3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Could it be my new Tall Tines I've been waiting for??? Went on the hunt today!!!  (Read 454 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
I didn't think today could get any better.  I started off the day at my Surgeon's office finding out that he is releasing me from the cast on my leg/foot, and allowing me to wear tennis shoes for 1 1/2 weeks, then I can get my right side opperated on.  Awesome news...Right?

Well, I get home, and as I get out of the truck, I see this little piece of paper stuck in the front door.  Ever had one of those dreams where your running, and can't get anywhere?  Well I was living it.  Hard enought to just walk, let alone wanting to get somewhere quick.

Here is what I find in the door.

Paper says my package is at the post office.  So, what's a guy to do?  Should I wait?  Oh, HECK NO, I drove myself right to the post office to claim my prize.  I go up to the counter when it's my turn, and hand the paper to the lady who takes it and goes in the back room.

She returns a few LONG minutes later holding only the paper I gave here, and said "I have some bad news for you".  My mind instantly went to a good buddy who had just bought a priceless piece of stone art work that was damaged by the Post Office.  I calmly asked what the problem was.  She says that the package is still in the mail truck and she won't be back till 4.  That I could return then and pick it up.  You don't know the relief I had when she told me what the problem was.

I get back in the truck, and I say to myself "Self, you can go home and wait, or you can be the hunter you are and get your quarry".  I chose to go into full predator mode.  My mind
instantly pictured the surrounding area.  I jumped on the phone trying to find where she might be, I called friends who are scatered all over the area to find out about their postal driver.  My brain was going 2 million miles a minute (usually it's at only 1 million) thinking where would she go after she leaves my compound?  I hit every back road and subdivision in a 5 mile radius of my place, and nothing.  I hit Mill Lake, and and there was the Postal truck.  Only it is a different driver.  So I do a little small talk (scouting) and find out where she goes after my place.

I went thru probably 1/4 tank of gas in my search, and honestly was just about to give up, when I turned the corner, and there was MY Postal Lady.  Her face lit up when she seen me, and reached for my box.

Here is the fruits of my relentless pursuit.  NEVER GIVE UP!!! (sorry for the fuzzy picture, i was shaking with excitement)

Your going to have to hold on a few while I open this, and admire the piece of art that was hunted down today,before I get any more pictures up.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Dang Mike, You should have just let her re-deliver it tomorrow, then you would've had 2 good days in a row! But.... you done good!

Can't wait to see some pics!    :readit:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry about the last pic, but I was shaking with excitement.

Bow was meticulously wraped and packed.  Brian did a great job making sure the bow arrived, the exact same way he sent it.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
I thought I was the only one who drove around and looked for the mail truck when I had a bow out for delivery!   :biglaugh:  Congrats on the new bow!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
When I ordered the bow, I had just planned a hunting/family trip to Hawaii, and wanted a beautiful/funtional piece of art to hunt with, and I had been browsing the vendors at all the shows and asking every possible question I could.  I choose the Tall Tines because of the attention to detail, awesome wood choice on the display bows, and to tell you the truth, a NO BS guy that owns and runs Tall Tines.  Not that everyone else is, but with Brian you know EXACTLY what your gonna get.

I have always wanted an ebony bow, but I had a certain look in my mind.  I told Brian what I wanted, and I made it clear I DO NOT like plain wood grain.  In my eyes, that type of wood is for painting.  If I was going to use clear glass, I told Brian to think "Ebony Burl"  I highly doubt there is such a thing on the planet, but it gave him an idea of what I was after, and it had to be a chocolate color.  There are two things in life that bring me comfort, and 1st it's my chocolate lab, Grizz, and 2nd, my king sized recliner.  So I wanted to have a 3rd option to bring me comfort.  

Then Brian asked me about the riser.  I told him that I want to be able to shoot 1 arrow from every bow I shoot without changing a thing.  I even built 3 arrows and mailed them to him and said to make the riser fit the arrows.  I wanted it cut 3/16" past center, with a small throat, and a nice palm swell.  Kinda like a recurve, but retain the longbow look.  I'm calling the grip the "Presidential Grip".  For it is definatly fit for a President, and anybody else deserving of fine craftsmanship.

As you can see from the pics, Brian knocked this Tall Tines right out of the park.  He hit everything dead on that I wanted.  I even got some "Special" sheep horn limb tips.  Reason being...If I'm going to break this bow in on horned animals, why not get a little "horny" to start it off right.

Now to fletch up the arrows I made to compliment this bow and I can see how it shoots.  Oh believe me, I'm not going to wait till they are done, I just might have a few sitting around waiting for the chance to be rocketed to their destination.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Dark Chocolate my favorite!
Sweet looking bow, now let's see some pics of shafts sent to their destination!

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful bow!  Great story too!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Ask and you shall receive Hal.

Here is the only three groups of 3 arrows I shot.  I figure with shooting like this, I better quit.

All shots were taken indoors at 30 feet (10 yards).  I have full vision of being closer when hunting this year, and I will deffinately get outside and practice further when I'm able to get around better, but for now, 30 feet will have to do.

1st group, aimed center dot.  I think I got it.

2nd group, I got comfortable after the first and allowed myself to aim a little higher, and go for the top center dot.  Not bad, I love the classic D shape of a longbow.

After the 3rd group, I had to call it quits.  When I heard the 2nd arrow smack the 1st, then the 3rd hit both of them, I knew I just found my last bow.  

Other bows will come and go, but this one is staying with me till I'm gone, then my boys can fight over it.  It is a very rare day I have so much go right, and these 3 groups just put the icing on the cake.  Now if you don't mind, I'm, going to sit in my recliner, scratch my dogs ears, and admire this awesome creation.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Deal!!
With shooting like that I guess the wives pillows are safe, can't say the same for your arrows though!  :thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
   :archer2:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
I used to put stuffed animals around it, but then my youngest thought it would be fun to shoot at them, so I switched over to the pillows, which by the way are older than me.  My folks bought them when my Dad was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Sometime in the late 60's, but you probably got that from the funky colors.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice Mike. I can see some ebony footed arrows in the future.  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Picking up some ebony next month as a matter of fact.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
I love the reflection in the first pic LOL!! Let me know how the ebony footing goes, I really want to foot some arrows with it this year. Make sure you stop by at Comptons!! Good luck with the next surgery, I hope it goes as well as this one did.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Put one foot in front of the other...or is that footing? Great looking bow Mike. Will you be up to walking the course at GLLI?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
I WILL stop and visit with you at Compton Ryan.  I'm going to be looking for ALOT of chairs that weekend.  Mike, I should be all healed and cured come the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational, atleast I better be I leave 2 weeks later for Hawaii.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!  He sure does make beautiful bows.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice looking bow!
>>>------John------>

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A fabulous piece - no doubt.

Congrats!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful, great shooters, and fantastic hunting bows.  I am glad you got it just like you wanted.  Should be good for some goats and a few deer this fall    :thumbsup:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike that is a beauty for sure.  I hope your feet heal soon and your better.  As for the bow, I don't know if Brian makes an ugly bow.  He seems to build one beauty after another and your bow Mike is just a dream to look at.  Congrats on a fine bow Mike.

David

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©