3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado elk scout report, update #3  (Read 318 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado elk scout report, update #3
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Going to be a dry year here in Colorado and the state is preparing for the worst, holding back water and already fire bans in effect down low. This usually is a good indicator of what will happen up higher later in the summer. A big fire  already near Ft Collins that hit almost 8 thousand acres lickity split- not good.

It is raning today, but it has been amazing how fast the moisture evaporates out of the ground with the higher than normal temps and low humidity.

Scout for seeps, cool slopes with shade and any place the elk can get relief. Does not have to be water on the surface but places that have enough that will support green. Wallows are going to be a bigger factor this year in some areas IMO- think it through and have a plan in case you find a wallow in your area that is also being used as a relief pool from the heat. The elk wil use these wallows more regularly and longer than those just for the rut.

Drought is a natural part of the West's climate cycle. Learn to use it and accept it. Otherwise it can realy push down on your enjoyment just like constant rain can.  My own go to relief is good drink mixes and a really good evap shirt that keeps my body temp from spikes.

Saw several moose, a fox and some ass stole some stuff from one of our tree stands- but it was good to be out in the high country again.

Rock on!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado elk scout report, update #3
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Same thing here too Josh! Lookin for the good water  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I hunt a property along the colorado/wyoming border between cheyenne and laramie that normally doesnt contain too many elk. there is only one mountain on the property with heavy woods, its sort of foothill/plains climate. Usually i only find good populations of mule deer and antelope on the property but because it has several spring fed creeks that never go dry and on dry years like this the elk move in big time! should be a simmilar scenario this year.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Yeah, I'm glad I pulled my first choice tag for some higher country this year, think my second choice might not be a good choice this year, time will see
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the info on the conditions and your thoughts on how to hunt during them. I'm planning on making a "bonzai" scouting run in early August when I bring my daughter out to Loveland to do her student teaching. Are the dry conditions statewide or spotty throughout, I'll be west of Walden in the Zirkel Wilderness area.

Steve

Offline Trout Guide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Down here in the SW part of the state our snowpack is way below normal. I drew a unit 76 elk tag and was able to get into an area yesterday around 11000 ft to look around that is normally covered in snow until late June. Also, in the area there were a lot of beetle killed trees. Hopefully we'll get our normal summer rains to green things up. Otherwise great info from Joshua.
John 3:16

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Congrats on the unit 76 tag, good memories hunting that area. Thanks for the heads up on the conditions.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Stykbow, the drought is pretty statewide. We have already had several wildfires, 2 that were quite large and destructive. The one Joshua mentioned and the Lower North fork fire, which was south west of Denver. The take away from the one outside of Fort Collins or called the Hewlett fire is that he was using a portable stove that was knocked over and ignited the dry vegetation. So clear an area around the place you intend to use your portable stove while visiting this year. Also the BLM have instituted a ban on their lands of fire, the reg are in the link below.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20689595/blm-fire-bans-effect-beginning-thursday?IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Hey old goat the Colorado draw results are posted online as of this morning if that's were you applied. I checked this morning and found I got drawn for 23,24 and 33.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by dlnwohio:
Hey old goat the Colorado draw results are posted online as of this morning if that's were you applied. I checked this morning and found I got drawn for 23,24 and 33.
I knew last weekend that I drew my first choice because my preference points went to zero. I do a party draw with my gal and want to hunt units closer to home. We take vacation to go, but I like to go for day hunts also.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
It's been dry almost everywhere I've been turkey hunting around 8,500-10,500 feet up except for one area in the SW where I was sliding around on clay for 4 days and it hadn't rained there in 2 weeks...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Took a nice 12 mile round trip jaunt with a bunch of bushwacking. True to elk scouting it was an area I will never return to hunt- just not good on the ground compared to on the map.

But thats how you find out- boot leather on the ground.  Another day saved from being wasted during the season.

Does not look good for water. Already dusty dry and the grasses at under 10,00 feet are going to be toast by September, unless you find seeps that have kept going. Last year we had 30 inch tall grss everywhere and green into September.

Did I mention another big fire here already- I helped one guy who had blown his radiator pulling a steep slow switchback grade along the fire detour with all his stuff in a bumper pull in hopes to save what he could. Pretty bad out here for those who have lost homes.
Saw a nice bull moose growing some big antlers, a fox, some deer and idjits playing frizbee in the middle of the road in the dark. I didn't have a tag for them, but almost harvested one anyway, by accident.

Rock on.

Joshua

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Boy is it dry. Still september is gonna happen, sounds like you'll be ready. We don't find out what tag we get here in wyoming for a couple more weeks, but either way I am sooo anxious. Keep the reports coming!
is it September yet??

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
AI think you guys are right.  It's gonna be a very dry hunt season.  Good year to hang at timberline!

OTOH, I've seen a few years that started like this and ended with a super wet ending to august.  Be ready for anything!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
The low and mid-elevation hunts are going to be tough this year.  Search for out-of-the-way water holes, cattle water lines (many on public lands) and don't forget to go high!  It usually stays moist above timberline so keep those little holes in mind.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I went up to my area for the first time a week ago yesterday and bumped a biggg old bull out of his bed, didn't see any new sign other than him. But things really aren't that far along up that high, quite a few snow drifts in the bowl I was checking out and the little shrubs were just starting to bud their leaves, so will wait till later in the summer and check it out again. One really awsome thing about that area was there was more rotten old stumps in that one canyon than all the other rotten stumps I've seen in the rest of my jaunts in Colorado combined. Had a great time actually stumping instead of shooting flowers and mole hills etc..
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
keep the updates coming fellas it really is appreciated! I'm about 9hrs due east of my hunting area and it sounds like it's as dry here as it is there cracks in the ground you could lose a good dog in   :eek:  I'll be out the 2nd weekend of Aug. for a quick scouting trip. Thanks again for the updates!

Steve

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
We put in a good bushwack into what we call the Dead Bull area where we hunt. There is water, but not a lot of it and the forage, though there, is not lush, except in small pockets of wet.
We have to climb straight up for about a 700 foot elevation gain in 1/4 mile to get to this bench.
As it happened, a nice black bear had made the same climb just a day or so earlier- if you don't appreciate how athletic wild animals are, following this bruins trail would give you some idea. They are VERY capable. This guy made a bee-line up this slope so straight it looked like he used a transit. ("WE" had to switchback in many places).
We had some lightening and the typical banshee micro storm- not smart to be up on any high places when these come and for you folks coming from back east to hunt be sure to get lower before the rain comes. The lightening will often arrive first.

The better you know your area will be very important this year due to the drought IMO.  Put the leather down if you can.

Joshua

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
I'll be heading out Aug 8th for a quick trip hopefully I'll be able to find what I'm looking for.This will be in an area that we spent quit a bit of time in last year so my plan is to head for high country to glass evenings and check out a few of the wallows and seeps during the day. My time will be extremely limited(1 1/2 days) any suggestions would be welcome!

Steve

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 03:43:00 AM »
It's raining just about every day in my area now, vegetation is looking pretty good, animals will be dispersing again because theres food and water every where again. Could change a lot in the next month, only time will tell and the elk will be where we find them!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©