3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: RH shooter with left shoulder pain?  (Read 283 times)

Offline rnickl

• Trad Bowhunter
RH shooter with left shoulder pain?
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I've recently been having pain in just under the shoulder blade near the center of my back on the left side.  I am a right hand shooter.

Anybody else run into this?  
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone complain of pain in their bow hand shoulder and I'm not sure if I should blame it on archery or some other activity I've been doing.  I was trying to step up my bow weight from 45 to 50#'s but I had only shot the heavier weight bow twice a week for two week.  It felt a bit sore a few hours after shooting, the lighter bow, one day last week but I messed it up good at work last Saturday   :(   I have hung the bows until I heal, before you guys/gals give me guff for that  ;)

Cheers,
Rick

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: RH shooter with left shoulder pain?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
Time and rest should cure your problem. As they say, "Pain....is an excellent teacher".    ;)
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
i shoot rh and my left shoulder has been hurting for a year but on the front side of the cuff. Mine came about from sleeping on it and all the tossing and turning i do. it is sore in the morning and for the first couple of shots but when it warms up its good to go.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline rnickl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »
Thanks Smokin Feathers.
Not only was today the first time I shot in the last 7 days, and my shoulder did loosen up, but I'm in the same boat with the sleeping business.  No matter how hard I try to sleep on my back I always end up on my left side cuddling the old lady to keep me warm  :)

I'm still sore as heck but seeing a few rounds sat well with me today, I think I'll have a proper go tomorrow with by shooting partner and play it by ear/feel as we shoot.

And yeah Night Wing, pain is a good teacher but probably not the most efficient or the recommended way.  :D

Rick

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
I have been dealing with it since Dec.  I think mine is the result of dislocating it in high school.  I re-injured it this last winter shoveling snow of all things. Also a left side sleeper,so that did not help. I have been going to PT and have some exercises I am doing.  Seems to be helping.  Now it is a dull ache, like tired muscles rather than the sharp pain it was.  You might have strained something, but if it persists see your doctor and try to get to a good physical therapist.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
You guys do any strength training exercises other than shooting? Sounds like a trip to a a therapist could put you on to some exercises that could help a lot.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Dealing with this on a regular basis. Google rotator cuff exercises, there are many things to do to help this. Take time off between shooting rounds and rest. Theragesic works well and long hot showers. If this persists-go to the doctor. I thought for a while my shooting was done for at least this year but time and common sense goes a long way in the healing factor.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
My bow arm shoulder and elbow were getting increasingly sore from shooting.  It didn't get better for me when I shot but worse and eased if I took a day off.  A few months ago I started a power lifting program and my shoulder pain is now gone and the elbow has improved to the point it doesn't bother me to shoot.  Check your form first.  If you roll the shoulder out instead of keeping it down that might cause the injury.  My starting power lifting wasn't related to shooting but helped anyway.  As critman said there are some simple exercises you can do to strengthen the rotator cuff that should help.  Good luck!

Offline rnickl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the input folks.  I'm an ex-rock climber and my back is in still pretty good shape but, maybe not as good as I thought.  Or maybe just the wrong parts are still in good shape.

I'll check out the exercises mentioned and hopefully I can work this knot out of my back before I feel the need to see a Doc.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Switched to lefty because of left shoulder pain now lm pain free. So I know about shoulder pains. Take some anti inflamatories as well as a break from shooting. And then go lefty.diamatacious earth may also help good for the joints.4 decades of roofing. I knowabout pain .oh yeah get an mri this is just what helped me.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
I hear ya. Shooting too much can do it. I have learned after many years that stretching and repetitive exercise help the most.
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
I have the same pain. Normally i shoot right handed, but went left handed a couple of years back to allow a finger joint to heal. Now my right hand first joint of my middle finger flared up, who knew that the official red neck salute could do that. Anyway, shooting left handed again mostly I got into target shooting bare bow with a fine recurve. I use a bit more of an upright stance with a greater stretch, straight arm and something totally wrong with my bow shoulder and have the same pain. I have a good chiropractor that found the hot spot and I am getting better, but I have to shoot longbow style with the shoulder blade in more of a neutral position.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
I experienced the samething a few months ago when I jumped up in weight.  I ended up having to decrease the amount of time I was shooting the heavier bow for the pain to subside. I think it was a case of overuse of the muscles and tendonitis.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©