3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Get off the couch!!!  (Read 458 times)

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Get off the couch!!!
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
I've been meaning to put this up for a while now, and with the recent heart attack that Uncle Barry suffered, it is time.

We, the hunting brethren, are probably the ones with the greatest opportunity and drive to be healthy, but if you look at us, we are not.  After manning a booth at various outdoor shows for over a decade, I can attest to the growing girth of our population.  Almost everyone who passes looks like a meatball with feet, and tiny T-Rex arms.

I am not one to run and hide, and myself am a bit overweight, but some of us are a biscuit away from being next to Barry in the hospital.  I am the ONLY one from our hunting group who has not had a heart procdure or joint surgery.  Not bragging, just the facts.  I want them and all of you to be around for your friends, your family, and most importantly to create more of those memories to cherish for years to come.  Stop being selfish and thinking you are not prone to dying, we die a little each day.  How many days until you really do die, that cannot be determined, but you can help.

Take a walk with your dog, your wife, your kids, your hunting buddy, or by yourself.  Just start.  It's never too late to take that first step.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Get off the couch!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Amen Al. Take some handweights on your walk. Take a pack & some binoculars to stop & look around awhile. Walk brisk & have fun.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
Right on.  

Ever since I found I had a pretty aggressive type of diabetes, I have been forced to remain active.  Regular exercise and losing weight have not only improved my condition, but I also feel better all around.  

It makes me a little better-prepared to take care of myself in the woods, too.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
A wise trainer once told me "You can't out train a poor diet". Exercise is important but when you go to the grocery store you should leave everything there that will not improve  your health. Salt, sugar, fats....leave them at the store. Don't bring anything home that will hurt you. If you eat right and exercise a lot will change. If you don't eat right change will be minimal.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Amen Brothers!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
best thing I ever did was start skipping a meal or two a day. You do not need to constantly have something in your mouth. This day and age, people are terrified of getting just the slight bit hungry. I have taught myself to love being hungry. My food tastes so much better when hungry as compared to when I am basically foundered.

Skip a meal per day and slowly become lean and hungry like a real predator.

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
GREAT!    But what about those with limiting factors that can't exercise?  

I started a program based on carbs, or lack of, two weeks ago.  I have a desk job or travel in an automobile to another desk job at another location.  After a 15 - 16 hour day I am beat and exercise has slowly slipped away.  This demdanding economy and more with less, as well as limited other opportunities has forced a different way to do work.

I started the Ideal Protein diet two weeks ago.  I have dropped 13 pounds in the two weeks and feel so much better.  Next thing, you are NOT allowed to exercise hard on this diet.  Your body is busy burnng fat and they do not want you to tear down muscle. On this diet, you do not get hungry, you eat. It reduces fat to very little and takes out sugar.  You have that fuel stored in the way of fat,so your body goes after it for consumption.

Bill Carlsen said it correctly, taylor your diet to health.  This diet chemically forces your internal engine to burn the fuel that has been stored.

Need more convincing, read the book Wheat Belly by William Davis, M.D.  This is a lifestyle for the future. It is outstanding for diabetics.

NOW, what does this have to do with the original post.  Some folks are carrying so much weight they struggle to move to work out. This diet/lifestyle can get you moving in that direction.  Or due to a disability, some can't work out.  This can help in this area also.

I have friends that have lost 60 -70 + pounds just following the diet.   Men lose 4 - 7 pounds per week, and women 3 - 5 pounds to week.  

I am starting a small workout program again and by July 15 (my goal) I think I will be close.  

My plan is to climb a tree like a cat squirrel this fall as opposed to carrying that 50# sack of feed that has been hanging on my body, gradually building year after year.

Diet and exercise. NO, the right diet and exercise.

PM me if you are interested in this program.  It works.  You can lower your A1C, reduce your blood pressure, get off the statins, heck even tie your shoes!!! Get rid of the velcro.  ( I wasn't that bad, just an example.)

From now own, forcing time for the exercise and of course, I now have combed through and have a good handle on diet.

GREAT POST!  

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
watching what you eat and a little exercise will go a long way!!!!!

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Yep, it doesn't take much activity to make a big difference.  Just remember, you can't outrun a doughnut.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
In the words of Mr. Tred Barta, "do the work.". Most things that are worthwhile require some work, and staying/getting healthy is definitely worthwhile.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
My kid is a cardiac extreme condition nurse--he and his wife run daily=he sees the result of NOT exercising daily.. Get better Mr Wensel.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
If I ate only the vegetable I grow, and the meat I harvest, that's be a good program! I like to stump shoot and still hunt small game, just to be on my feet and not in a stand so much.
Jim

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Eat to live... don't live to eat!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Im ready to try something. Fast food and sweets are killing me. Its almost like Im addicted. I have a bum left knee and walking much is very painful. (arthritis) Sending you a PM trapper. thx
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
People interested enough to read and participate in this thread would probably find a video on youtube called       VERY informative as well.

Speaking of, I'm off for my 30 minutes!
Thom

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Never be disapointed in yourself again.

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Good one Mike!

My pastor has said, "Purposes without accountability usually wind up as good intentions."  

The point is that if you make yourself accountable to a friend you are much more likely to keep the commitment and stay with the weight loss/fitness program, or whatever.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©