great.  Fly like darts.

Do order a good Fastflight Flemish twist string with the bow.  I would also be careful not to over-bow yourself.  It had been a long time since I had shot a recurve and I'm SO glad I didn't get any heavier limbs.  One nice thing about the Sage is you can easily upgrade the limbs if you want heavier ones for hunting after you get your form down.  Some days after shooting 75 arrows, I wished I had gotten 30# limbs.  Lighter is better for starters for sure.

Some people have complained about the finish quality on the Sage bows, but my bow finish is very good. The grip has gotten REALLY polished after shooting thousands of arrows.  Some people refinish their risers, but mine didn't need it.  I rarely take my bow apart, but it's handy to be able to do if you need to.

I've read numerous comments where experienced archers have stated that the Sage shoots as well as $400-$600 bows that they've owned and shot.  A great value for a recurve bow.

And most of all......have FUN!
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Welcome Jake. Some good recurve deals just this morning in the classifieds. 45# is a good weight. My experience; get a good job. Your first ain;t near done yet!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline edge32617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Wow, thanks guys for the awesome responses!

I have been stalking our classifieds for some time and have eyed quite a few. I've shot compound for about 4-5 years and loved it, all that time debated the original stick and string.

I'm not fond of purchasing a bow without trying it first, with that said I count a lot on peoples reviews online and this site.

Again thanks everyone for the awesome help and tips... I will keep you updated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©