3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heading to Ray's for some Memorial Day pork!  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Heading to Ray's for some Memorial Day pork!
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
I went to Ray's in January and had a ball. I had to go again to hunt that beautiful Cyprus swamp and couldn't wait until next year to do it. I will be leaving tonight.

I hope to see some alligators and snakes this time, not to mention the hogs. I live in the Jersey Pinelands and we have tons of chiggers and ticks, so I will be right at home in the swamp.

Has anyone gone recently? If so how did you do.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heading to Ray's for some Memorial Day pork!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Best of luck Gil.  Hey did you say snakes?  Get you some nice bow backing while there.  Have a safe and enjoyable trip.  Be looking for the stories and pictures.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Good luck! Take lots of pictures and keep us posted with all the details when you get back.

Dan

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Rays as good as gold!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Fun is a given on a trip to Rays.  Check out those burns.  Should be lots of green goodies poking up.  There are also some hidden wallows in there that could be gold mines.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
It is suppoosed to be HOT so check the drainages and cool wet lounging /rest areas.....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks I am leaving in a few hours. I know I will have fun and hopefully see an alligator and bring some pork back this time. I am going to make this a yearly event.

I will let you know how I do.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Good luck Gil...enjoy the hunt.  Bring leggins as Ray tells everyone...."There's no snakes....hogs eat them..."  LOL
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Good luck to ya, sounds like a great place.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »
You are coming THIS weekend?????????

Just kidding!

:biglaugh:  

See you later today!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
Oh that's funny Ray, looks like it's going to be another one of "those weekends"    :laughing:  

I love hot weather pig hunting, hope you get out there and do some killin!
Thom

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
How did the hunt go?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Gil tell us about the hunt!

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
:campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I have never been more disappointed in all my life! More will come.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Here is why I was disappointed at Ray's this weekend and in southern men in general! I always thought you southern guys were tough and could live off the land. You know the song, ‘A Southern Boy Can Survive”.  Not after what I saw this weekend. I went to Ray’s in January 2012 and couldn't wait to get back to the cypress "SWAMP", as you southern gentleman call it.

I live in the Jersey Pinelands. I have been in northern swamps often and have two that surround my farm. One is behind my farm and another is across the street on state land. The northern swamps are bug infested, snake infested, wet tangles of brush you have to fight to get through.

We have bugs called Jersey Bombers. You can hear them coming like a bomber squadron through the woods. The Pinelands are home to many fine military bases. It is rumored that they recorded the sound of the Jersey Bombers and used it in WWII to fool the enemy when there were only two or three bombers on a mission. The enemy was confused by the sound played by the bombers since they thought it was a squadron of hundreds. We also have chiggers and ticks, which infest our backyards, fields, woods and swamps. When these chiggers or ticks bite you feel it for months (that is true).  

Ray said to make sure I had a Thermocell and Permanan. I had a Thermocell I never used and bought for my trip a year ago that I had to cancel at Ray’s. I lent it to a friend for a fishing trip and couldn’t find it after he gave it back (he didn’t use it either). I went and bought a new one before I left.

They have a new model now that was $29.99. Naturally they don’t include the holster and don’t have a belt clip on it, so there goes another $19.99 for the holster. Then since there was probably going to be Yankee killing swamp bugs, I had to buy a refill pack, yep another $19.99.  Then since the chiggers and ticks were supposed to be bad I bought two cans of Duranon $9.99 each for 3 day hunt. That is a total of $90.00 to protect me from the bad bugs in a South Carolina “SWAMP”.

I also had to bring some Woodford Reserve, since Ray said that was only thing that can sooth the savage “SWAMP” bug bites.

I listened to everyone that said it is best to go in January through March to be beat the bugs, heat and humidity. I fell in love with the cypress “SWAMP” and I thought I wanted to really experience it in the heat, humidity and experience the snakes and bugs, so I re-booked for Memorial Day weekend.    

I said the following in my first post.

“I hope to see some alligators and snakes this time, not to mention the hogs. I live in the Jersey Pinelands and we have tons of chiggers and ticks, so I will be right at home in the swamp.”

Now that the stage is set, here is the story.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
:campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
The first evening.

I arrived in Estill around 3:30 PM and stopped at Whiggen's Hardware for my license. I fell asleep outside with the car windows open and the gnats killed me. I thought I was going to be in trouble in that “SWAMP”.

Ray arrived early and we headed to Andrew's (the property owner) house. Andrew invited us in and showed me his African trophies. He had gone on 9 African Safaris and had many trophies. He not only showed us around but invited to stay at his home if we didn't want to go to camp that night (genuine southern hospitality).

We wanted to head to camp since it doesn't get dark until late down there and would give us some hunting time. We stopped at Lester's Barbeque for dinner on the way. Ray made sure he ate lots of his favorite musical vegetables. Mike Mitchum (Squirrel Bait) was going to meet us 5:00 AM (Ha!) in the morning and hunt with us.

I was the only hunter in camp due to Ray trying to scare people away with the heat, humidity, "SWAMP", bugs and alligator stories! I got his number in January when I was down there so I took those stories with a grain of salt.

Ray and I headed out to hunt. We still had about 3 hours of daylight left. While still hunting around the short pines that night I saw four deer, two armadillos and a cottontail.

Ray and I hunted into each other. On the way, one of us spotted a big boar in a slough. That hunter missed high and cut hair. Then he ran into 3 more sows that exploded like a covey of quail. I won't mention any names. After that area was disturbed a little (uh huh) I headed on around the triangle field. I had a small pig walk up to me at 3 yards and I let it go.

When I got back to camp Ray and I discussed the evening. I said there were NO BUGs! I asked if it was the Thermocell or if there were really any bugs down there. Ray continued with his story that it was the Thermocell. Another attempt at trying to cover up what really goes on between April and September.

Ray felt I must have been hallucinating about there being no bugs from my long ride and recommended I drink some Woodford reserve, just in case one of those Yankee eating poison bugs got me.

We headed off to bed to get a early start the next morning.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Did ya get some of Bobops famous fried chicken?

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
:campfire:   This sounds like it is gonna be good before it is over!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©