3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: canoes and bows  (Read 1180 times)

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
canoes and bows
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Anybody here go out in a canoe with their bow? I used to bow fish on the local river with mine. But my canoe is gone now.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: canoes and bows
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
From a story in BOWHUNTER mag a few years ago.  BIG CITY BOWFISHUNG.  Also use a smaller canoe for bowhunting ducks.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Louisiana has a narrow corridor between a bayou and Interstate 49.Not wanting for stray bullets to kill the travelers they made it a bow only reserve for hogs and deer.I took a very hot August trip with my two nephews to scout and in January I made a solo overnite camping and hunting trip.Plenty of sign but no shot but I will be back.

Hot and tired.

Camping and hunting.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
This one look perfect for bowfishing  http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I just recently got a Kayak and can tell you its gonna be fun. One of my honey holes is a little over two miles from the road. I can drive to the otherside of the river and cross with the yak and walk 200 yards.RC

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Love those pictures Ron!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Great pictures guys!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Here are a few other scounting trip pics.These cypress trees were cut maybe 75-100 years ago.It is an 8' paddle with about two feet past the paddle.We saw many like this.If this bayou could talk.

Frog took a ride.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I shot my first deer with a bow out of canoe, it was with a wheelie bow, but I would not hesitate to shoot my shorter bows kneeling in the canoe.  I have used a small kayak, but I don't think I could have brought out any game bigger than a turkey in it (here in Maine we have to bring out the whole deer, can't quarter it).
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
I much prefer a canoe to a kayak, especially for hunting.  Can you imagine Ron trying to take out his deer using a kayak?  I have duck hunted many times from a canoe, usually with a retriever-try that in a kayak.  Getting into and out of a canoe is also much easier.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Ils son par tie. Dig canoes! Evidently Ron too. Always cool pix Ron especially the birch bark.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Canoe or kayak they are both great ways to get to less hunted areas undetected.Canoe seems like it would definately be easier to get an animal out of the woods.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Moose.

"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »

A great tool to futher expand the experience. I would like to get a Kayak, I think it would be more effecient (faster). Although in my canoe I have a lone wolf climber, and other gear, great for extra room.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Great picts!  I have not canoed back to my favorite spot.  This is getting me fired up to scout it a bit and get ready for Oct..  Keep em coming!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Love to hunt from canoes.  Do a lot of duck jump shooting from canoes.  Also use them to get into  hard to reach bow hunting areas.  Used one to get a deer out a few years ago.  I build and use wood and canvas canoes.  Nothing better, IMO.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
At present this Native Ultimate 12 is my go-to paddler, but have and had other kayaks and pirogues.

Hey Kip, nice pics!

Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
The end of an adventure

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©