3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gortex hiking boot recommendation  (Read 766 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Gortex hiking boot recommendation
« on: May 20, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Looking for everyone's recommendation for a 3 season, mid-weight hiking boot for early archery season.  My current boots are the Vasque Breeze (which are still made). I like them and I've got my miles out of them, but was totally unimpressed by their waterproof resistance.  I immediately sent the first pair back at the outdoor store's recommendation, as they suspected faulty stitching or construction. The second pair was no better and I can get wet feet from "heavy dew"! The weak link seems to be the nylon/mesh cuttouts in the uppers. I know this saves weight, but do all hiking boots with this popular design share the weakness? If so, I'm going back to all leather uppers.  Years ago I use to wear Dunham Continental Tyroleans.  I kept them slathered in mink oil/snowseal/pitch blend and they never leaked a drop until they literally wore off my feet!  I've got Lacrosse Granges (that are older than a lot of folks on the site) for the actual hunt, the hikers will just be worn for everything "in between".  Don't need warmth, bow season is mild in these parts and I've got a pair of bombproof Danner Frontiers w/1000 gr. Thinsulate for when the mercury disappears. I like the fit of the Asolo's, but they're a bit pricey.  Who loves your feet?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gortex hiking boot recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Last year I bought a pair of Wolverine Antelope with Gore-Tex Sent-Lok Uninsulated boots I used them for the early Elk season in September I hunted for 18 days hiking average of 5 to 7 miles per day and the boot were great, my feet never got wet or tired they are very light and seemed to hold up well.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Since you have a pair of Vasques I'll tell you about the all leather Vasque Taku's.  Uninsulated, waterproof through several stream crossings and morning wet grass, and very easy/comfortable to break in.  They were awesome for our elk hunt up until I had to pack loads out with them.  Just not enough support.  If you're not packing with them, then they'd be great.  FWIW, I'll only wear all leather hiking boots, but I nearly always wear gaiters with them because most often they'll get wet from the top down.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Ll bean crestas. I bought a pair last year and they have lifetime, no questions asked warranty. Very comfortabe and break in easily.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I suspect if you did an in-depth study on gore-tex boots you would discover that when they decide to leak, they leak! It can occur early or late in the life of boots with no real gaurantee that the most expensive ones won't. Think about the system, an inner "sock" of somewhat fragile, laminated material taped together and fixed inside of a boot. Then we subject it to the stress of our body weight plus packs, other gear and maybe game quarters while traveling up-hill, down-hill, side-hill etc... What could possibly go wrong?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I have had a pair of ASOLO gortex hikers for almost 10 years....they are getting a bit whipped now but they have been a great boot! Not sure if they still make them!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Meindl's Hanwags, Lowa, or US made Danners. I had a pair of Acadia's that I used exclusively for hunting, they leaked after 3 seasons(warranty long expired), sent them back to Danner, they sent me a new pair! Very good customer service! My Meindl Island Pro's have been going strong now for 5 years.
That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Add Kennetrek and Schnee's to Sinawalli's list of boots. There are other good ones too, but any of them can eventually leak, as some guys here have said. Trying to find a good pair of relatively inexpensive boots can be difficult. Part of what keeps the boot from leaking is a good fit on the foot and good fit and construction between the GoreTex liner sock and the leather boot. That takes good design, materials and workmanship, all of which cost money. As in most things, you get what you pay for.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
My favs are the Asolo TP 535-all leather non goretex and will keep your feet dry just the same, all the while breathing way better. The Lowa Renegade Goretex. I get both at REI on line; they require minimal break-in and give lots of support. The soles are softer and do wear out depending on how much use they will get. I get several pairs going at the same time.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I've got a pair of Meindls that I got at Cabelas 2 years ago that were worth every penny spent.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Have you ever shopped at Sierra Trading Post.Com? Watch for special sales on there. I did and that's where I got my Asolos. I also agree with Bjorn about the Lowa...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I wore a pair of Meindl hikers for 14 years. Had them re-soled twice. Was thinking about a 3rd re-sole, because they were still waterproof and comfortable. Seams were getting pretty sloppy, though, so I trashed them and bought a new pair. These are going on 4 years and the winter treads are now dragster slicks, but they're still waterproof. I find them extremely comfortable, although they do require a little break-in.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
If you have wide feet and don't jump on    this screaming deal on Lowa Renegade II GTX boots from REI , you're nuts. Is that plain enough?      ;)

I've owned three pair of Lowa boots and currently have two of them still. The first pair finally wore out because I wouldn't take them off my feet.

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Another vote for Meindl here. The pair of Meindl Sitkas I've worn the last 10 years are as waterproof as the day I bought them. The Sitkas are the uninsulated, and I believe they're 10" boots. They've taken a  beating every September in the mountains as well, and still hold out water. By far the most comfortable boot I've owned.
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Schnees granite
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Renegades! Got a pair on order.   :biglaugh:

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Meindl for me too. Had a pair for a LONG time.   BILL

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
I tried various gore-tex hikers until I found the Asolo GTX 520.  I have used them for the past 4 years on elk hunts and am very impressed with them.   They are sturdy and wet feet have not been a problem since I got them.  They are pricey but I have found that buying a new pair of boots every other year to replace worn out ones gets quite expensive as well.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
I really like Danner Boots, I have several pair of Acadia boots and a pair of Cabelas Elk Stalkers that are made by danner.  my feet never get wet in them, but they are a bit heavy

Offline muth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Meindl!  I have had a pair of the "Canadas" for about 15 years.  The sole is giving out.  Grouse hunting up north for hours and my feet felt great at the end of the day.  Great boots.

Meindl "Perfect hikers" are a nice all leather uninsulated boot.  I have had them for about 4 years and will get another pair when they wear out. Anytime I need to be on my feet all day I will wear these boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©