3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First trip for my new Morrison ILF  (Read 319 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
First trip for my new Morrison ILF
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
I met up with Allan Devore(amar911)this evening for some shooting at a local range and to show him my new bow and some of the broadheads that I will be using for an upcoming hunt.  The bow has a 15" gen 3 ILF riser and carbon foam E longbow limbs for a 62" bow.  I have the bow cranked as high as I can and it scaled around 82# using the scale at the range at my draw length, which is a touch over 29" when I use correct form.  The reason that I had that qualifier is that I have developed some bad habits shooting by myself and was fortunate enough to have Allan there to help me get some better extension and get to my true draw length.  My shooting improved when I did, as well.  Allan still had my number, in that regard.  He shot the bow that he killed his buffalo with exceptionally well and was cranking out a draw length of 30", for some great zip on his arrows.  

When I got full extension on my draw, my bow was spitting out 900 grain arrows at around 175 fps. I reckon I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.

Here is how one of my groups tightened up after my lesson , but please bear in mind that they were not long shots and all of the groups didn't look like this.

Here are some pics of the bow as is came out of the box, assembled and at full draw, and a closer look at the riser.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Bob for making a fine bow and going way above and beyond what is expected to help me get this bow in time for me to use on my hunt.  He kept me informed every step of the way and it was very obvious from the beginning that my having the right equipment for the hunt was nearly as important to him as it was for me.  I will be a repeat customer.

I would also like to mention that the Camo Dipping was done by another one of the tradgang sponsers, Billy Shipp.  I really like the pattern that he used, but you will have to ask him what it is if you are interested because I can't remember.  He really stands behind his work and has lots of patterns to chose from, although I can't think of a better one for me than the one he helped me pick out.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First trip for my new Morrison ILF
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
Pat had some issues at first in failing to fully expand at full draw, but he was still shooting very well, despite slower speeds and less than optimal form. With just a little discussion about things he was in no position to see in his own form, Pat began getting the expansion he needed in his chest and the tightening between his shoulder blades. His draw got longer, his release got better, and his groups tightened tremendously, as shown in the photograph he posted. The buffalo in Oz are going to be in trouble in a few weeks when Pat gets there.

Pat's new Morrison bow is very nice, and he shoots it well. Pat also has a Shrew Safari that he shoots well, and it will be his backup bow, but he has tuned his arrows for the Morrison ILF. I was getting 160+ fps out of my 68# Super Shrew Samuri using the same weight arrows that Pat was shooting at 175 fps using his 82# Morrison ILF. With its forward handle deflexed riser design, the Shrew will tend to be slower than the less deflexed Morrison, even at the same poundage, so it was a little surprising to me that the Morrison only gained about 1 fps in velocity per additional pound. I'd say that speaks highly of the efficiency of my Shrew. Pat's Shrew Safari seemed to be less efficient than my Shrew Samurai and showed barely higher speeds with the same arrow weights, although Pat's Shrew is 11 pounds heavier in draw weight than mine.

I will be interested to see how my new Shrew Safari compares with my older Shrew Samurai. Individual bows can vary significantly in performance, even when they ought to be very similar. The Shrew Safari that my friend Doug Burns will be taking to Australia is very close in speed to my Samurai. The Safari versions have more phenolic and more mass, which can be good or not, depending on the circumstances. As a bow increases in poundage, it seems to need more mass to maintain its relative stability, but I do dislike carrying any more weight around than I need to. That said, the Morrison is much heavier than the Shrew Safari, but not as heavy as many other 3 piece bows.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:00 AM »
Looking forward to hearing some stories guys.  Great looking bow Pat.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
Looking forward to hearing some stories guys.  Great looking bow Pat.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Thanks Dave. Go hit those turkeys.  

Allan, we should have scaled your bow at 30".  It was really zipping it with that added draw length. Can't wait to see your koa safari.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
I like the way Billy makes his works and I would use his services myself if the shipping wouldn't be a issue from here.
The bow came out hunt ready for sure and it looks you are preparing for something serious,Pat.Good luck from another lefty.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Thanks, Felix.  Us lefties gotta stick together.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Could you please post what pattern that is.  I am ready to give Billy some business.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline monsterchelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Wish you the best on your hunt,  Nice bow too....
" Out of a mans heart, The issues of life flow"

Black Widow PSR-V
               47# @ 27
              Howard Hill Montana
               50# @ 27

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I really can't remember the name of the pattern and it wasn't listed on his site when I placed the order.  Something like lost creek deception or something.  Just give him a call and tell him it is the pattern that he used for me. He will know what pattern you are talking about.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Bow looks great...all my joints and bones hurt seeing a draw weight of #82!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Looks good Pat!
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
get into 'em Pat !!!! dats a buff whacker for sure eh !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Lookin good there Pat. By the groups you're shooting with it, I'd say some Aussie critters are in for some bad days......GOOD LUCK on the hunt.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Bob Morrison always seems to put the shelf on the right side of the bow [ thats were it belongs] LOL. As for Billy and his camo dipping he does nothing less than perfection. Looks like that bow is gone pack some punch for those Buffs. Can"t wait for those pics.     :thumbsup:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Keep at it. practice makes perfect.  aways nice to have someone to give ome useful advice!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Pat, Even after all the coaching you are still shooting with the wrong hand......Good luck and take pics.RC

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
Pat, Even after all the coaching you are still shooting with the wrong hand......Good luck and take pics.RC
I agree the shelf is on the wrong side of the bow.   :deadhorse:

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Heck, I wish I could shoot them on the other side.  It would be easier to find used bows.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 02:28:00 AM »
I think you shoot my right-handed 50+ pound bows pretty darn well, Pat.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©