3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heading to Ray's for some Memorial Day pork!  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heading to Ray's for some Memorial Day pork!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Amazing story telling!   :thumbsup:    :coffee:    

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Friday was my first full day of hunting. Here is what happened in the morning.

We got up early and Ray made coffee and biscuits with gravy. We ate, made our game plan and looked all over for Mike, who was supposed be there at 5:00 AM. No Mike.

Ray knew I loved the cypress "SWAMP" so the plan was I would take the right fork of turkey foot (an intersection where two roads intersect at angles that resemble a turkey track) and still hunt to a feeder at the end of the first road that intersected the right fork. Then I would still hunt into the "SWAMP" past the feeder and keep the palmettos to my left. I will tell you in a few minutes why I keep writing "SWAMP".

Oh I almost forgot, I made sure my $90 South Carolina “SWAMP” bug protection was fired up and sprayed on before I headed out.

I got to the right fork of turkey foot and still hunted down the road. I heard a turkey behind me and on the other side of the road. As I still hunted I came up to a coyote keying in on the turkey. I was camoed up and had a face mask on. We each saw each other at the same time at 10 yards. I now know what a coyote's face looks like when it screams in terror. He was wearing his terror face and took off never looking back. If I had a shotgun I would have rolled him.

I got to the first road that intersects the road I was on and made a right. As I reached a small slough with some water a hog burst out from thick palmettos on the other side of the road 5 feet from me. Two jumps and it was gone without a sound.

I went on past the feeder and into the cypress “SWAMP”, keeping the palmettos to my left. At the feeder was a metal platform stand with a blind.

It was overcast this morning without sun. As I still hunted the “SWAMP” I thought I was heading east, southeast but every time I checked my compass I was either west, southwest or northwest. The rest of the morning was uneventful, except for spotting a few bucks in velvet. I didn’t have my watch with me and we made arrangements to meet at the cabin late morning. I was whooped from the ride and thought I would head back.

Originally I was paralleling the road that ran north and south so I thought I would head east to hit the road.  Without the sun I kept heading northeast working my way north, then northwest, then west and finally southwest.

I saw the light of an opening and headed to it. There was the feeder at the end of the road, only a HUGE cypress tree fell right on the platform stand and flattened it. I thought I walked in a circle but couldn’t figure out how I couldn’t have heard that monster tree fall!

Well I did walk in a circle and wound up at the end of the next road down from the road I was on with a feeder that looked just like the other one. Ha!

I headed back and noticed again no bugs, none, nada. I checked and my Thermocell was still on, yet I didn’t see any flying around anywhere, not even in the distance.

I got back to the cabin earlier than I intended, but still no Mike. Ray and I sat outside on the deck and still no bugs. I challenged Ray on that and he said, ‘Oh yea, wait until tonight”. We shall see.

The “SWAMP”. The reason I write “SWAMP” like this is because the definition of a swamp differs drastically from the northern Yankee swamps to what these Southern boys call a swamp!

Andrew has a Nature Conservancy Easement on this property because it is a special place. This is old growth forest that hasn’t been logged in a very long time. Some of these trees are hundreds of years old. To you other Yankees forget about calling this a swamp, it is a beautiful old growth hardwood forest. There are oaks, holly, sycamore, cypress, locust and mulberry to name a few.  If there are any pines I didn’t notice them.    

Here are some pictures of what a swamp looks like in May in South Carolina, my God what a terrible, inhospitable place (sissies).  

These are pictures of the palmettos that I hunted the first morning. Scary aren’t they?

We sat around and waited for Mike. Mike arrived around noon and we had lunch. We then went out to do some practice shooting at a boar 3d target.

Now being good hosts and showing good southern hospitality and manners, both Ray and Mike made sure they didn’t shoot near my tight group of arrows in the kill zone. They would shoot far forward or far back and real low or real high. They said that since I was a guest they didn’t want to make me feel bad or damage one of my arrows. Thanks guys.

After that Mike showed me his different heads he knapped out of different types of materials. He had heads he made from chert, obsidian, flint and TV glass. He did some knapping, it was fun and now I will probably have another hobby to take more of my time. Just what my wife wanted me to come back with – another hobby.

We put our game plan together for the afternoon. Ray and Mike decided that I should sit near the slough where the big boar that was missed by another hunter the evening before. That boar was being chased by Mike for several years. That is the truth and shows the kind of guys and hunting partners Ray and Mike are. They wanted me to get a hog more than either of them and the hog they wanted me to get was the big boar Mike had been chasing for several years. I offered to let them hunt him since Mike was on him for years, but they insisted I get him.

I also finally found out what the real trophy on a boar is. It is his nuts! Every big boar that was discussed always ended in, “and he had a set nuts this big!”, as Mike or Ray would make a circular sign with their hands the size of a basketball.

Silly me, I always thought it was the tusks! Live and learn, I was close I just had the wrong end of the hog as a trophy.

The evening hunt will follow shortly.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Wow, some story telling. Sure wish I could figure out how to hunt that place in May without skeeters!   :dunno:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
:campfire:  

This is gettin good.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Awesome story telling. Cant wait to read the rest. One day I have get down and hunt Rays
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Reading this is JUST LIKE HUNTING AT RAYS! I'm saving this thread in my favorites! Can't wait to find out what happens next!
Thom

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    :laughing:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Gil you spin one heckuva good story!  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
It's all lies I tell ya!    :bigsmyl:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Great story telling.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
Friday evening’s hunt.

After our game plan was made, I laid down to catch a cat nap. I am used to driving but I messed up planning this drive. Wherever we hunt in the U.S. we drive. We always do DIY hunts so we bring a lot of gear. We drive from N.J. to Montana, Colorado, Maine and Ohio. These are the places we usually hunt. Last year we drove straight through to Colorado on an elk DIY hunt, this year we will be doing that hunt again.

I thought the ride to Rays would be a breeze, but I worked outside all day and headed out at 10 PM. I had a 12 to 14 hour drive ahead of me. Around 1 AM I pulled into a rest stop to catch a half hour of sleep, because I had a hard time keeping my eyes open. I woke up and it was 4:30 AM!  Now I had another 11 hours to go and thought I would have to drive straight through to make sure I wouldn’t be late to meet Ray at Whiggens. Ray and I were to meet at 6 PM, so it was good thing I did drive straight through since Ray arrived early a little after 4 PM.

When I hit the hay for a cat nap, Ray and Mike took the John Deere Gator to throw some corn out in the sloughs and drainage ditches. These hogs can smell that corn once it gets wet in the slough.

When they returned Ray thought I should head out right away to get to where he wanted me to set up for that big boar. I was supposed to head west on the road out of camp, then make a left at the first cross roads and head south. About a mile down the road there is a large pine just outside of the short pines (you can’t miss it). Another road intersects the road I was on at that pine. I was to make a left on that road. Ray said I would see two fingers of “OAKS”. He said I should sit just before the first oak finger where the short pines meet it.

Ray and Mike had thrown corn in the puddles in the drainage ditches along the roads I would be going down and they recommended I keep my eyes open.

I knew where these areas were where the corn was from a previous hunt the day before and my hunt in January. I felt I had to make some time to set up for the boar, but I was careful and glassed ahead of me. I always tried to walk along one side of the road or the other to try break up my outline.

I made it to the crossroads and after going about three quarters of the way to the large pine I saw a nice hog cross the road and either go right up the road I was going to turn on or he went into the short pines on my side of the road. This was around 3 PM.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, I made sure that my $90 South Carolina “SWAMP” bug protection was fired up, but I didn’t spray on the Duranon. This whole South Carolina “SWAMP” bug thing is becoming suspect to me. You will see why in a little while.

As I continued up the road I still hunted and glassed a lot in case that pig was still close to where I saw it go in. I made a left at the big pine and continued to glass and still hunt up the road to reach the first “OAK” finger. As I reached the first hardwood finger, I thought “ah dis must be da place”. The only problem was there were no oaks! Well there was one oak the rest were cypress and sycamore.

I thought to myself, man these guys went to a lot of trouble to get me a shot at trophy hog so I need to make sure I am in the right spot. I continued up the road, came to a small section of short pines and then another finger of hardwoods. You guessed it, no oaks more cypress and sycamore. I thought I went this far so I might as well go a little further up the road to make sure. I finally found an area of oaks but they were on the wrong side of the road, where another road intersected and metal platform stand was knocked over. Now if the oaks were past a road and the metal platform stand I was sure Ray would have mentioned those points to me. At this point I knew I must have not heard Ray correctly since I know he never makes mistakes, so I headed back down to the first finger of “OAKS” at the edge of the short pines.

Right there and then  I decided that after the hunt I was going to write a book to translate South Carolina hunting terms into Yankee hunting terms for my northern brothers and sisters in case they head south to Rays for a hunt. I have two terms at this point, like “SWAMP” – beautiful, lush, old growth hardwood forest or “OAK FINGER” – small section of hardwoods, it doesn’t matter what kind they are. I will have a few more translations before the hunt is over.  

Now I looked for a good spot to setup on the right side of the road along the drainage ditch where Ray (oops I mean the other hunter) missed the hog the night before and kicked up the covey of sows.  I found a good spot and cleared away a path to quietly be able to step to the road in the event I had to, to get a clear shot.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
I was waiting for you to chime in Ray.

Can't wait for the rest of Gil's lies!!!!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Great story,not as good as being there but it'll have to do for now. Love that place!I didn't find the bugs to bad either time I was there but I was raised on northern Maine black flies,anything seems tame after that.
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Ooh! This is a fun thread!!

Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Lies lies lies is that all they know how to do in New Jersey???!!!!!  

When someone wants to see an example of "literary license" I'll just point them here!!!!

:readit:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
This is so good!  Anyone up for a July trip?  

I'll bring the Woodford (in case of sanke/bug bites)!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Lies! Lets talk lies - "SWAMP", "BUGS", "HEAT", "HUMIDITY". You know I am about to disclose the truth about what goes on down there between April and September and you are afraid I will spill the beans!  

You know I do not speak with fork tongue and there is plenty more to come in this hunting story!

:saywhat:
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
:campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Gil, I know exactly where you are at this point in the story. That's where I mmmmmiiiissssssed a hog in February.

We've also learned that Ray and Mike speak their own language that no one else can understand. You know, kind of like twins. Kick one in the shins and the other will yell Ouch! Strange dudes indeed.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Hey I resemble that remark!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©