3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking boots?  (Read 299 times)

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking boots?
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Gidday guys I'm looking at upgrading my stalking boots. I have a pair of diving boots but after a day on the hill they reek really bad. I am looking at Rocky stalker boots. My question is has anyone tried these boots? What do you guys use for stalking?
Cheers
Richard MOOSE Flett

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking boots?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »
I'm trying out a pair of skeletoes this year. Just like going barefoot but without the pain. Have done some trail running in them and snuck up on the wife while she was reading on a recent camping trip (cruchy pine needles and no wind or noise) It sure was funny for a few seconds! All kidding aside they work great. I will carry them in my pack as they are not especialy warm and that may pose a problem in late Sept in mountains.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
I like the new balance minimus, are very lights, goods for trail running and flexibles with a minimus sole. Are not waterproof so you will need sealskinz or goretex socks for wet weather

Best regards from Spain

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
And sorry, not, not idea about the stalker boots

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
IMO

don't fall for it...Your feet are far more capable then you give them credit.  I have either been hunting in vibram five fingers or completely barefoot for several years now, with ZERO issues, outside of the learning curve.

As you can see here, this is some monster gnarly country, covering countless miles daily, in incredible comfort.

A $10 pair of sued leather soft sole moccasins would be better stalkers than the rockys, IMO.  

Another idea are a pair of these...

they are solid wool slipper, with a felt wool sole.  IF its real cold, add a wool sock.  These could be carried with you all day, waiting for you to put them on during 'go time'., oh and they only cost $10, and look great to boot!     :thumbsup:    

The best 'shoes' I have found that adhere to barefoot principles are    vivobarefoot   vivobarefoot.  When I am running on gravel for any serious duration, or while at work or being forced to wear shoes to a store, that's what I wear.

They are incredible shoes.  This company even make a leather 'boot', with a 4mm sole... with waterproof options in several shoes.

Just my two cents and good luck with your search.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »
Wow cheers guys im sure glad i wrote about this topic. Thanks again my brothers of the bow.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
The LL Bean main Boot  is a good one for me early season I like chuck Taylor converse.  The chucks are awsome for boating a canoeing too!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Here's a thread you might be interested in reading. I figure moccasins count as a stalking shoe.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=116294

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
You cant beat the LL Bean rubber bottom boot   :archer2:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Hey Moose, how are ya mate? I use my cross trainers, they are adidais I believe. A gym shoe with a half wat aggresive sole. Plus they are very light  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
I really don't know much about all the chopices thrown out there above, but the one thing I know is that I would NEVER buy another pair of Rockys. Every pair I have tried has fallen apart in no time.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Try the Maine Hunting Shoe by L.L. Bean. Leather top with rubber bottom.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Gidday Ryan hows things? Hey cheers again guys you have givin me alot of food for thought thankyou.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
I love trail running shoes for bowhunting with good weather because are lights, flexibles, good grip and enough protection to walk or run in the mountains. I use Salomon shoes and this ones

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I have a pair of moccasins. When I used them I got a lot of satisfaction because it made me feel "authentic". They were very quite. You could feel every stick under your feet. The down side was after I had them for a while they got extremely slick on the bottom.

When scentloc was relatively new I got a suit. I also got a pair of scentloc sneakers. The activated carbon has been spent for long time but the suit and the sneakers are from a garment stand point holding up okay.  The sneakers look just like a pair of Ked's High Tops that are camo, except the sole is slightly different. I really like these.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Russel Stalkers. (moccassins)
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
I use moose hide crepe soled moccasins from the Ely, Mn mukluk maker. They are very soft and have good grip on slippery leaves and rocks.
 http://www.mukluks.com/

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Bean boots for flat ground early season.  Do not work in steep terrain.  Ihave not tried a lot of the others, as these have worked 40 years, from AK to NC to CA to AZ and NV
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I have a problem my feet are U.S size 15 UK 48, 49 help lol

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
31.5 cm long my feet are. Mmmm

Users currently browsing this topic: