3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Shots with Shrew Safari  (Read 301 times)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
First Shots with Shrew Safari
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
I got my new Shrew Safari today and opened it up at work to admire another gorgeous object created by Gregg Coffey through an adaptation of Ron LaClair's original Super Shrew design. The bow looks as deadly as it is beautiful, and I'm here to tell you -- IT IS!!!

As soon as I got the bow home and had dinner, I took it out for a quick shooting session shortly before day's end. The light was fading quickly, so I "warmed up" by shooting five arrows from the Classic Hunter that Gregg built me using the same board of Koa as the one he used for the Shrew Safari. My shots from the 53 pound Classic Hunter were fine, but I was just trying to loosen up my body for the much heavier weight of the 70 pound Safari model. I pulled the five arrows from the target, then picked up the Safari, nocked an arrow, drew the bow and sent the first arrow ever shot from the Safari toward my target sitting 18 yards away. Here is what happened:

I was incredibly impressed by the stability and accuracy of the bow, but not surprised, since I have been shooting Shrews for years. The heavy 850 grain arrow hit the target with authority and almost penetrated to the back of the bag target, which is quite a feat. I retrieved a camera to document the shot, and before thinking about photographing the bow with the first arrow, I pulled the arrow out of the target. Damn it! So I shot a second arrow so I could have it in the target when I photographed my new Shrew Safari. I decided to also photograph its older, but smaller brother, the Koa Classic Hunter. (Sorry for the not-so-great picture. I had to use a flash because daylight was just about gone.)

My second shot wasn't quite as good as the first, but not a lot worse (I was aiming at the center bulls-eye both times). Most of my other shots with the Safari were similar to the ones pictured -- until I started to fatigue, that is. If I do my part, this bow and arrow combination will take care of an Asiatic buffalo. I hope not to do much damage (preferably none) to this lovely bow while hunting in the Outback, but I know it is tough as nails, despite its beauty. I will take it to the range soon to see how its speed compares with my Super Shrew Samurai that I used on my buffalo last year. I expect them to be fairly comparable since they are within two pounds of one another and are both Super Shrews. Even though the Safari model is much prettier than the Samurai, the Safari has considerably stronger construction because of the materials used, and it is built to take just about any abuse that might ordinarily be encountered.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Shots with Shrew Safari
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
Very nice Allen! Good luck on your hunt, can't wait to see the pics and read the tales  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
awesome, make sure to take pics of the hunt, and report!

and when you are done with that bow, I would love to have a shrew in that weight!  what a bow that is.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »
Go get 'um Allan!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »
Allan I saw the beauty of your Safari in the pics Ron posted on another thread,now the pics of the shooting,great hunting machine you have there.For sure 70# make the difference you need for those critters and they are good for practice so when you use a lighter weight bow it comes up like butter.  :thumbsup:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Allan,
Like you said, I'm not surprised by the outcome. The grip makes these bows so consistent.  Good luck with your training. July's going to be here before we know it.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

I'll be at the 3-D range today with fellow Shrewhaven chef Greg Nicolaou (he's the real chef of the outfit-but he trained me).  He favors his Super Shrew Scout recurve in a 58" length and I'll be shooting my 60" Super Shrew.  Of course there's always a good natured competition.  ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Very nice!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
Excellent! You can't beat the combo of Sir Ron and Greg some of the finest craftsman and gentlemen in the buisness.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Great shooting, Allan. When do you want to head to the range?  I need another lesson, lol.

P.S.  Your pm box is full

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Allen,

That is what traditional is all about...a beautiful, well crafted, bow and the anticipation of  the hunt. Then we carry the memories of all the people who have been a part of making it happen and of course the animals we encounter and the hunt itself.

Your posts are a reminder to us all of how blessed we are.

Thanks,
Lyle
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Very nice!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Looks like you will be ready!!  I believe in the scattergun world those would be a matched pair.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Congrats on your new bow Allan!!  It is amazing and I know you'll put it to good use!    :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
nice shootin

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Allan, I told you that bow had plenty of Mojo built into it...     :readit:    That first shot is a SIGN......    

:archer2:        

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Buffaloes beware!
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Great Stuff Allan !!! I will be getting mine shortly.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Tom,

Make sure and post some pictures with comments about the bow when you get it. What are the specs of you bow and what do you plan to hunt with it?

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Great bow Allan. I am thinking about ordering a Shrew Gold.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I have a couple of the Shrew Gold bows, Donald. You would love one. No one does Osage better than Gregg.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©