3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: canoes and bows  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: canoes and bows
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Here is the Kay-Noe bench seat:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa204/lakota222/IMG_20120605_150202.jpg

******no pix wider than 640 pixels please********

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Here is a close up of the mounting bracket. I bought the longest lowering kit I could find and I still didnt think the seat was low enough so I retained the original metal brackets that the factory plastic seat was mounted to. With the seat lowering kit the original mounting brackets let me get it lowered a few more inches.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa204/lakota222/IMG_20120605_150214.jpg

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
And here it is with the seat backer attached. This is a very comfortable seat and when you get to where you are going it doubles as a ground level chair. I also have a few fishing modifications but those arent archery related. PM me if you are interested in seeing them.
  http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa204/lakota222/IMG_20120605_150307.jpg

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
This past Saturday...my son Cade...
•  
•  
•  
•  
•  
•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Thanks Scott

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Cade's DA MAN!!!!!!!!!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Scott357, thanks for the pics, looks like you found something that works well for you.  I took the entire plastic seat off mine, including the metal brackets.  Aside from not liking the design, it just seemed like it used too much room.  Although sitting is definately more comfortable, I mostly like to kneel for better paddle control so am thinking of how best to set up for that.  Probably some type of knee pad and butt cushion arangement, with my back against the thwart (a piece of pipe insulation will go over that).  Will need to experiment a bit.

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
With that plastic seat in the Kay-Noe I always felt like my butt was going to slip off of it and wind up on the floor of the canoe and who knows if that would be enough cause me to dump the canoe and lose a bunch of gear? I dumped my old Coleman canoe in December years ago and even though it was only in water slightly higher than my waist it was a very "eye opening" experience!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
lots of trade offs....lightweight usually means short length (hard to track straight) or loss of durability for the occasional gravel bar or hidden stump in low water.  My 166 Bell Northwind is inthe 65# range if remember right...which can be a little tiring on a long portage but the durability is worth it...and the bottom does not oil can with every ripple or brush with the bottom in shallow spots.
It is royalex but is very quiet though if I solo the wind can grab bow a little .....but canoes are the ultimate sport utility of the big woods and coastal flats.
that being said I plan on getting a fishing kayak for solo journeys but otherwise the canoe is my favorite all around vehicle in swamps, rivers, tidal creeks, etc...

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I use a 17-1/2 wood and canvas canoe. It weights 74 pounds. They are alot tougher than you think and paddles like a dream. Noise is not a factor like you might find in a fiberglass or aluminum boat. It's about 34 inches wide and very stable.

Never figured out how much it will carry but plenty adequate for two guy's and all the gear that's needed for a week out and about.

If you've never paddled a wood and canvas canoe, give yourself a treat and try one. they will make you a believer.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
This picture was taken about 40 years ago. It's me and my youngest Son the year I taught him how to trap. The canoe that we used to run our water line was a 15 ft. cedar strip with a carrying yoke and NO seats. We had to kneel in the bottom of the boat. It seemed a very natural method to handle a canoe but a little hard on the knees at times. It was better when we knelt on boat cushions.  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I see a lot of folks from my neck of the woods on this thread so I'll chip in. I have a Wenonah Adirondack - royalex. Very happy with it, and very glad I chose it over the Native and WS Commander. It will haul a lot of stuff and I do a lot of overnight camping in it as well as fishing. Quietest paddle boat I've ever used.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Guru,
 "LittleMan" Cade just sprung up a few feet since I last seen posts of him...That fella is growing like a Weed Curt! He's now a young man from what I see...  :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
Thanx buddy, Yes he is growing quickly...but he's still only 11yrs. old and one of the shortest kids in his class.

He'll be 12 the day before our fall turkey and deer season this year and bowhunting for both this fall for the first time.

I don't know who's more excited about it...me or him!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I look forward to some canoe/kayak tales on trad gang as deer season comes in. I also look forward to the tales of Curt and Cade.They gonna be good.RC

Offline gio tundo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Anyone have any new pics to add to this old thread?

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by tarponnut:
I have a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 kayak.
They are unique in that there are no decks fore and aft, so there is plenty of room for gear or a deer/hog. They are very stable and track well.   http://nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=5  
I recently bought this kayak late this Fall.  My intention was to use it for hunting as well as for fishing.  Unfortunately I didn't get it out for hunting this year yet but I definately will next season.  I did add a removeable spray skirt for the fore area on mine to help keep the legs a bit dryer and warmer.

Offline gio tundo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Took my canoe out twice but with the smoke pole so can't post pics. Made me think of this topic.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »

I have used a canoe to retrieve a deer or two, but have never hunted out of one.  This picture is a few years old.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
More a bateau than a canoe, but it was for getting to a great spot.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©