3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: torn meniscus  (Read 369 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
torn meniscus
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I managed to tear the medial meniscus in my left knee. Im doing physical therapy now, but will have surgery in mid June. Anybody else been through this? I am told the recovery time should be fast. In Georgia, small game season starts in August, I am planninng on being good to go by then.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: torn meniscus
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
If the operation is done arthroscopic, you'll be hunting and ready to go in a few weeks!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Had both knees done. You should be fine by hunting season.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Been there and more.  The tear should just be a clean up and quick recovery.  Good luck, listen to your Dr.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Had mine done and the Doc put me on sick leave for 6 weeks.  I was pretty well healed in 2 weeks.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Had my left meniscus repaired on a Thursday was back to work on Monday, was stumping that Saturday. I was 100% in less than a month.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
My scope for the torn meniscus was as easy as pie, and I'm 68   :saywhat:  Walked out of the surgery center without crutches two hours after surgery, up the stairs at home....never had a pain and was back to my 3-4 mile daily walks after 2 weeks on restricted activity.  You should do fine.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
3weeks 4weeks if your old .you will feel much better

Online huntnelmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Do not push it to fast...December of 2010 I had a total knee replacement after the 3rd scope was done in June . Once menicus is gone and you are bone on bone it wears down quickly. That was at age 47. This January a year and a month after replacement I was walking up and down the ridges of the Lincoln National Forrest and took My first archery Mule deer. Good luck and take care of your knees.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
A repaired torn meniscus heals real quick.

Just count your blessings you didn't tear your rotator cuff. A repaired rotator cuff takes a l-o-n-g time to heal.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I have a complex tear, been nursing it since July last year..got dumped on by W-Comp insurance, they say I have to live with it. Instead of the scope surgery I am thinking about trying Regenexx, a Stem Cell procedure. The stem cells come from your own bone marrow and are put into the area of the tear.. the stem cells are also good for arthritus and ligament repairs.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
I requested a spinal tap and watched my doc do mine live on overhead screen. It was very interesting, as he talked me thru the whole thing.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by steadman:
Had both knees done. You should be fine by hunting season.
Ditto. If not sooner.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 02:27:00 AM »
This is good news. I am sheduled for bilateral arthroscopic knee surgery pretty soon. Apparently, I have damaged the meniscus on both knees, but it is a comfort to know the repairs won't put me out of commission very long, if at all. Good luck with yours, Uncle Buck!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. The Dr says thats the omnly thing wrong with my knee, other than what he calls " a liitle age appropriate arthritis"(I'm 58). I am not even worried about missing fishing season now!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Paul, you Georgia boys are tough, you'll do fine. Had 2 scopes on my left knee, one on my right. I'll be 58 next month. No major problems. Follow doctors advice and don't be a super hero or too macho. The process will go better for you!Good luck.  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Had my left knee done back in the 90's, bout 3 wks to get over it.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I am amazed by the success stories from you guys.

I tore mine playing high school football and didn't realize it. Several years of loose cartiledge floating around in my knee did lots of wear to surrounding tissue. Finally had arthoscopic surgery to cut out the torn pieces. Needed it again about 13yrs later. Both recoveries were the most painful thing I ever experienced. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

The last surgery was 14yrs ago. If I don't do anything other than walk on firm level ground I'm usually OK. If I'm stupid and try to squat or hike in deep snow it will flare up and will be pretty painful for a couple weeks.

I guess the key is to get it fixed right away. Playing football back in the 70's you were encouraged to man up and "walk it off".

Good luck, hope all goes well for you!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
The only caveat is that there are two ways to do it. If they remove the torn "flap" recovery is quick but long range chances of some type of arthritis are greater. If it is repairable, which means they can sew the flap back to where it belongs then recovery is much longer but the future is brighter. Decisions, decisions.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Been there and done that...I walked out of the hospital room when they discharged me and I was back to normal a day or two later...no biggie!
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©