3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heading to Ray's for some Memorial Day pork!  (Read 1351 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heading to Ray's for some Memorial Day pork!
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
(Jeez Ray, didn't this guy sign the special Yankee Non-Disclosure Statement?)

Dear fellow yankees,
South Carolina is scary. Really scary. It's full of swamps with giant man eating alligators. There are poisonous snakes under every plant and log. Ticks are known to suck all the blood out of a fully grown man within an hour, leaving just bones and dust. The spiders are known to scent stalk hunters at high speed by the thousands. I also know there is a deadly sasquatch that has stalked through those swamps on occasion. Oh and there are no hogs in South Carolina, that's just a mean lie.
Thom

(BTW Ray, I need to get my next hunt scheduled.)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Thom, Ray forgot to have me sign. He thought I looked too stupid to figure out the lies. I sure fooled him.

Ha, just goes to show you, you can't judge a book by its cover!

Just wait until the end. I am going to really disclose the truth about this place and include my Yankee dictionary, so our Yankee brothers and sisters can cut through the bull when Ray tries to talk them into January through March!

I will teach them not to judge someone by their looks in the future.

I may have to do it fast though, because sneaky Ray is friends with Terry. Terry is another southerner and they stick together. Plus Terry hunts hogs in that area too.

Ray will try to have this thread deleted and me banned. Not at least before I can get the whole truth out, I hope.

I may have to have you spread the word and finish this factual tale of real events that occurred down there, if I bite the bullet on behalf of our comrades in arms!

I am willing to fall on my sword and sacrifice myself, in the name of truth, justice and the American way of life!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
:clapper:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
HEy Mike

Nickname?   Rip Van Verwey!!!!   :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Well Ray promised to set the alarm so I could hit the slough early and we went to bed. Around 2:30 AM I had a call to nature that woke me up. I was in the back bedroom with the two bunk beds.

Now if you are not familiar with Ray’s camp here is the layout. Ray has single wide trailer with a big covered front deck. When you walk in the front door the bathroom and a bedroom are to the right. To the left is the kitchen, followed by the living room and then the back bedroom where I was staying.

When you make the left facing the back bedroom there is the kitchen table on the left and on the right is the sink, stove and refrigerator. As you walk into the living room there is a couch on the left and chairs on the right.

I was sleeping in the back bedroom and Ray sleeps on the couch. When nature called I got up and walked into the living room. I was half asleep (as usual) and looked down at the couch. I saw the pillow and crumpled up blankets and thought Ray was sleeping. As I went a little further I saw Ray reading at the kitchen table. I yelled, “ Hey Ray I thought you were sleeping”!

Ray must have had an encounter that day with the Devil’s Pilar too. Just like when that hog exploded right next to me and scared, “the you know what” outa me, Ray hadn’t seen or heard me and I scared, “the you know what”, outa him. I wondered if it was as good for the hog that scared me, as it was for me when I scared Ray.

Ray just about jumped outa his skin and yelled, “man you scared the you know what outa me”. I just said nature called headed on to the bathroom and chalked up Ray’s fear to an encounter with the Devil’s Pilar earlier in the day, like mine.

On the way back to bed Ray said he couldn’t sleep so he thought he would read. I told him he ought to have another Stoli, that would make him sleep. He said, “are you crazy, if I have another Stoli I will never get up tomorrow morning”.

Well Ray went back to sleep, but he should have had the Stoli since he didn’t get up anyway! We got up the sun was shining, the birds were singing and the hogs were long gone past my slough.

I decided that I was going to take the long walk around the road and slough and just enjoy more of the “SWAMP” before I left.

It was gorgeous day. There was supposed to be a big storm moving in (Tropical Storm Beryl) but it wasn’t here yet. You would think that with the lush forest it would be muggy, hot and humid, like a greenhouse effect, but it wasn’t. It was quite the opposite. While it was hot everywhere else, in the “SWAMP” it is 10 degrees cooler. There also seems to be a nice breeze most of the time, at least there was the whole time I was down there.

I walked the roads for a long time. I was trying to find the river. In NJ we have holy trees and bushes, but down here I saw a holy tree that was 70 feet tall. I have never seen a holy that big and never knew they could grow that big. I saw some mulberry trees with leaves like elephant ears. Man the tree wasn’t that big but the leaves made up for that. I thought I had gotten close to the river because I thought I had heard a baby alligator. I thought I must be wrong because I didn’t see any water anywhere.

I decided to turn around and head back so I could clean up and head out to beat the storm. I did not want to drive 14 hours in downpour. I started to head back and heard a couple of hogs fighting. I tried to pinpoint where they were but they stopped after a few seconds.

I headed back to the cabin. I showered for the ride and packed up my gear. Ray and Mike were packing also. Ray offered to let me hunt and Mike is always ready to go (unless it 5:00 AM) and wanted to hunt. It was getting close to noon and that storm was heading in, so I thought I had a great trip and didn’t want to push it.

I gathered and packed my gear. On the way out I thought I would sweep up the cabin. I put the remainder of my stuff down on the couch, swept out the cabin and headed out. Ray is going to mail me the stuff I forgot on the couch this week!

I hate leaving that place as anyone can tell you that has gone. I said goodbye to Mike and Ray. They said drive save and waved as I headed out.

Now I bet you are saying man he said he saw the most hogs of the trip on this day, what happened. Here is what. I swear this is true.

I headed out the long driveway from the cabin to the road. I noticed my GPS wasn’t moving so I thought I would stop at the end of the driveway and reroute it. I stopped and when I was done resetting the route I looked up and here they come! At least 20 hogs run 30 yards from my car on my right from the other side of the road into Ray’s property. They were all jet black and 5 were monsters. The big ones actually looked like they had big shoulders and a mane running down their necks.

I couldn’t be sure they were trophy boars since they were quartering towards me and we all know now that the trophy is on the other end!

I swear that I saw three of the little ones stick their tongues out at me and I thought I saw four of the big ones flip me the bird. I backed up that long driveway at about 40 miles an hour. Ray and Mike were outside by the cabin and they looked at me like I was nuts.

I yelled there are 20 hogs that just ran into the property 5 were huge. They just looked at each other and smiled and said, “oh yea”. I knew right there it was another low down southern trick played on a Yankee. I figured they hid them hogs over there and while I was in the shower went across the street and re-released them since I was heading home.

As usual Mike wanted to go and hunt, Ray’s knee was killing him (I think he sprained it when he jumped when I scared him the night before) and I had to beat the storm. I was tempted though.

I really did try to give you a good idea of what it is like to hunt at Ray’s. I may have used a small (very small) amount of "literary license" to make it more interesting, but what I said in this story is all true.

The property Ray has is very special. It is diverse and healthy. It is part of Nature Conservancy Easement because it is so special. There are plenty of hogs and other wildlife to keep you on your toes and enjoy the hunt. Every moment I thought I would see a hog.

The woods are similar to northern hardwood forests with additional flora like cypress and palmetto. There were absolutely no bugs. I used my Thermocell the first night and first full day of hunting. After that I left it off because it was not necessary. I did not see one mosquito, gnat, tick or chigger. I did not get one bite.

The pines are like any other pine forest, but the swamp is anything but a swamp. It was dry. As you can see by the pictures it is a beautiful, lush, old growth forest. There aren’t many places left that have that age forest. It is worth the trip to just walk amongst those giants.  

Now there has been a drought down there for 5 years and I would imagine that if they get a lot of rain for an extended period time, the Savannah River will rise and fill the sloughs with water, but now it is easy great hunting. The swamp is 10 degrees cooler than the areas surrounding it. In the swamp I did not feel any humidity while I was there.

In May the flora is green and healthy and it is quiet walking. When I went in January the flora was brown and it was noisy walking. If you wanted to still hunt through the swamp you had to walk the tops on the sycamore leaves. In May you can walk anywhere and be quiet.

If you look at the pictures in Ray’s sponsor thread, you will see Jeremiah with a nice hog. I was on that hunt with Jeremiah. Look at the background of that picture. Then look at the next picture that was put up on May 13. That is the same spot and you can see the difference.

I am going next year again. I have my choice to book anytime I want since it is so early. The first quarter of the year is nice and the fall Mike likes the best because the acorns are falling and the grapes are in. The weather in the fall was like it was when I went Memorial Day weekend. In the fall I go on trips for elk, deer or moose so I am out of luck for the fall. I can go between January and March, having done both now I am choosing May again. I am going to pick the weekend at the end of May that has the best moon for hunting hogs. If none of the moons are favorable I will shoot for July.

I miss that place already and can’t wait until next year.

I have one more thing I promised and will finish this thread with that. That will be “The Poor Mans Guide and Dictionary to Hunting Terms of the South”. Tomorrow I will update the thread for the final time. I bet you guys are saying finally and thank God!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
No sir....hate to see it end!  :(
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
I am glad you enjoyed it David.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did experiencing it and writing about it.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Gil,
You are one funny guy!  Having had Ray's hospitality and hunting just up the road, your take on the Savannah River area is a gas.  The Chiggers are just up the street if you are really looking for them  :)   Thanks...Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Jeff you are a fellow Yankee. I guess Terry has you brain washed about the bugs too. I didn't get one bite at Ray's.

I came back to the Jersey Pinelands and a friend needed firewood for a fire pit at a barbecue. I walked down to where my firewood was. I put about 15 pieces in her truck. I wound up with 15 chigger bites. One for each piece of wood. I even got a bite in my belly button. Now anybody that has ever been bitten by a chigger knows how annoying a bite in the belly button would be. Especially when you have a belly button like mine and need climbing and mining gear to get down in it to itch it! Boy is that annoying.

I will send you an autographed first edition of The Poor Mans Guide and Dictionary to Hunting Terms of the South. It sounds like you may need it with the crew you are hunting with also.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Gil,
Great story, I don't believe there was any Literary License at all.  Pretty much how I remember it, but my mind is going.  Can't wait to get back to Hog Heaven again.  Ray Reid and I usually try for late Jan.  
Glad you had another great adventure.
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Great story.  I miss the place too.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Guys here is the final installment.

The Poor Mans Guide and Dictionary to Hunting Terms of the South

Here is the dictionary for my brothers and sisters from north of the Mason Dixon line.

I will give you the term, then southern hunting definition and follow it with a northern translation.

“SWAMP”

Term used in the south to prevent people traveling south of the Mason Dixon line between April and September. It is used to provide privacy and keep some of the best hog hunting for themselves.

A term used to describe a beautiful, lush, old growth forest with historical significance. A place where southern people migrate to during April through September. A place in the south where it is generally ten degrees cooler and less humid than the surrounding areas. A place where caterpillars and butterflies dwell.

“BUGS”

Same definition as “Swamp” above and used for the same purpose.

A general term to describe butterflies, catapillars and Verwey horseflies. The horseflies were named after famed naturalist Gil Verwey, because as soon as they stop moving they fall asleep and are easy prey.

“Gil Verwey”

Pig repellant.

Seeker of the light and bastion of truth.  

“SNAKES”

Same definition as “Swamp” above and used for the same purpose.

Things you don’t see in the “SWAMP”.

“ALLIGATORS”

Same definition as “SNAKES”.

“OAK FINGER”

Local term for small section of hardwoods. Any kind of hardwood. Often used to confuse people north of the Mason Dixon line.

No need for a translation here.

“Trophy Hog”

A hog with nuts the size of basketballs.

People of the north would rather use the other end of the hog to judge a trophy.

“POST”

A place to set up in wait for a trophy hog.

A quiet comfortable place to sleep.

“Still Hunt”

A method of hunting used to slowing pursue your quarry, often stopping and glassing.

A way to stay awake and enable you to possibly see your quarry as apposed to posting which enables the hunter to rest and dream of their quarry.

“Thermocell”

What people in the south tell people of the north to bring down to keep the catapillars and butterflies away. Also used to help increase southern 401Ks, since people of the south are heavily invested in the company.

Can be used up north successfully in the spring, summer and early fall to keep the annoying biting bugs away.  

“Permanone”

What people in the south tell people of the north to bring down to keep the catapillars and butterflies away. Also used to help increase southern 401Ks, since people of the south are heavily invested in this company too.

Can be used up north successfully in the spring, summer and early fall to keep the ticks and chiggers away.

“Woodford Reserve”

A remedy for annoying swamp bug bites.

A favorite libation of people of the south. They are pious people and do not buy it, but feel is OK to drink OPs (other peoples).

“Stoli Vodka”

A stronger more medicinal remedy for annoying swamp bug bites.

A favorite libation of people of the north. The pious people of the south also do not buy it, but feel is OK to drink OPs (other peoples). It is used when they do not feel like doing dishes and need an excuse to sleep in, in the mroning.

“Get up early”

Maybe.

What you can not expect to do all the time while hunting in the south.

“Rudabaga”

A favorite vegetable in the south.

Musical vegetables, that produce a cover scent. At all costs should prevent southern hunting partners from consuming. It could prove disastrous later on, if you are not successful.

“Map”

Something that southern people refuse to provide to their hunting guests in order to enjoy the moment after they are found while being lost in the “SWAMP”.

Useful hunting tool to prevent getting turned around in a “SWAMP” and plan a successful hunt.

“Topo Quadrant”

A secret name that is held close to their heart and kept secret in order to ensure their hunting guests get a little turned around in the “SWAMP” in order to increase their own self esteem and ensure that there will be plenty of hunting opportunities for them between April and September.

Another tool used by hunters to scout, effectively plan a hunt, increase the potential of a successful hunt and ensure proper navigation in the wilderness.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Aldo say hello to Ray.

Good luck in the fall. If that is Mike's favorite time down there it must be pretty good. You should have great weather and some good hunting if you do November.

January should be great too. Keep me posted on how you did.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Special thanks to Gil for the dictionary. As a member of a northern tribe who have been described by southern gentlemen Ray and Mike as "short on brains", this should prove invaluable on future trips to the Hog Heaven swamp. And to think Ray had us hunt into the northern like briar and brambles of the short pines as we probably would not survive even a morning in the swamp.
Rom 1:20

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Oooo Mike that bugger Ray made you do that? Ouch!

That is where the most pigs are, but man those briars are like fish hooks aren't they?

The first time I went in there one grabbed me and I was afraid to move for a few minutes until I could figure out how to get that tiger claw out of me.

I am adding them to the dictionary. Thanks for reminding me.

If you think of others don't be afraid to add them. This is a collaborative effort by us northerners to protect us from the predatory and deceptive ways of southern hunters and terms.

In January I went in there and got tangled in those things. I told Ray they were like fish hooks. Naturally Ray gave me a Mike answer, "well that is why the pigs like it"?

I bet they do. They probably have a deal with Ray. He sends the hunters in there after them and the pigs roll on the ground laughing at the hunters screaming and struggling in pain to free themselves.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Well done Gil! Thanks for the pix & stories. Hunting w/friends is great stuff!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Gil thanks for the great stories and pics of your hunt.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Jesus we will have to make a story of our own at the Hill Hog Hunt. I hope we can get together down there in March.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
"fish hook" is a good description of those thorns!

Fortunately for me a thunderstorm came thru about the time I was exiting the short pines. While I got drenched it did wash most of the blood out of my hunting clothes. Those things are hard to get out, I am reminded of them every time I put those hunting pants back on.

Here are a few more for the Hog Heaven dictionary...

Yankee -

- a person who lives north of the Mason Dixon line

- a source of entertainment for the pigs Ray has corn fed and lovingly raised from piglets. They also harmlessly fling arrows at pigs making them more wary and a bit more of a hunting challenge for the southern man

- a person who spends more time stump shooting and looking for arrowheads than attempting to hunt.

Ditch -

- a low place filled with water where you throw corn to attract the pigs.

- a good place to have a yankee watch while the pigs are at the feeders.

Feeder -

- an automatic corn spreader set to go off 5 minutes before Ray said it would causing the unsuspecting yankee to wet himself.

- a good place to have a yankee watch while the pigs are feeding in the ditch.

Ridge -

- a slightly higher place in the swamp where pigs bed during the day.

I think I was walking along one of these ridges and took one step completely off of it into the swamp. Of course I was then hopelessly lost. Soon Ray came by in the truck and I was able to make my way back to the road which was about 20 yards to my left.

Controlled Burn -

- burning the underbrush beneath the pines to help them grow faster.

- the burn proof briars are not affected and grow even thicker to better trap a yankee.

_____ Cheese -

- I can not remember the name of this cheese,  maybe Ray can help, it grows underneath things in the south and is served to yankees on biscuits in the morning.
Rom 1:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©