3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Get off the couch!!!  (Read 457 times)

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Get off the couch!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
This will work, in addition to excercise, limit your carb intake to 45 grams for breakfast and lunch, 60 at dinner and another 45 for a snack. It is not quick fix diet and lose a bunch of weight then put it back on thing. You will drop pounds. I know I did. And remember NO Cheatin'.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Now that is just to funny Mike   :laughing:  

But seriously we all need to take better care of ourselves.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Love to hike, don't like pop, and not much of a sweet eater...so I have part of it whipped! My son and I are gonna start running when he's out of school for the summer. Never been much of a couch tater!

Good thread!

Jason

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
BOHO, PM sent.  Good luck.
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Good one Mike!
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Good for you Billy, wish you the best!

This is a funny title, just 3 hours ago I was out walking in neighborhood, and thought "hey..whats the name of that couch to 5k app I heard about?".

2 min later I downloaded it to my iphone in hand, and hit the start button, and then proceeded to complete first day week 1.  Yay!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the wake up call!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
My blood pressure was 185 over 135 just 4-6 months ago. I lost 35 pounds and now it is only 111 over 70.

25 more pounds to get rid of in order to be at a really healthy weight. Get after it fellas!

If you can't shoot it, pick it or dig it up...don't eat it! Nature gives us what we need, not factories where they manufacture food! 35 pounds proves it!

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 01:45:00 AM »
"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the street"

Traditional archery and bowhunting requires training. as the poster said, go to any 3D shoot, or look at the pictures on the trad gathering forum, and all you see are fat, out of shape shooters. Maybe that is why everyone seems to be on the "what is the least poundage bow i can shoot to kill something trend". some places to start:whatever you do, workout, do something or you will be shooting a rifle in your old age.

www.crossfit.com
 www.rosstraining.com
 www.sealfit.com
 www.tmuscle.com
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
Anyone can do something.  A big "A ha" moment came while watching The Biggest Loser 2 seasons ago.  There was a contestant whose name was Moses.  He was 45 or so, and obese.  He could not run, jog, or do anything in the gym with the others because he was in such bad shape.  He did not give up or throw a pity party for himself.  He laid in bed and punched the air...for 6 hours a day, everyday, until he could walk, then jog, then run, and get into the gym with the rest.  That guy, as the others, transformed himself.  The medical work-ups pre-show and post-show are astonishing.

Just do whatever you can, not just for you, but for your family and friends.  Don't make them cry over your body in a box!!
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »
Sugar is a killer.
When you drink a can of pop, your body is "scrambling" to handle that big sugar whomp. I haven't touched a can of pop in a year since I found that out. Cut out as much sugar and carbs as you can, ramp up your protein intake and get some exercise. Incredible results happen.
It ruins the grocery shopping because you're always reading labels, but in a few weeks of way less sugar, you'll feel better. Also "graze" with your eating. Eat 5 or 6 small meals all day so you don't get too hungry. Cheat every now and then for a treat, but stay the course.
Worked for me.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
I have to disagree with the 5-6 small meals per day recommendation. I've used it many times to gain weight but never lose. I always found that it made me hungrier, rather than less. I think this is due to the fact that it keeps your blood sugar constantly high. The food industry wants to promote keeping constant blood sugar levels as healthy, but they fail to tell you in the long term it promotes diabetes. Also, its takes to much preparation and time, which everyone seems to limited with since they can't get out for a 30 minute walk. One can always say just use a protein shake or protein bar for a quick snack, but these just provide extra calories for someone that does not need them. Plus, thats extra money spent on something not needed, and they are expensive at that.

I think 2-3 meals per day is more than sufficient to fuel most peoples activities. Obviously, if you are overweight you aren't that active to begin with since your food intake is trumping your caloric burn. Base a simple eating plan on lean proteins, healthy fats, plenty of veggies and berries, and limited amounts of carbs.

Something simple like this wiould fit the bill for most everyone.

Breakfast-
2-3 eggs
4-6oz of lean meat
Coffee with half and half with a teaspoon of coconut oil.

Lunch-(optional)
1-2 cups of cottage cheese w/ blue or black berries
handful of almonds

Dinner
Chicken, Beef, Wildgame or Fish
1-2 serving of cooked veggies
large salad
**baked potato, rice, or oats if one has lifted weights hard**
1 Tablespoon of Cod liver oil

Do the above and simply get out and walk as soon as you get home from work for 30-45 minutes and it will amaze you.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
It's a war ladies and gentlemen. Fight the Fat!
Semper Fidelis

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I started a high protein eating program about 8 months ago and combined it with a regular workout routine and have dropped my bp from being borderline hypertensive to 110/70 with a pulse of around 60bpm.  The best thing I did was to purchased a used Bowflex and I use it 3-6 times a week for an hour or so. I look forward to the workouts and feel great afterwards. Muscle is like a motor in that it requires fuel to run, fat is fuel for muscle.  By eating   correctly and building fat burning muscle at the same time I have found that my health has improved drastically.  I've lost some extra weight and have gained strength at the same time.  It takes work and dedication but is well worth it.  As we get older, I'm 63, it becomes all the more important.  This is a good thread and I'm glad it was started.

Offline yankeevol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
Sugar is a killer.
When you drink a can of pop, your body is "scrambling" to handle that big sugar whomp. I haven't touched a can of pop in a year since I found that out. Cut out as much sugar and carbs as you can, ramp up your protein intake and get some exercise.
You nailed it. This is exactly my dietary strategy and I swim 3 times a week. Not trying to prolong my life, simply improve my quality of life, i.e. be able to bowhunt into my 80s.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
Never be disapointed in yourself again.

This just priceless but true.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
One of the things many don't understand is that not eating can add weight. What happens is that your body metabolism slows down when it is not burning calories from food intake. If you eat protein with the 5-6 small meals a day  you will not be hungry and the body's metabolism is activated to burn the protein. I lost ten pounds and was eating more simply by replacing carbs with protein, eliminating simple carbs with complex carbs but even limiting them, eating more veggies, making sure each meal contained protein, and I just don't eat what is not good for me. If everyone stopped eating processed foods and did nothing else the results would be amazing. Fats, salt, carbs and sugar are killers. Veggies, lean meats, more protein, "colorful" meals, fruits, and the right complex carbs are the key as is portion control. It may cost a little more to eat correctly but down the road the medical bills you will never see will make it worthwhile.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Yeah when you don't eat that often your body thinks its starving itself.  So the food that you do consume is stored as fat instead of being burned off.  Like Mr. Carlsen said it more colorful foods and you'll be happier.  It's a touch more money but well worth it.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Don't be so sure about that starvation myth stuff and about your metabolism slowing down. Read and decide for yourself. There is new studies daily that's debunking all the diet myths. In the end its about calories in vs. calories out. Like I said, each to his own. Less meals works much better for me.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/three-meals-superior-for-appetite.html

http://www.leangains.com/2011/01/better-blood-glucose-with-lower-meal.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html?_r=1&src=sch&pagewanted=all

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©